Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Death research
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:36 pm 

I've been looking at possible registered deaths for my ancestors and I've narrowed it down to about a dozen. Using the Free BMD sites, I've got the year, Vol, page no. etc.
I'm planning on visiting the LRO during the Easter week after Bank Holiday hopefully and wanted to know a couple of things. Is it too much to ask the LRO to view so many records in one visit and are they likely to be on fiche?
The other thing is what information am I likely to find in the records office for deaths registered in the county - will it tell me an address, names of other people or any other useful stuff? I mean, am I saving the cost of certificates by going to LRO?
I've never been there before, I am a keen novice, and I wouldn't want it to be a wasted journey.
any help appreciated :)
Rob

Post subject: Re: Death research
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:28 am 
Spider Lady

Hi Rob, you won't be able to view the 'deaths' at the LRO.

Freebmd is the index to the records held by the GRO - General Register Office. I don't think you can visit there. You used to be allowed to visit the local register offices but you had to pay a (high) fee and book an appointment. I'm not sure what this fee would allow you as it's something I've never done. I also don't know if this service is still available.
The info on a death certificate is - Date of death, name and usual address, address where death occured, age, cause, informant, registrar. Think that is it?

The LRO is still worth a visit. They have lots of Parish Records and wills and far too much to list. They have an online catalogue http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/education/ ... alogue.asp
Type in the name or area of interest and you should get plenty of results.

If you have an idea where the person might be buried, it could be worth looking at burial records for the churches in the area. It doesn't guarantee a result unfortunately and you won't get the kind of info you get on a certificate.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:34 am 

Thanks mel,
that's really helpful. I'm assuming that they would have had some kind of church burial service so I suppose the parish records would give me some good info. I suppose this sounds like a daft question but, in your experience, did you find that most of your ancestors had burial services close to where they were living? It makes sense, I guess.
Looking at google maps they were at Grey St, Burnley in 1911 so it's not that far back. They had family links with Brierfield and previous upbringings and births in Habergham Eaves so they must have had a service somewhere around there, it doesn't look like there's too much distance between those places.
I'll have to do some research into the area and try to ascertain what churches there were locally.
I never even thought of cremation either. This is becoming more complicated by the day :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:44 pm 
Natural Geek

Burial services would be conducted within a church (or two!) of the person's place of residence. Much like today, really.

Burnley Library should suit you fine with regards to burial records.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:33 pm 
Spider Lady

Not daft questions Rob. I'm not convinced that they stayed local to be honest. I have a Sutcliife born and bred in Briercliffe who was buried in St Thomas, Barrowford. His wife is at Wheatley Lane Inghamite Chapel. They both died near Turf Moor. Cremation didn't begin until about the 1950's. It may be earlier in some areas but I don't think it would be pre-20th century.

Something to bear in mind, Preston has some records not held at Burnley (st Andrews I believe). It's also possible that Burnley has some exclusives too. Colne library has just had a refurb - the librarians there seem to know their stuff, particularly Christine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:25 am 
Willfinder General

If you know the approximate date of death, you could look at the obituaries in the local paper. If you find an obit, it will more than likely name the place of burial.

Burnley library has a suname index for the Burnley Express (not complete).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:29 am 

Hi Rob
your relatives could also be buried at Burnley cemetry if so try - bereavementservices@burnley.gov.uk - send email with your relative details ie - name year and month quarter - and if they have a plot there you will get details backof buriel date where they lived and grave number plus information on others buried there.

hope this info will help

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:17 am 
Spider Lady

Thanks Gizmo. Welcome to the forum