Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: STUTTARD / STUTTERD
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:31 am 
Spider Lady

Are you researching your family history Emily? There is quite a bit of Stutterd/Stuttard info on the site. Does your family originate in Briercliffe? Maybe there is something of use to you?

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:22 pm 
Spider Lady

http://www.lfhhs-pendleandburnley.org.uk/
The latest Gazette has an article on Stuttard(erd). Go to the 'Whats New' page to find the link.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:57 am 
Spider Lady

http://www.lfhhs-pendleandburnley.org.uk/

January 2009 issue of the Newsletter from the LFHHS may be of interest to anyone with Stuttards.

THE STUTTARD /STUTTERD SAGA - A CONTINUATION
Some of you will know that, a few years ago, Peter Walsh, one of our branch members, transcribed "The diary of Jabez Stuttard" from microfiche. He subsequently wrote two articles for "The Gazette" in May 2005 and Jan 2007. In the last edition, Geoff Stuttard submitted The Ancestry of Sir John Boothman Stuttard, (Lord Mayor of London 2006-7).

Subsequently Peter has now put pen to paper and continues the story of this long established local family

"COOR" THE WIVES OF JOHN STUTTERD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:51 am 
Willfinder General

NEW TESTAMENT.1814.With Extensive Notes.Family Stuttard
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-TESTAMENT-181 ... 9c3b3#shId

New Testament with extensive commentary and notes. The notes etc are at least half the text. Tooled leather covers which are both detached from spine. On the inside cover and first page there are a number of Stuttard and Robinson family signatures with dates. The earliest is 1814. Folded inside are newpaper cuttings and church order of services relating to Burnley and the deaths of three soldiers in the First World War. No publisher marked. Poor condition - browning, water marks and some tears on some page corners. 16" x 10". 2.3 kilos. Will be well packed for carriage - we always use re-cycled packaging whenever possible. UK P+P is £5.50. Outside UK buyers please contact first for shipping price.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:10 am 
Willfinder General

Leaver wrote:
NEW TESTAMENT.1814.With Extensive Notes.Family Stuttard
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-TESTAMENT-181 ... 9c3b3#shId

New Testament with extensive commentary and notes. The notes etc are at least half the text. Tooled leather covers which are both detached from spine. On the inside cover and first page there are a number of Stuttard and Robinson family signatures with dates. The earliest is 1814. Folded inside are newpaper cuttings and church order of services relating to Burnley and the deaths of three soldiers in the First World War. No publisher marked. Poor condition - browning, water marks and some tears on some page corners. 16" x 10". 2.3 kilos. Will be well packed for carriage - we always use re-cycled packaging whenever possible. UK P+P is £5.50. Outside UK buyers please contact first for shipping price.

This Bible belonged to Driver Stuttard.

1841 Census - HO107; Piece 508; Book: 5; Civil Parish: Whalley; County: Lancashire; Enumeration District: 18; Folio: 18; Page: 29; Line: 1
Meadow, Habergham Eaves, Burnley
Driver Stuttard, 43yrs, Cotton Warper, b. Lancs
Martha Stuttard, 48yrs, b. Lancs
Thomas Stuttard, 18yrs, Cotton W, b. Lancs
Susannah Stuttard, 20yrs, Cotton W, b. Lancs
James Stuttard, 11yrs, b. Lancs
Francis Stuttard, 9yrs, b. Lancs
Charles Stuttard, 5yrs, b. Lancs
Martha Stuttard, 2yrs, b. Lancs
Ann Smith, 26yrs, Cotton W. b. Lancs
Ellen Smith, 1yr, b. Lancs
Mary Dixon, 19yrs, Cotton W. b. Lancs
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/Defa ... id=3443808

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:57 pm 

RE. the first message.
Are you related to the Stuttard family who where mill owners from early 1900 onwards, it is a big group, they were all retired by 1960's. but have come across various cousins of that surname all living in the Reedley area.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:12 pm 

You will be referring to the company James Stuttard & Sons ltd who had at least 3 mills in the Pendle area plus another at Manchester. James had several sons and each was in charge of 1 of the mills. This company ceased trading in the 1960s I believe. James himself was married at Downham if I remember correctly. I have been in touch with Tony Stuttard of Bolton-in-Bowland who i know to be a direct descendent of James.

Stuttards appear to descend from 2 or 3 separate Pendle based families from the early 1700s. I research all of them but have been unable to link them together at any earlier date and there are a handful of others like James who i have not been able to link to those three main lines. James is not one of mine - I descend from the Stutterds of Colne who include John the baptist minister there for over 40 years. My line also leads to John Boothman Stuttard.

You can contact me direct on geoff.stuttard@ntlworld.com if you wish.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:25 pm 

Yes, these are the one's i know bit about.

All of my parents generation. Will need my mothers old address book and a long trawl through my memory, will contact you on the address you have given. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:42 pm 

Susan Studdard was the mother of John Vipont/Vipan/Veepon b. 1625 by Edward Vipont b. 1599 Bolton by Bowland. Edward Vipont married Jane Halstead in 1629. Burnley Parish Register 22 Sep 1584 --Richard Stuttard m. Alice Halsted.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:39 am 

I am rather late to this Stuttard party but I have found the posts very interesting as I delve into my own Stuttard background. My maternal GGF was Isaac Stuttard born in Rochdale 1859 (my place of birth) and I understand his forbears came from the Colne area. Tracing his line back it looks like his father was John Stuttard 1811 - 1868 and then before that William Stuttard 1787 - 1865. The Stuttard trees on Ancestry make over hasty connections and although it would be nice to think Pastor John c.1750-1818 who ministered for so many years in Colne was a direct descendant, I think that may be unlikely. The Lancs on line parish clerk project has been very useful and I have not yet finished delving but if anyone on here can offer advice and pointers over and above what is already posted I'd be interested to hear.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:43 am 

"Pastor" John as you refer to him had no descendents. With his first wife Betty he had a son who lived to the age 4 and another who died before 2nd birthday. Their other 9 children were all stillborn. One can only marvel at his continued faith in such tragic circumstances. The John who was William's father was John born 1755 son of Richard Stutterd who was the brother of Jabez father of Pastor John. the sons of Jabez all were ministers in the Particular Baptist faith whereas those of Richard show no specific religious inclinations

The 2 Johns are frequently confused because they each married 3 times and on one occasion their marriages were just a month apart but their 2nd and 3rd marriages were all childless due to age.

Pastor John was a Baptist minister - he came to Colne from Haggate. He and his brothers Jabez and William were prolific letter writers and much of their correspondence survives in the Huntingdon Archive at the University of California and formed the basis of a lecture tour by a Bodleain librarian entitled the Stutterd brothers of Colne. Jabez too left a diary which survives on film at Colne library and their are occasional references to his brother John's activities. The descendents of Pastor John's brother William settled in Huddersfield, Banbury and later Tasmania.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:56 am 

Thank you for the info on the Stuttards. I have only just revisited this site and don't think I got a notification of your input. I only joined in Jan this year so not sure if that's how the site works. I was aware of the Huntington collection and did get in touch with them and they will allow browsing of certain docs on line. I've not yet done that but your post has inspired me to delve once again into my Colne Stuttards,

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:55 am 

Note my booklet on Colne Bapt church, using the Huntingdon documents. Still available, see 'Books' section.

Rex