Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: heap
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:03 pm 

Hi

Will look at my notes that I have on Heap family and get back to you if I find something out.

sue x

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:29 pm 
Spider Lady

Mel wrote:
I have a marriage for a William Sutcliffe to Sarah Heap 21 May 1795 at St Peter, Burnley. I believe this is the census for them-
HO107/506/15 folio 31 pg 15
Yeomans, Briercliffe with Extwistle
William Sutcliffe,70,farmer,Y
Sarah Sutcliffe,70,Y
Joseph Sutcliffe,38,Ag Lab,Y
William Sutcliffe,33,Ag LAb,Y
James Sutcliffe,29,Ag Lab,Y
Ellen Sutcliffe,14, ,Y

HO107/2251 folio 131 pg 17
Yeomans, Briercliffe
Sarah Sutcliffe, Head, W, 79, Farmer 16 acres land b.Briercliffe
Joseph, son, W 49, Lab Stone quarry b.Briercliffe
Sarah, Dau, U, 46, Servant, b.Briercliffe
William Son, U, 42, Lab land, b.Briercliffe
James, Son U 39, Cust?, b.Briercliffe
Ellen, Dau, U, 24, Servant in house, b.Briercliffe
William, Grandson, U, 20, Firebeater, b.Briercliffe
Thomas, Grandson, 15, Power loom weaver, b.Briercliffe
Mary Heap, Lodger, Un, 7, Pauper Hand loom weaver, b.Briercliffe

I believe Sarah was born about 1770 though have not looked for any birth records for her. Can anyone account for either her or the Mary Heap who is lodging with her in 1851?

Could this be the above Sarah Heap? (Taken from the IGI)
SALLY HEAP
Christening: 09 AUG 1772 Burnley, Lancashire, England
Father: WILLIAM HEAP
Batch No C005203

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:38 pm 
Spider Lady

http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Family%20Trees.htm

Shattonblade has updated his Heap tree. Many thanks once again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:37 pm 
Spider Lady

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=905&start=15

The will of John Sutcliffe on the above page names one of his daughters as Nancey wife of Edmund Heape. I've had a look for children of this couple on the site's church records ( http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Chu ... ecords.htm ) and see there are several for Neddy and Nancey Heap. They are certainly in the right part of Briercliffe to be the right family but is anyone (Shattonblade?) able to confirm that Neddy is Edmund, husband to Nancey?

Post subject: HEAP
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:27 pm 
Willfinder General

Burnley Express and News March, 24, 1943

BURNLEY ARTIST’S DECORATIVE FRIEZES

One of the exhibitors at the 18th annual spring exhibition of Lancashire art opening to-day at the Harris Art Gallery, Preston, is 23 years-old Miss J. Walmsley Heap, of Burnley, whose friezes of children at play are finding their way into war-time nurseries in several towns.

Miss J. Walmsley Heap, who studied with Mr. Noel H. Leaver, the Burnley artist, was sketching when she was nine. Her talent was encouraged, and, while competent with landscape and figure work, probably her outstanding achievement has been the bringing to the drawing board of the realm of fairies, gnomes and giants. A year or two ago we reproduced a few of her sketches illustrating a children’s book of stories, “Jeepy Jumbles,” which she herself had written. These created considerable interest at the time.

Her latest work at the Harris Art Gallery preserves the quaint freshness of her earlier efforts. It is not surprising that her drawings have become in demand at our war-time nurseries. One of her friezes “The Old Woman in a Shoe,” is in the Bank Hall Nursery. She has others in London, Liverpool, Leominster, Hereford, Bolton and Preston.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:33 pm 
Willfinder General

October 30, 2008
PenDelfin Founder Jean Walmsley Heap Dies
Filed under: PenDelfin — Tags: Jean Walmsley Heap, JWH, PenDelfin — Perfect Pieces @ 10:30 am
Jean Walmsley Heap, the founder of much-loved Burnley pottery PenDelfin, has died aged 87.

Jean started out as an artist, illustrating children’s books. The PenDelfin figurine business grew out of a idea sparked through her friendship with Jeannie Todd, whom she met at a Burnley Artists Society meeting in 1953.

From its early beginnings in a garden shed, the pottery grew to be an internationally-known business – all the time maintaining its base in Burnley. Early pieces – such as the Pendle Witch and the Fairy Shop plaque – are today extremely rare and collectable, as are rare, early rabbits like Aunt Agatha.

Here are a few examples of Jean’s finest work – a wonderful creative talent who will be missed by the PenDelfin community:
http://www.perfectpieces.co.uk/blog/pen ... heap-dies/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:40 pm 
Willfinder General

Pendelfin founder dies http://www.burnleyexpress.net/burnleyne ... 4650476.jp

31 October 2008

THE last founder of the famous Burnley-based Pendelfin Studios which gave the world the unique rabbit figurines has died aged 87.

Miss Jean Walmsley Heap, who was born in the Tim Bobbin pub, which was owned by her grandad, launched the firm in 1953 with her friend Jeannie Todd as a hobby and built it up to an international firm with customers in the United States, Canada, Europe, Asia, Australia and the Caribbean.

Growing up in Padiham Road, Miss Walmsley Heap was educated at Ightenhill County Primary School before her artistic talent won her a scholarship to Burnley School of Art, where she decided to become a children's illustrator.

She drew for children's books until the outbreak of the Second World War, when she was drafted into industry and worked at a leather factory in Preston. She returned to Burnley in 1943 and designed murals to brighten up wartime nurseries.

Pendelfin was founded when Miss Walmsley Heap met Miss Todd when both were working at Burnley Building Society. The pair started in a wooden shed in Miss Todd's garden and the company grew over the years, with fans all over the world snapping up the stone-crafted and hand-painted rabbits.

It was based for years at Cameron Mills in Howsin Street before moving to Briercliffe Business Centre but that base sadly closed in 2006 and the figures are now manufactured in China, with some distribution taking place in Newcastle.

Jeannie Todd died in 1974, and in the late 1970s Miss Walmsley Heap moved to North Wales with her friends and fellow Pendelfin director Doreen Roberts and another friend, and then moved up to Grange-Over-Sands in Cumbria, where she lived until her death, just one day before her 88th birthday. Miss Roberts died last year.

Her cousin, Mr Ernest Hartley, who was close to Miss Walmsley Heap throughout her life, said: "Jean was an artist, she was hopeless at any business activity. She lived in a dreamworld so it was good that she had friends around her to sort out that part of her life!

"She was a lovely, generous person and she was a genius really, the art and the models she produced were marvellous, and so well-loved."

In 1994, a commemorative plaque was put up at the Tim Bobbin, in a tribute to the birthplace of Miss Walmsley Heap. She was involved as a designer with the company she founded up until its sale.

Miss Walmsley Heap's funeral will be held today at 3 p.m. at Waltonwray's Crematorium in Skipton. Donations in her memory can be made to St Mary's Hospice, care of G. Postlethwaite, Funeral Director, Main Street, Grange Over Sands, LA11 6DP, or call 01539 533040

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:08 am 
Sage of Simonstone

(For Peter)
Just as a bye-the-bye:

I picked up a couple of 'Heap' bits whilst I was looking for something else and was checking your tree to see whether it might be of interest to you.
Anyway, whilst I was scanning through, I spotted your note about the 1851 census for James Heap b1803 - how it gave his status as 'father to head'. It intrigued me so I took a look at the census. It's awkward because the enumerator has put a mark through the entry, but is it possible his age was actually 78, not 48? There's a James Heap, carter, aged 65 on the 1841 census for 'habrgham Eaves who'd fit the bill.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:42 am 

Thank you Portia - will follow it up.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:43 pm 

I have just posted the following to LFH&HS and Gloria Greenwood has suggested I might get some success from The Briercliffe Society so here goes!

Please could someone help me to identify Joshua HEAP? Is he related to my great X 3 grandfather or was the fact his daughter was the informant at GGX3’s death just a coincidence?

My great X 3 great grandfather, James HEAP died at Sandy Gate, Habergham Eaves, Burnley on the 16th January 1849 aged 72. He was a Pensioner from the Artillery. Cause of death apoplexia 23 hours certified. The informant was Mary WATSON present at death, Hargreaves Street, Burnley who made her mark. I had assumed that she was probably James HEAP's daughter however on looking at the filmed marriage register Robert WATSON of full age, weaver, bachelor of Long Row, Burnley, son of Henry WATSON, weaver, and Mary HEAP, minor, weaver, spinster of Long Row, Burnley, daughter of Joshua HEAP, collier, were married by banns on the 6th January 1841 at St. Peter, Burnley. The witnesses were John CHADWICK and John HEYS. All made their mark with the exception of John CHADWICK, This makes my assumption incorrect. Mary WATSON, Joshua HEAP and families were living at Cop Row in 1841 and 1851 where Joshua was “baptised” in 1852.

Lancashire OPC has the following baptism entry which I think should be a burial!

Baptism: 16 Sep 1852 St James, Briercliffe, Lancashire, England
Joshua Heap - [Child] of James Heap & Mary
Abode: Briercliffe on the Moors
Notes: Clinical Dropsy. Of Cop Row Aged 50 years

Death Record for Joshua Heap
in the District of Burnley
Name Joshua Heap
District Burnley, Lancashire
Page 0106
Volume 8E
Registered July - September 1852

Lancashire Death indexes for the years: 1852
Surname Forename(s) Age or Year of Birth Sub-District Registers At Reference
HEAP Joshua 51 Burnley Preston BU/21/12

I think my great X 3 grandparents James HEAP of this Chapelry and Mary HARRISON of the same Chapelry, were married (1198) by banns (read 8th, 15th and 22nd September 1805) on the 26th September 1805 at St. Peter, Burnley. The witnesses were John BERRY and Richard CLOUGH. The bride and groom made their marks. Both were from Cliviger shown on the banns entry which corresponds to a series of children born between 1807 and 1834. Their baptisms required a degree of unravelling because his occupation varied from husbandman, labourer, sergeant, weaver and publican, all baptised at St. Peter with exception of one who had a baptism in Malta as well as one at St. Peter, Burnley. His army discharge described his original trade as weaver.
He enlisted at Blackburn in 1794 aged 18 so it is of course possible he was Joshua’s father which would fit in with the “baptism” but I have been unable to find a birth/baptism for Joshua circe 1802.
As far as I can see the St. James, Briercliife registers are not filmed or online.

James HEAP's son, John is my great X 2 grandfather and his daughter Mary Jane married Edmund WHITTAKER, the disgraced Town Clerk of Accrington. Their daughter, Maggie was my grandmother.

Peter Sleigh (born and brought up in Bury now living in retirement in France)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:58 am 
Spider Lady

My apologies for the delay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:46 pm 

Hi Peter.

I have been researching a Joshua Heap for quite a while now, will check my papers and get back to you if I find a link

Take care

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:53 am 

Many thanks, I am still researching especially during the winter and have amassed over 200 Burnley Heaps - that's a big pile! Joshua must be there somewhere.
Peter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:36 pm 

Peter and I have had a lot of direct email correspondence about HEAPs. I think we have established that Joshua HEAP is not closely related to his James HEAP, and therefore that Joshua's daughter Mary, who married Richard WATSON, is not so likely to be the informant on James' death certificate.

Richard WATSON and Mary HEAP are my gt-gt-grandparents. Information presented some years ago on the site, I think. I'll elaborate if it is helpful (sealrescuehome ?). I have a photo of Richard and Mary.

Rex

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:19 pm 

Hi

Probably the Joshua you were looking at is not the same Joshua as mine. My Joshua Heap was born @ 1835 in Stockport (his father was either( James or John). I know he, at one time lived in Bolton then came over to Burnley (he was a miner) where he married Sarah Garrod, had a couple of children then he and my gt gt grandmother got together. They never married and there was a child born 1868 (not sure if it was Joshua's) and they lived as a family in a confectioner's shop on Brown St until his death 1883. My gtgt grandmother bought 2 grave plots and Joshua is buried in one of them.

Merry Christmas