Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:51 pm 
Willfinder General

Stephen, perhaps you found the Haggate burials on the church records page http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Chu ... ecords.htm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:20 pm 
Natural Geek

Yes, that's the one. I stumbled across that page when I first started doing my Sarah Kippax write up. Very useful it was, too!

Is Mel saying that these are a very small amount of the total number, then..?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:34 pm 
Willfinder General

Stephen, I think so. I believe the church record burials which are on the site (for Haggate) only go up to about 1860...I could be wrong though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:34 am 
Spider Lady

Very small. I think what I have had access to only go to either 1820 or 1840ish (can't remember and they are back at home so cannot look). The burials at the library continue for many more years.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:52 am 
Natural Geek

That's why I've not noticed any gaps in the records, I guess - my Briercliffe history only goes up as far as the 1840s anyway!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:42 pm 

I think it has been mentioned on the site before, as follows.

I transcribed many of the births (to c.1841 when the register ceases) at Haggate about 20 years ago, and the burials were done to about the mid 1850s (though they continued of course to be registered). This was a Lancs FHS Society project, undertaken since the microfilm was poor.

I have my own paper copies, and am happy to do look-ups for participants on the site, though it may take a little time. But I think the births are all on the site, if only some burials.

Burnley Library has microfilm of the grave register.

Rex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:07 pm 
Natural Geek

Another free afternoon tomorrow, so I'm off to Burnley archives for the first time!

Any advice...?

I'm keen to find death/burial records for my ancestors Robert Kippax (b.1824) and his wife Betty Skelton
Their son, Joseph (1761-1851), his wife Ann (1764 - 1794) and his siblings Susan (b1767), Tabitha (b1769) and Robert (b1764)

And Joseph's (only?) son Robert Kippax (1789-1864) and his wife Ann Nuttall (1786-1852)

Any advice on where to go in the archives, what records to consult or what questions to ask would be most gratefully appreciated...!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:58 am 
Spider Lady

I'd ask what indexes they have first. These may point you in the right direction. There are some newspaper indexes on the shelves at the back but I'm not sure how complete they are. The earlier deaths probably won't be covered but you never just know - if there was something unusual about the death or if they had a bit of money, they may have an obit. Make a list of Churches/Chapels of interest (and their year of opening) so that you know what/where you are looking. I've always found the staff at Burnley really helpful. Take your digi camera, you can use it but just mention it before you start snapping away in case they have changed their policies. I always find first visit is more of a visit of discovery - what resources there are rather than solving family tree issues.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:42 am 
Natural Geek

Thanks for all that Mel. Very useful!

But I'm now a little concerned. The Internet suggests it's Preston Records Office I should be going to for Haggate related material. It implies Burnley Local Studies Archive doesn't have what I'll want. Which is true in your experience...?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:28 am 
Spider Lady

Only been to Preston a couple of times ans didn't look for church records - or not Haggate anyway.
I have looked at Haggate burials at Burnley, last year I think. I was looking at the 1880's. They definitely had Haggate then. Why not phone before you leave? 01282 437115

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:55 pm 
Natural Geek

Wonderful timing, cheers for that! Burnley was excellent...

Also found an article in Tuesday's Burnley Advertiser. Lots of photos and Roger's words all about the 250th Haggate Baptist chapel anniversary. Wonderful stuff. And judicially photocopied :)

24th March is apparently the date of the next history meeting, and Haggate Chapel will be discussed. Anyone else going? I'll definitely make the journey for this one...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:16 pm 
Spider Lady

Assuming we don't get held up on the journey back from France (we arrive back in Staffs on the 23rd), and also assuming I'm not completely worn out following the 800 mile drive, I'll be there with my mum.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:23 am 
Spider Lady

So did you find what you actually went for Stephen?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:33 pm 
Natural Geek

It's hard to say what I actually *did* want. I found bits and bobs certainly that I'll need to corroborate against what I already have. I also got huge Kippaxian chunks of the Colne registers which should prove very useful. I certainly didn't find any burial locations for my direct ancestry, sadly. However, the Haggate inscription book did offer lots of Kipaaxian burial plots, in that whole A-L plot category. However (again!) the only plot it mentioned by location was 'F'. I'm not sure how one works out quite where the others are supposed to be.

I think I've finally worked out the location of the old chapel, too. I've attached some photos relating to my last trip to Haggate. I hope the one in which I'm holding a copy of the chapel photo doesn't infringe any copyright, but if it does, then feel free to wipe it!

The second photo shows my awful attempts at archaeology in digging out the steps, but hopefully viewers can see both the steps in from the road and the steps leading up to the path that would surround the old chapel.

Next step I guess is trying to work out whereabouts in Lane Bottom etc. my lot actually lived!

Attachments:
S6304230.jpg
S6304230.jpg [ 192.42 KiB | Viewed 13811 times ]
S6304229.jpg
S6304229.jpg [ 148.96 KiB | Viewed 13811 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:02 pm 
Spider Lady

Interesting.
I though it might have been on the other side of the steps :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next