Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Methodist chapel
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:09 pm 

I am interested to know if anybody knows the names and locations of Wesleyan chapels that my grandparents and my father may have attended in the early 1900s. They lived in Ross St., Brierfield and my grandparents ( Walter Thornber Shoesmith and Lizzie Shoesmith ) were Christians and worshipped at a Methodist chapel. My dad ( Walter Shoesmith) used to talk about going to chapel several times on a Sunday but I don't know which one.

Many thanks

Caroline

Post subject: Re: Methodist chapel
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:16 pm 

:) Hi, there is the main Chapel in the middle of Brierfield, still in use with us Methodists.
It is one the left following the main road to Nelson.

My family were attenders at the same time as yours. It was 'The' chapel to be seen at.

I believe that the sign on the front gives a date of very late 1800's for when it was built.

There is also a Baptist chapel nearer to the Burnley side of Brierfield, that has a date of about 1888 on the front.

The others I believe appeared much later, but I might be wrong :?:

It seemed to be all chapels and pubs back then.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:22 pm 

Hi Hannah,
Thanks for the info. You wouldn't happen to know the name of the chapels? I expect there might be a record of infant baptisms somewhere. It's like doing a jigsaw puzzle trying to fit pieces of lives together! Much better than facebook!
Caroline

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:22 am 

Havn't got the full details handy, but will get as much as I can. Don't build up your hopes about records, I'm still waiting (two years on!) for records which another chapel said they had in their possession. I doubt if the current minister will have anything.

Another source of info. for Brierfield is a booklet written by a member of Briercliffe |Society who lives at the old library in Haggate. ( Mel could help with his details) I bought it for my 'kin' in the states, it has photographes and a good history of the time we are both researching.

Will see if I can find out more for you,but in my case it has been footwork, libraries and help from the Briercliffe Society.

Do you have photo's of Brierfield to refer to?

The Baptist Chapel was founded in 1883 and the Wesleyan Chapel ( in the town centre) was founded in 1861.

The Baptist Church is a five min. walk from Ross St. the other at least 10 min :roll: which of course meant nothing in those days.

I can email you photo's if you come via the other link, any records you need you will find someone will have access to a website that will get details.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:05 pm 

Hannah,
Thank you so much for this info. I plan to visit the area in the summer so hopefully will be prepared. I have found lots of photos this week-end which I've scanned and am posting to the website tomorrow. Hopefully they'll be of interest to someone.
Caroline

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:51 pm 
Spider Lady

Wonderful, thanks Caroline

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!