Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Where is?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:42 am 

Anyone know where my uncle is talking about here in this para from his memoir?

"Robert Lee is buried in the Church of England Churchyard at Fence on the road to Barley and the foot O'Pendle"

Does it mean there is a burial place called 'Fence'?

Glenys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:40 am 
Spider Lady

There is a village called Fence Glenys.
It's near to Barrowford and has a church called...St Anne's I think. I'm not sure if I have the MI fiche for St Annes, I'll have a look later on.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:01 am 
Spider Lady

I do have the MI's for Fence Glenys but there is no Robert Lee listed. He either didn't have a stone or it was no longer there/visible when the MI's were recorded.

This link is to the Genuki information for Fence.
http://www.genuki.org.uk:8080/big/eng/LAN/Fence/
There is also a picture of the church.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:47 pm 
Computer Whizz

Isn't the one at Wheatley Lane in Fence, or is it the same one Mel has mentioned? Pretty sure it was a Baptist Chapel.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:15 pm 
Spider Lady

There is Wheatley Lane Inghamites. The address for it is Wheatley Lane, Fence but it isn't CofE.

There is also a Methodist church on Wheatley Lane.

Post subject: Robert Lee
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:46 am 

There is a Robert Henry Lee buried 22/3/1924 age 57 in the Wheatley Lane, Inghamite Church graveyard.
Also in the grave are Isabella Lee also buried 22/3/1924, Joyce Isabella Hargreaves and Alistair Nigel Hargreaves.

If these are the relatives you are looking for I can give you a few more details.
Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:10 am 

For all the above help thankyou! I'm afraid i have little or nothing on my LEE family so the directly above Ormerod message may well be him??
My Grandmother writes that he was a farmer at Colne (Cotton Tree) and opened a Butchers shop in Brierfield Lane Head in 1883. There is no mention anywhere of his wife ...only his children.

Any other info would be great ...

Glenys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:21 pm 

Glenys

I did a little research this morning and the grave of Robert Henry Lee I mentioned in the previous posting is not your Ancestor.

Without any additional facts for confirmation it would appear that your Robert was the son of James and Sarah Lee of Gilford Clough, Trawden.

James was born about 1814 and he and his wife Sarah appear on the 1841 census as Farmers at Gilford Clough, there is also a son James age 2 and a Robert age 20 who is probably James’ younger brother. ( Your Robert should have been at least 2 in 1841 but does not appear on the census return).

In 1851 the family is at Gilford Clough which is said to be a farm of 33 acres, with children; Robert 13, James 11, Henry 9, Andrew 7 Benjamin 4 and Mary 1.

Still at Gilford Clough in 1861 James is farming 36 acres, Robert is now a Stone Quarrier and the remaining boys are ‘Power Loom cotton weavers’

Robert Lee appears to have married Martha Smith at Burnley in 1863 (Jan Qtr 8e 227)
In the 1871 census they are at Blacko Laith, Gt Marsden where Robert is a farmer of 57 acres. There is a son John age 11 and other children Sarah 7, Mary Jane 5 and James 2. John appears to have been born out of wedlock as Martha Smith is living with her sister in 1861 in Leeds Street Habergham Eaves while baby John Smith age 1 is with an uncle John Smith at Higher Dryclough, Gt Marsden, the next farm to Swains Platt where Robert and Martha lived in the next decade.

In 1881 Robert is a farmer of 45 acres at Swains Platt, Gt Marsden (Nelson) the children are then Sarah, Mary Jane, James and Ellen 8, Martha 6 and Susanah 2.

As you mentioned Robert became a butcher and in 1891, and a widower, is at 219 Briercliffe Road, Burnley. Mary Jane, Ellen, Martha and Susanah are still at home with him, the younger two being cotton weavers. Sarah died in 1886 (Burnley Jan Qtr. 8e160).

At the time of the 1901 census he was still in the same house with Ellen and Susanah and a working on his own account as a butcher.

Robert probably died in 1905 ( Burnley Jan Qtr. 8e127)

If you would like to send me a note to my e-mail address I will let you have the details.

Ian

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:56 pm 

Ormerod wrote:
If you would like to send me a note to my e-mail address I will let you have the details.

Ian

Hi Ian, I am on the same trail as my cousin Glenys but have had not luck getting in touch with here. Would it be possible to get a copy of what you have on this Robert Lee?

Thanks
Michael

Post subject: Re: Where is?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:55 pm 

Hi,
I realise I'm a bit late here - just returned to the forum after a year or so absence.

There's a Robert Lee buried at Newchurch in Pendle (which is on the road from Fence to Barley).
From lan-opc.org.uk:
Burial: 13 Mar 1791 St Mary, Newchurch in Pendle, Lancs.
Robert Lee - Son of Jas. Lee & Margaret
Source: LDS Film 1278872

Could that be your Robert?

http://lan-opc.org.uk/Newchurch-in-Pend ... 9.html#526