Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:55 am 
Spider Lady

Information about this church can be found at http://www.openchurchestrust.org.uk/Churches/Briercliffe.htm

Copies of the Parish Records can be viewed at Burnley and Nelson libraries.
C 1841-1900, M 1843-1900, Bur 1841-1894.
The Banns 1860-1900 and Confirmations 1851-1900 are, I believe, at Burnley Library only.
The Church has a small graveyard that is still in use and well cared for.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:23 pm 
Spider Lady

A couple of images from events at St James in the 1950's

http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Pho ... %20Day.htm

http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Pho ... 0Queen.htm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:28 pm 
Spider Lady

The Preston Guardian

Saturday 9 June 1860

Briercliffe Bazaar

This bazaar was brought to a close on the evening of Saturday last. We understand the the Rev. E. S. Hoole has realised about £250 for the erection of his schools, and the repairs of the church at Briercliffe. Many valuable articles remain unsold, and will form a nucleus for a second bazaar for the same laudable purpose.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:11 pm 
Spider Lady

Preston Guardian

Saturday 30 May 1846

St. James's Church, Briercliffe. — On Sunday last, two excellent sermons were preached in St James's Church, Briercliffe; the one in the afternoon by the Rev. John Studdard, incumbent of the district of St. Paul's, Burnley, and that in the evening by the Rev. Daniel Sutcliffe, B.A., curate of Worsthorne, near Burnley. Collections were made after each sermon towards defraying the current expenses of the church, which amounted to the handsome sum of £14.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:02 am 
Spider Lady

http://www.burnleyexpress.net/peek-into ... 5928693.jp

Chartists opposed building of Briercliffe church in 1843

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:58 pm 
Computer Whizz

An interesting read Mel, thanks for adding it.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:35 pm 
Computer Whizz

Went in St James on sunday, never been in before and expected it to be a lot bigger inside than it felt.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:41 pm 
Spider Lady

I've not been in, are there any/many memorials or plaques inside Gloria?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:20 am 
Computer Whizz

Crikey, this is awful but I never noticed any. We went to a renewal of vows and got engrossed in that, never having been to one before. I know they have central heating as the radiator near us kept making gurgling sounds---or the dead were trying to communicate :wink: It struck me as being quite a bare church.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:08 am 
Spider Lady

This probably reflects quite badly on me....I am terrible for gazing around whenever in Church :? :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:42 pm 
Computer Whizz

I'm normally the same Mel, probably as I don't do religion. But this was a really good "service".

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:51 am 
Spider Lady

The Blackburn Standard
Wednesday, June 06, 1838

Burnley

we announced about ten months ago, that a house had been hired at a place called Hack Gate, in the chapelry of Burnley, for the purpose of divine worship according to the ritual of the Church of England; and we subsequently stated that a subscription had been commenced, and other measures adopted to forward the erection of a church, "in this remote and incivilized tract," as it is termed by the learned Historian of Whalley. We are now happy to add that the fund is rapidly augmenting, and that, ere long, the "hired house" will be superseded, not, perhaps by so splendid and magnificent a temple as that which succeeded St Paul's, in the capital of Christendom, but by a neat and commodious Church, in which the hardy inhabitants, who have too long been suffered to wander on the mountains, as sheep without a shepherd, may worship the GOD of their fathers in "a more excellent way," as we think than even those who have attended some place of worship in that neighbourhood, have hitherto done. In the meanwhile divine service, with a few exceptions, has been regularly performed every Sunday, in the house alluded to; and on Sunday afternoon, a sermon was preached by the REV WiLLIAM MERCER, B.A., Curate of Burnley, which was followed by a collection towards defraying the incidental expenses. The weather being on the whole not unfavourable - the preacher very popular - and the object praiseworthy and of good report - great numbers of persons went from Burnley and Colne, (the village of Hack Gate being nearly equi-distant from both towns), and the house was crowded to overflow. The sermon was very appropriate; and when our readers are informed that Hack Gate is one of the highest villages in the counties of Lancaster and York, they will deem the text, even literally speaking, equally apposite. It was from Isaiah, xx. verse, 6, "In this mountain shall the Lord of hosts make unto all people a feast of fat things, a feast of wines on the lees, of fat things full of marrow, of wines on the lees well refined." That the preacher laboured not in vain, may be inferred from the fact that the very handsome sum of £14.10s. was realized at the close of the service, notwithstanding the inhabitants are in very indigent circumstances, being mostly hand-loom weavers, and those who came from the neighbouring towns had contributed liberally towards the proposed church. We think, we ought to add, for the encouragement of those individuals at a distance, who have the means and the will to promote the erection of the new Church, that its completion is ardently desired by the poor villagers, who have subscribed to the best of their ability, and that "the house" has hitherto, been exceedingly well attended - proofs of their anxiety to enjoy the privileges of a regular ministry, and the ordinances of our truly Apostolical Church. Before any endeavours were made by the National Church to give the people the opportunity of public worship, various sectarians had tried, but without success; and for aught that could be done for these poor people by any dissenting denomination, they might have perished for lack of that knowledge which leadeth unto eternal life.