Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:42 am 

I got a birth certificate through the post yesterday for one of Jane and Robert's children, Flora, and was delighted to see Jane's maiden name on there after months of trying to find her maiden name. However, I cannot for the life of me find a trace of their marriage on BMD and LancsBMD. On the 1911 census it states they have been married for 38 years (approx since 1873) and Jane is listed as Jane Redman on all previous census forms up to that date, so there must be a record somewhere. Just because it's not listed on the BMD sites does this mean it should still be in the parish records somewhere? I think she was from Bolton but they lived around the Burnley area. Would it be better to contact Burnley registry office or would they likely draw the same blank?
Thanks
Rob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:55 am 
Spider Lady

You could try Burnley Register Office, I believe they are very helpful. That said, I thought the Lancashirebmd site was built from the records at the Register Offices and not from the GRO index? It's not a complete index though so still worth an note to Burnley.

Have you found Jane on the 1871? I ask as I wondered if she was perhaps a widow when she married Robert...the surname would be different to the one you now know.

Could they have married elsewhere in the country? Runaway bride to Gretna perhaps?
There should still be something in the Parish Records assuming they married in a church and not at a Register Office, There should also be a record the Register Office even though it's not on the indexes.

The other option - did they marry?

It may just have been missed off the index, it happened more than we realise.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:25 pm 

Hi there, thanks for the advice:) I did contact Burnley but they seemed unable to do anything without specific info such as an area, church etc.
I have found several Jane Rothwells in 1871, same approx birth year in the right birthplace, but without the marriage info it looks as though I can't really go with any of them for sure.
And yes, there is always the option you suggested that they did not actually marry.
I suppose it's back to the drawing board for now, but I'll keep trying to get to the bottom of it.
:?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:00 pm 

OK, so do I have any options left now then? I came across a CD ROM of parish records for Lancashire but I don't know whether it's worth buying - has anybody ever bought one of these and is the info any different that what I would find on Familysearch.org site or elsewhere online? Perhaps I should try to locate a death date and work backwards to finding a birth certificate for Jane.
Any ideas people? Much appreciated.
Thanks
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:11 pm 
Natural Geek

Rob,

Have you looked through the actual fiche files on those websites, or just looked at the transcriptions? Often things can be missing and it is useful to go as far back to the 'source' as one can.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:17 pm 

When you say fiche files do you mean there is access to some other info somewhere, or are you referring to viewing the fiche themselves?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:32 pm 
Natural Geek

Viewing of the fiches themselves (or, at least, the scanned in versions)...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:38 pm 

Yes, I suppose I'm going to have to pay a visit to the LRO and start looking at the fiche of the parish registers at some point. The first instance where I can find them together is Bolton on the 1881 census, and Jane I believe was from Bolton so that would be where to start looking i would think.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:41 pm 
Natural Geek

I've got access to the relevant scanned fiches through my subscription to Genes Reunited. I'll take a look for you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:10 am 

Thanks very much

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:09 pm 

Hi Rob,
Do you have any census returns for Robert Redman,perhaps the 1851 or 1861 as I do not seem to be able to find any Robert Redman on those,born Burnley @1843.
Perhaps Robert was not really his first name.
Just a thought
Gilly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:10 pm 

gillyh wrote:
Hi Rob,
Do you have any census returns for Robert Redman,perhaps the 1851 or 1861 as I do not seem to be able to find any Robert Redman on those,born Burnley @1843.
Perhaps Robert was not really his first name.
Just a thought
Gilly

Hi Gilly,
really sorry about delay in replying - haven't been on this site for a while. I have only 1871 where Robert is at 37 Church Street, Burnley. Strange thing is, the family surname has changed from Redman to Roberts on the 1881 and 1891 but then changes back to Redman on the 1901 and 1911, bizarre. It's definitely the same family as the siblings are all there on the cencus returns too.
I've basically hit a wall and even with my tenacious attitude to things, haven't been able to find a marriage for Robert and Jane or get a definite lead on who Jane Redman (nee Rothwell) actually was. I've tried every variation of names that I can possibly muster on the BMD indexes etc but to no avail. I'd love some help with this as it's brought my whole interest in my family's past to a standstill. Thanks for your interest :)
Rob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:18 pm 

I've actually just found Robert on 1861 stating that he is 8 years old, so was born 1853.
I've also now found Robert's father John on the 1851 and the nextdoor neighbour's surname, coincidentally, is 'Roberts'.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:56 am 

Hi Rob
On the 1851 census,Sarah Redman,mother of John Redman is listed as unmarried,on the 1841
living at Higher Brickclough Cliviger
Sarah redman aged 39 born in county,
John aged 19 ag Lab born in county,
in the same house are
Robert Redman aged 26 ag lab
Alice Redman aged 25
Margaret Redman aged 3
George Redman aged 1.
Living next door to the Redmans s
at Holehouses
James Roberts aged 68 farmer
James Roberts aged 39 ag lab
William Roberts aged 36 ag lab

Hope this helps
Gilly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:04 am 

Gilly
I hadn't explored this era of the Redman family so closely as I've been too distracted trying to get to the bottom of who Jane Rothwell and her family are with no luck. Thanks again, really appreciate your help - it's stirred my interest once again and I'm going to do some more.
Rob