Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Leaver / Lever
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:35 am 
Willfinder General

Thanks again.

Yes, I know there are lots of Leaver’s at Bolton and some of the surrounding towns. Strangely enough, there are only a couple to be found at Colne, but there are loads from Briercliffe, Little Marsden and Cliviger.

I have a feeling this Sarah is from the Little Marsden line, although I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:05 pm 
Willfinder General

1970 – April – May – June (Deaths)
Sarah Leaver b. 15 August 1875 (Burnley)

1972 – Jan – Feb – Mar (Deaths)
Margaret Leaver b. 28 March 1892 (Burnley)

1977 – April – May – June (Deaths)
Elsie May Leaver b. 12 March 1910 Burnley

1977 – LEAVER Elsie May of 41 Hibson road, Nelson, Lancashire died 1 May 1977. Probate Manchester 9 June. £8,054

1977 – July – Aug – September (Deaths)
James Leaver b. 30 March 1913 Burnley
Mary Leaver b. 15 April 1910 Burnley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:10 am 
Willfinder General

Geoffrey Arthur Leaver b. 29 February 1956

1956 – April – May – June (Birth)
Geoffrey A. Leaver (Mum’s maiden name is Drinkwater) – Burnley, 10b, 807

2004 – LEAVER, Geoffrey Arthur
Date of Death: 28 November 2002
Probate: Manchester
Grant: 11 August 2004
Address: 102 Holly street, Nelson, Lancashire
Gross Estate: £220,000
Net Estate: £22,000
Type: Administration
Extracted by: Donald Race & Newton 25/27 Carr Road, Nelson, BB9 7J2
Grantees: Vera Elizabeth Leaver, 60 Swinden Hall road, Nelson, Lancashire, BB9 8S5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:29 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

Leaver wrote:
Hi Charon, thanks for this. I don’t really look at the IGI index so I didn’t know about this marriage. I bet Sarah Leaver is one of mine!

Kris
I have this Sarah Leaver (& I suspect you have too) but I have her as Sally, Daughter of James Leaver & Nancy Calverley. Born 6/9/1798 at Batty Hole

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:57 pm 
Willfinder General

portia wrote:
Leaver wrote:
Hi Charon, thanks for this. I don’t really look at the IGI index so I didn’t know about this marriage. I bet Sarah Leaver is one of mine!

Kris
I have this Sarah Leaver (& I suspect you have too) but I have her as Sally, Daughter of James Leaver & Nancy Calverley. Born 6/9/1798 at Batty Hole

Thanks, you are right. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:58 am 
Willfinder General

Burnley Express, October 2, 1943
In Memoriam
LEAVER.-Treasured memories of a dear wife and mother, died Oct. 4th, 1938.
-From Father, John and Edith, 512 Cog lane.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:13 am 
Willfinder General

Burnley Express and News, October 30, 1943
LEAVER.-On Oct. 26th, 1943, at his home, 5 Edenville-ave., Bispham, Blackpool, Thompson Leaver, dearly loved husband of Ann Ellen, and formerly Chief Reporter of the “Burnley Express” and later Chief Reporter, “Daily Dispatch,” Manchester, aged 75 years. Service at Manchester Crematorium on Monday next at 3 p.m. No mourning. No flowers by request.

Burnley Express and News, October 30, 1943
A one-time member of the “Burnley Express” editorial staff who became chief reporter of the “Daily Dispatch,” Mr. Thompson Leaver has died at Bishpham at the age of 75. He went to Manchester from Burnley more than thirty years ago, and after being for some time on the reporting staff of the “Manchester Courier,” joined the “Daily Dispatch,” with which he remained for 25 years, latterly as chief reporter. On his retirement he took up freelance work, being concerned chiefly with Labour and municipal affairs. He leaves a widow and a married daughter.

http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Pho ... Leaver.htm

1901 Census - RG13; Piece: 3865; Folio: 126; Page: 4
35 Thursby Road, Burnley (St. Andrew’s)
Thompson Leaver, Head, Mar, 32yrs, Newspaper Reporter, Worker, b. Burnley
Nellie Leaver, Wife, Mar, 29yrs, Cotton Weaver, Worker, b. Burnley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:57 pm 
Willfinder General

Burnley Express and News, August 12, 1950.

The week’s obituary

R.D.C. chairman dies suddenly

A MAN who had devoted his whole life to the service of others in many spheres of public life, County Councillor James Ewart Leaver, chairman of Burnley Rural District Council, died suddenly at his home at Rose Cottage, Cockden, Briercliffe, yesterday morning. He was 64.

A staunch Liberal Councillor, Leaver became a member of Briercliffe Parish Council 26 years ago, and had been the representative on Burnley Rural District Council since 1941. He was a life vice-president of Briercliffe Liberal Association. He had served as chairman of the R.D.C. Rating and Valuation Committee and also on the General Purposes and Salaries, and Housing Committees.

In May, last year, he was appointed chairman of the R.D.C., a position to which he was re-appointed this year.

Since 1947 he had represented the Briercliffe Division on the Lancashire County and was a member of the Council’s Education and Fire Brigade Committees.

He was a member of the No. 9 Divisional Educational Executive and a governor of Burnley Grammar School.

A county magistrate Councillor Leaver was widely known in the Haggate area where he was born. His father, Mr. A. Leaver, served for many years on Briercliffe Parish Council.

During the Second World War, Councillor Leaver was Head Warden at Briercliffe A.R.P. station.

Up to 1948 he was secretary and director of the Briercliffe Mill Co. but relinquished this appointment when the firm was taken over by the Birtwistle Trust. Since then he had been in business as a cloth agent in Manchester, and was a director of several cotton firms.

In Masonic circles, Councillor Leaver was a past Master of Towneley Lodge, a Provisional officer of the Borough Chapter, a member of the Plains of Mamry Preceptory, and a member of the James D. Murray Chapter of Rose Croix.

He leaves a widow, two sons and a daughter. The funeral at Haggate Baptist, Burial Ground will be preceded by a service in the chapel where Councillor Leaver had been an official for many years.

Burnley Express and News, August 12, 1950.
LEAVER.-On August 11th, James Ewart, aged 64 years, the dearly beloved husband of Phyllis Annie Leaver, of Rose Cottage, Briercliffe. Internment Haggate Baptist Chapel,
2 p.m.. – Enquiries: John Atkinson, Ltd. Tel. 2097

http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Pho ... eaver2.htm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:43 pm 
Willfinder General

Burnley Express and News, May 19, 1937.

HAGGATE’S LOSS.
DEATH OF MR. A. LEAVER, J.P., AT SOUTHPORT.
BURNLEY BUILDING SOCIETY CHAIRMAN.

Widespread regret has been caused locally by the death at his residence, “Cockdene,” Hesketh-drive, Southport, last Sunday, of Mr. Abraham Leaver, J.P., aged 73. The loss is particularly felt in the Haggate district, where Mr. Leaver was a familiar and beloved figure.

A native of Briercliffe, he had spent most of his life at Cockden, Briercliffe, and although he removed to Southport a few years ago, he had been a frequent visitor to Rose Cottage, Cockden, where his son and daughters reside.

The son of a Briercliffe quarry owner, Mr. Leaver began his career as a builder, erecting several houses in Harle Syke, and at 22 years of age he was responsible for carrying out the extension to the Harle Syke Mill Co’s shed. Leaving the building trade, he entered manufacturing circles as a partner in the firm of Whitehead and Leaver, of Fulledge and Rake Head mills, retiring from that firm 17 years ago. At his death he was a director of Briercliffe Mill and the Hall Lee Manufacturing Co., Westhoughton.

BUILDING SOCIETY CHAIRMAN.

For seventeen years he had been a director of the Burnley Building Society, and was appointed chairman only three months ago, when Mr. J. W. Jobling retired owing to ill-health.

One of the first magistrates in Briercliffe, he had served on the Bench for 29 years, and was chairman of the licensing justices for the Burnley County Area.

All his life he had taken a keen interest in parochial affairs, having been a member of the Parish Council, and for nine years was the Briercliffe representative on the Burnley Rural District Council and the old Burnley Board of Guardians. Before Haggate School was taken over by the Lancashire County Council, Mr. Leaver also served for ten years on the old Briercliffe School Board.

Much of his time was devoted to the Baptist cause at Haggate, where his practical interest will be greatly missed. For the past 37 years he had been chairman of the chapel trustees, and had also served as Sunday School teacher and superintendent. He also had a lengthy connection with the chapel choir, of which at one time he was choirmaster. A few years ago he hunted up every available record regarding this place of worship, and compiled an authentic history. This was published in a series of illustrated articles in the “Express,” and afterwards reproduced in pamphlet form, and was much appreciated. It is rather singular that his death occurred on the day of the “annual sermons,” an event which he had scarcely missed during his lifetime.

Mr. Leaver, who was a staunch Liberal, celebrated his golden wedding two years ago. He is survived by his wife, a son and a daughter. The son, Mr. J. E. Leaver, is a member of the Briercliffe Parish Council, and his daughter, Mrs. W. Nuttall, is president of the Briercliffe Women Liberals. There are four grand-children and one great-grandchild.

The internment will take place to-day (Wednesday) in the family vault at Haggate Churchyard.

Police Court Tribute.

Reference to Mr. Leaver was made by Mr. James Hindle, presiding over the Reedley Police Court yesterday.

Mr. Leaver, he said, was a gentleman he had known in business and magisterial life for many years, and he had always found him to be a man of fair dealing and one who tempered mercy in his judgement in matters with which he had to deal.

He had been engaged in the administration of justice for almost 30 years, and it was with sorrow that they had parted from him. He sincerely hoped that the traditions he had so faithfully endeavoured to carry out during the whole of that time would be maintained.

Mr. Guy Southern, the Clerk, associated himself with Mr. Hindle’s remarks, observing that Mr. Leaver had been a most courteous and obliging magistrate.

On behalf of the police, Chief Inspector Cook said that Mr. Leaver was one whom they held in the highest esteem and regard.

Burnley Express and News, May 19, 1937.
LEAVER.-On Whit-Sunday, the 16th last, at Cockdene, Hesketh-drive, Southport, and also of Cockden, Briercliffe, Abraham Leaver, J.P., aged 73, beloved husband of Laura Alice Leaver. Internment, Haggate Baptist Chapel, Wednesday, 19th inst., at 12-30 p.m..-Inquiries to Mr. J. Duerden, Southport. Tel. 8210.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:47 pm 
Willfinder General

Burnley Express and News, January 20, 1960.
LEAVER-On January 16th, William Henry, aged 78 years, the dearly loved husband of Elizabeth Ann Leaver, of 11 Atkinson-street, Harle Syke. Interred Haggate Baptist Chapel, Tuesday, January 19th. Sweet Rest at Last.-John Atkinson, Ltd. Harle Syke.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:00 am 
Spider Lady

The Preston Guardian
Saturday October 31 1846

Deaths

On Wednesday week, Sarah Lever, Workhouse, aged 79

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:43 am 
Sage of Simonstone

We don't seem to have a candidate for this one and all the Sarah Lever/Leavers on 1841 are Blackburn, Bolton and further afield. Were there any clues as to this being a Burnley death Mel?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:47 am 
Sage of Simonstone

1862 Lancashire deaths index:

LEAVER Sarah, 61 at Burnley. Registers At Preston Reference BU/39/80
This will be Sarah wife of John 1802.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:52 pm 
Willfinder General

Mel wrote:
The Preston Guardian
Saturday October 31 1846

Deaths

On Wednesday week, Sarah Lever, Workhouse, aged 79

I think it might be this one.

Deaths Dec 1846
LEVER Sarah - Preston, 21, 577

Post subject: James Leaver - died 1777
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:46 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

The LDS site has this information:

Burial: 18 Jul 1755 at Holme Chapel,Cliviger,Burnley,Lancashire.
James Leaver, born abt 1723.

Kris - we have this burial attributed to James Leaver b 1710. Either we have the wrong James, or the wrong dob.
I intend to go to the LRO next week so I've put it on my list of things to check from the parish records

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next