Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Quiz
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:25 pm 
Spider Lady

Found this online and though it worth a once over. There is another quiz on the same site that I will post next week along with the answers to this. When I post the answers to the second quiz, I'll add the website address where I found it.
No cheating!

1. At the age of 10, in the 1830's, the average height and weight of the young factory worker was:
a) 62 inches (157.48cm) tall and 112 pounds (50 Kgs) in weight.
b) 50 inches (127 cm) tall and 48 pounds (21.77 Kgs) in weight.
c) 38 inches (96.52 cm) tall and 18 pounds (8.16 Kgs) in weight.

2. How much were young workers aged 11 to 16 paid a week for working long hours in the factory?
a) 2 shillings 3 pence (about 12p)
b) 5 shillings (about 25p)
c) 10 shillings (50p)

3. At the age of 22 years, who was paid the most money for working the long factory hours?
a) Men
b) Women
c) Everyone was paid the same

4. What was the average temperature that people worked in on the factory floor?
a) 40° Fahrenheit (5°Centigrade) - very cold
b) 60° Fahrenheit (15° Centigrade) - fairly warm
c) 85° Fahrenheit (30° Centigrade) - very hot

5. The biggest danger to children working in factories was from:
a) the heat
b) poor lighting
c) unguarded machinery

6. The most common injury to children and young people in the workplace was:
a) bruising to the arms and legs
b) cuts and gashes to the arms and legs
c) mutilation to their arms and legs - including lost limbs

7. What happened to those children and young people who had accidents at work?
a) They were given immediate medical treatment and some money to cover the period of their absence from work.
b) They stayed in hospital until they were well enough to work again.
c) They were abandoned by their workplace, their wages were stopped and they were not given medical attention.

8. What time in the morning were young workers expected to start their working day?
a) 5 am
b) 7 am
c) 9 am

9. What sort of places were factories in the 19th Century?
a) Very much like they are today.
b) They were noisy, dirty and smelly with no washing or toilet facilities.
c) They were clean and well looked after but had no indoor toilets.

10. How long did a child worker or young person have to be in the factory before becoming ill?
a) A few hours
b) A few weeks
c) A year

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject: Re: Quiz
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:28 pm 
Spider Lady

History Quiz : Answers

1. At the age of 10, the average height and weight of the young factory worker was:
B) 50 inches (127 cm) tall and 48 pounds (21.77 Kgs) in weight.

2. How much were young workers aged 11 to 16 paid a week for working long hours in the factory?
A) 2 shillings 3 pence (about 12p)

3. At the age of 22 years, who was paid the most money for working the long factory hours?
A) Men. They were paid almost twice as much as women.

4. What was the average temperature that people worked in on the factory floor?
C) 85° Fahrenheit (30° Centigrade) - very hot. Like a hot summer's day. When workers left the factory and went into cold air, the contrast in temperatures often made them ill.

5. The biggest danger to children working in factories was from:
C) unguarded machinery. Factories were crowded with people and machines, few of them were guarded, so the moving parts were very near to the workers.

6. The most common injury to children and young people in the workplace was:
C) mutilation to their arms and legs - including lost limbs. In the Northern cotton mills, young children were employed to dive in and out of the machinery picking up bits of stray cotton - many of them became entangled in the machinery.

7. What happened to those children and young people who had accidents at work?
C) They were abandoned by their workplace, their wages were stopped and they were not given medical attention. Sad but true. There was no welfare state in those days.

8. What time in the morning were young workers expected to start their working day?
A) 5 am. Workers had a very early start and they dare not be late!

9. What sort of places were factories in the 19th Century?
B) They were noisy, dirty and smelly with no washing or toilet facilities. Can you imagine working in these conditions today?

10. How long did a child worker or young person have to be in the factory before becoming ill?
B) A few weeks. It usually took a few weeks for a new young worker to fall ill. In the cotton factories it was known as 'mill fever'. The symptoms were headaches and feelings of sickness.

What your score means

All 10 questions right
Congratulations! You must be an historian or you have great intuition. Either way, you know a lot about the awful conditions young workers faced back in the 19th century. Spare them a thought and thank your lucky stars that things are different now.

6-9 questions right
Well done! Not too bad at all. You know a fair bit about the atrocious conditions young people used to work in back in the 19th Century. Perhaps things were even worse than you thought they were. Look back at the questions you got wrong and try to imagine what it was really like back then.

5 and under
Okay. You had a go. Perhaps you're an idealist and like to think of things as being better than they really are. It is sad, but true, that working conditions for young people really were as harsh and brutal as they can get. The good news is that things did change and slowly but surely, working conditions improved.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:29 pm 
Spider Lady

1. From the 17th century (1600s) onwards, working families needed to send their children out to work so that they could make ends meet and support themselves.
True
False

2. In some towns and cities, like Halifax in West Yorkshire, most children over four years old were out working.
True
False

3. Some factories employed children as young as two to do some of the more simple work.
True
False

4. Many children worked the same long hours as adults in the workplace, up to sixteen hours a day.
True
False

5. There had been Acts of Parliament to regulate childrens working hours, keeping them down to 12 hours a day, but these Acts were not very effective.
True
False

6. In the 1830s, people interested in improving working peoples lives (social reformers) began to demand a reduction in hours to a ten hour day for working children in factories and cotton mills.
True
False

7. A lot of accidents happened in the factories because the children and young people were very careless.
True
False

8. Children working the the textile mills used to get very tired and could not keep up the speed of work their bosses wanted. So, to make them work faster, they were hit with a strap.
True
False

9. When young workers showed signs of getting tired - like yawning, they were dipped head first into cold water.
True
False

10. Children were not only punished for being late for work, but also talking to other children.
True
False

11. Young workers who ran away from the factory could be sent to prison, and those most likely to run away were put in leg irons.
True
False

12. In some factories, children and young people under eighteen made up the entire workforce.
True
False

13. Children living in mining areas could be working down the iron or coal mines from the age of five. Few of them lived even to the age of 25. If accidents didn't get them, illness did.
True
False

14. Some young peoples limbs became so distorted that their blood couldn't circulate properly. This resulted in the drying up of the marrow in their bones which would then decay, leaving the young person crippled for life.
True
False

15. The jobs that young people were asked to do in the factories and mills was not particularly dangerous and it was easier work than was done by the adult workers.
True
False

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:08 pm 
Librarian

I surprised myself there Mel on the first quiz and got 9 right. I got No 4 wrong, I put really cold, because it all depended where you worked, I think they had the weaving mills really cold and the spinning sheds really hot, I am sure I have read that somewhere. I think this second quiz is more tricky I want to answer true to them all, but I know that cant be correct, so I will have to really think about this one.

Stephanie.

Last edited by Burnleymasher on Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:10 pm 
Spider Lady

I thought some of the answers were a bit of an eye-opener, also interesting on a social history level.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:48 pm 
Spider Lady

Oops, forgot about this.

Children at Work Quiz : Answers
1. True
2. True
3. False - although it is believed that children as young as three were put to work on occasions.
4. True
5. True
6. True
7. False. The work was extremely dangerous for everyone because of the poor conditions in which they worked and the huge pieces of machinery which were not guarded to prevent people from getting caught up in them. In fact, incidents were recorded of children falling into machines and being torn apart!
8. True
9. True (In fact, dunking children into cold water was also used as a child-rearing technique in the home!)
10. True
11. True (It's a bit like being clapped in irons or sent to prison for truanting from school)
12. False. Not quite the whole workforce, but children and young people under eighteen made up a good half of the workforce. It was cheaper to employ young people as their wages were lower and they could be exploited.
13. True. Working down the mines was fraught with danger for everyone.
14. True. Some young people ended up having limbs amputated and surgeons would be amazed to find that they had no bone marrow.
15. False. Young people's work was very dangerous indeed because they were asked to weave themselves in and out of working machinery so there was always the risk of being pulled into the mechanisms. The work was also very hard, just as hard as it was for the adult workforce - and sometimes, harder, especially if you consider their small size and lack of experience.

Both came from http://www.youngworker.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:57 pm 
Librarian

I've lost me paper with me answers on :(

Stephanie.