Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Howarth
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:22 pm 
Willfinder General

Burnley Express and News, January 23, 1943

Diamond Wedding

Heartiest congratulations are extended to Mr. and Mrs. Ben Howarth, of 121, Burnley-road, Harle Syke, who celebrate their diamond wedding next Wednesday. They were married on January 27th, 1883, in Brierfield Primitive Chapel, by the Rev. George E. Lloyd, to whom Mr. and Mrs. Howarth sent a congratulatory message recently on his own diamond wedding.

Mrs. Howarth was born at New Ground Top on Boxing Day, 1862, and from childhood has maintained her interest in Elim Primitive Methodist Church. In her younger days she was a member of the choir and a Sunday school teacher. For about 19 years she has been treasurer of the Women’s Own Wednesday afternoon meetings, relinquishing that office only a short time ago.

Mr. Howarth first saw the light of day in Brierfield, on May 25th, 1864. He learnt overlooking at Walton’s Bishop House Mill, and after four years in that capacity, left to take up similar duties at Stuttards’ Rake Head Mill, in 1899. When the latter firm removed to Primrose Mill in 1903, he also went and stayed with the firm until July, 1931, when rheumatism enforced his retirement.

Passionately fond of music, Mr. Howarth was the possessor of a fine baritone voice. Cricket he also found entertaining, but bowling was his chief delight. He played with St. Andrew’s bowling team for over 30 years and as recently as last summer with Haggate in the Tuesday League. He has been a member of the Homing Society for over 40 years.

They have two sons, two daughters (all married), five grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren to share in the rejoicings.

Burnley Express and News, January 23, 1943
Cecil, oldest inhabitant of the lion house at the London Zoo, died at the age of 20.

http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Pho ... owarth.htm

Post subject: Re: Howarth
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:45 pm 

I have just recently registered on this site and OMG I have found my great grandparents - thank you so much. Your site is taking up many hours browsing, I am facinated. Looking at your committee, I remember well Roger and Ivan from my childhood spent with my granparents Horace and Amy (nee Howarth) Ashworth.