Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:06 pm 

I recently watched a series of videos on Youtube, which I found absolutely fascinating and very thought provoking

Journey of Man: A Genetic Odyssey (Part 1 of 13)

The Journey of Man is a documentary that talks about our evolution, our recent history, and how we came to be to the way we are today. It looks at the Y chromosome, that's passed down from male to male, and tracks the marker mutations to map our ancestors' journey. It's how we conquered the Earth in just the last 59,000 years.

On Sunday the following programme is on,

The Incredible Human Journey Episode one Sunday, 21:30 on BBC Two

Dr Alice Roberts travels the globe to discover the incredible story of how humans left Africa to colonise the world - overcoming hostile terrain, extreme weather and other species of human. She pieces together precious fragments of bone, stone and new DNA evidence and discovers how this journey changed these African ancestors into the people of today.
Alice travels to Africa in search of the birthplace of the first people. They were so few in number and so vulnerable that today they would probably be considered an endangered species. So what allowed them to survive at all? The Bushmen of the Kalahari have some answers - the unique design of the human body made them efficient hunters and the ancient click language of the Bushmen points to an early ability to organise and plan.
Humans survived there, but Africa was to all intents and purposes a sealed continent. So how and by what route did humans make it out of Africa? Astonishing genetic evidence reveals that everyone alive today who is not African descends from just one successful, tiny group which left the continent in a single crossing, an event that may have happened around 70 thousand years ago. But how did they do it? Alice goes searching for clues in the remote Arabian Desert.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:31 pm 
Computer Whizz

I will certainly watch that Patricia, thanks for bringing it up.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:32 pm 
Willfinder General

The links for the Journey of Man: A Genetic Odyssey (Part 1 to 13) can be found here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=400&start=0

The results of my Genographic project DNA sample can be seen here https://genographic.nationalgeographic. ... eport.html
Kit ID: FWX9357R4R

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:05 pm 
Spider Lady

I thought it rang a bell.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:35 am 
Willfinder General

Did anyone watch the Incredible Human Journey last night?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... of_Africa/