Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:52 pm 

Burnley Express 13th July 1935
INTERESTING BRIERCLIFFE EVENT.
MR. AND MRS ABRAHAM LEAVER CELEBRATE GOLDEN WEDDING
Hearty congratulations have been extended to Mr. Abraham Leaver J.P., and Mrs Leaver, of Cockden, Briercliffe, and of Southport, on the celebration of their golden wedding, last Tuesday, at Rose Cottage, Cockden, where they began married life together 50 years ago. Rose Cottage then went by the name of Higher Laithe. They were joined in matrimony at Haggate Baptist Chapel on June 9th 1885, the officiating minister being Mr. Thomas Proctor, the uncle of the bride.
Mr. Leaver is 71 years of age, and Mrs. Leaver 70. Before their marriage they both resided at Haggate, Mr Leaver’s father being a quarry owner, jointly with the late Mr. John Whitehead, father of Alderman E. Whitehead, J.P., of Burnley. Mr. Leaver began his career as a builder, and erected several houses in Harle Syke, and when 22 years of age carried out the extension to Harle Syke Mill Company’s shed. Later he entered the manufacturing business as a partner in the firm of Whitehead and Leaver, of Fulledge and Rake Head Mills, from which he retired some 15 years ago. For the past 14 years he has been a director of the Burnley Building Society. He has also been a prominent figure in parochial affairs, serving for a number of years on the Parish Council, and for nine years was the Briercliffe representative on the Burnley Rural District Council and the Burnley Board of Guardians. Prior to the Lancashire County Council taking over the control of Haggate School, Mr Leaver served for 10 years on the old Briercliffe School Board. Not least among his public duties has been his work on the Magisterial Bench, where he has served for the past 27 years. Throughout his busy life he has been a constant worshipper and faithful worker at the Haggate Baptist cause, being a superintendent and teacher in the Sunday school, a member of the chapel choir for 37 years, and for a number of years the choirmaster. For 35 years he has been chairman of the chapel trustees, a position he still holds, as his experience is a valuable asset. Mr Leaver was the author of an interesting history of the Haggate Baptist cause which appeared in the “Burnley Express” just over twelve months ago.
In all his multitudinous activities, Mr Leaver has had a worthy partner in Mrs Leaver. The eldest of a family of seven, she began work as a weaver at the Haggate Weaving Company’s mill at the age of 10, and worked up to being married. Staunch Liberals, Mr and Mrs Leaver are supported in their political faith by their son and daughter. Their son is the deputy chairman of the Briercliffe Parish Council, and their daughter, Mrs W Nuttall, is the president of the Briercliffe Women Liberals. They have four grandchildren and one great-grandchild. Mr and Mrs Leaver spent their wedding anniversary quietly. All will wish them continued health and strength, and many more years of happiness.

Abraham was my grt-grandfather, I am after any photos any one may have of these two.

Graham

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:24 am 
Willfinder General

Hi Graham, thanks for posting this.

Correction: Abraham Leaver (1864-1937) married Laura Alice Pickles (1865-1947). Laura Alice Pickles was the daughter of Thomas Pickles (1839-1903) and Mary Procter (1842-1908).

Interestingly enough, Thomas Pickles and Mary Proctor had another daughter named Bertha Nanny Pickles (1872-1965) who married my relation Marmaduke Miller Sutcliffe (1871-1935), and another daughter by the name of Betsy Pickles (1877-1918) who married Ezra Berry (1871-1939). After Betsy’s death, Ezra married Edith Ann Leaver (1878-1934), who was the daughter of William Leaver (1856-1929) and Nanny Foster (1856-1923).

Our tree is intertwined.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:49 am 

Hi,

Thanks for picking up my error, I looked one step too far back up the tree and was misled by the reference to the officiating minister being 'uncle' Proctor!!
Yes they do get entwined these tree roots don't they?

Graham

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:43 am 
Willfinder General

Our trees are even more intertwined if you dig deeper.

Thomas Pickles (1839-1903) was the son of Thomas Pickles (1805-1876) and Alice Holgate (1802-1878).

Thomas and Alice had another son named, James Pickles (1832-1886), who married Hannah Leaver (1835-1915), daughter of your 3 x Grandparents, Abraham Leaver (1800-1863) and Elizabeth Whitehead (1807-?).

Abraham Leaver and Elizabeth Whitehead, had another daughter, Nancy Leaver (1829-1906), who married James Pickles (1830-1888).

Back to Thomas Pickles (1805-1876) and Alice Holgate (1802-1878). Thomas and Alice had a daughter named, Margaret Pickles (1840-1883), and Margaret married John Tatham (1838-1917). John and Margaret had son named Hartley Tatham, and Hartley is directly related to Stephanie from the forum.

I am convinced that 19th century Briercliffe is one big family.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:02 am 
Librarian

That's me, to add to it, The above Margaret Pickles who married a John Tatham were my Great Grandparents, these Pickle's spread far and wide, sure we must all have the same DNA flowing through our veins :wink:

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:56 pm 

Hi All,

It is nice to meet you all being members of my extended family!!!!, I feel as if I could walk the streets of Haggate or Briercliffe and be related to everyone I meet. Very daunting.

Graham

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:29 am 
Spider Lady

Don't we all :shock:

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:27 pm 
Spider Lady

graham wrote:
Burnley Express 13th July 1935
INTERESTING BRIERCLIFFE EVENT.
MR. AND MRS ABRAHAM LEAVER CELEBRATE GOLDEN WEDDING
Hearty congratulations have been extended to Mr. Abraham Leaver J.P., and Mrs Leaver, of Cockden, Briercliffe, and of Southport, on the celebration of their golden wedding, last Tuesday, at Rose Cottage, Cockden, where they began married life together 50 years ago. Rose Cottage then went by the name of Higher Laithe. They were joined in matrimony at Haggate Baptist Chapel on June 9th 1885, the officiating minister being Mr. Thomas Proctor, the uncle of the bride.
Mr. Leaver is 71 years of age, and Mrs. Leaver 70. Before their marriage they both resided at Haggate, Mr Leaver’s father being a quarry owner, jointly with the late Mr. John Whitehead, father of Alderman E. Whitehead, J.P., of Burnley. Mr. Leaver began his career as a builder, and erected several houses in Harle Syke, and when 22 years of age carried out the extension to Harle Syke Mill Company’s shed. Later he entered the manufacturing business as a partner in the firm of Whitehead and Leaver, of Fulledge and Rake Head Mills, from which he retired some 15 years ago. For the past 14 years he has been a director of the Burnley Building Society. He has also been a prominent figure in parochial affairs, serving for a number of years on the Parish Council, and for nine years was the Briercliffe representative on the Burnley Rural District Council and the Burnley Board of Guardians. Prior to the Lancashire County Council taking over the control of Haggate School, Mr Leaver served for 10 years on the old Briercliffe School Board. Not least among his public duties has been his work on the Magisterial Bench, where he has served for the past 27 years. Throughout his busy life he has been a constant worshipper and faithful worker at the Haggate Baptist cause, being a superintendent and teacher in the Sunday school, a member of the chapel choir for 37 years, and for a number of years the choirmaster. For 35 years he has been chairman of the chapel trustees, a position he still holds, as his experience is a valuable asset. Mr Leaver was the author of an interesting history of the Haggate Baptist cause which appeared in the “Burnley Express” just over twelve months ago.
In all his multitudinous activities, Mr Leaver has had a worthy partner in Mrs Leaver. The eldest of a family of seven, she began work as a weaver at the Haggate Weaving Company’s mill at the age of 10, and worked up to being married. Staunch Liberals, Mr and Mrs Leaver are supported in their political faith by their son and daughter. Their son is the deputy chairman of the Briercliffe Parish Council, and their daughter, Mrs W Nuttall, is the president of the Briercliffe Women Liberals. They have four grandchildren and one great-grandchild. Mr and Mrs Leaver spent their wedding anniversary quietly. All will wish them continued health and strength, and many more years of happiness.

Abraham was my grt-grandfather, I am after any photos any one may have of these two.

Graham

This is the picture to go with the article. http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Pho ... Leaver.htm

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!