Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Alice Ashworth
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:02 pm 

I am hoping that someone who has access to an index for the 1841 Lancashire census willbe able to look up for me the whereabouts of Alice Ashworth who was born about 1761. Unfortunately I have the census bout no index.

Post subject: Re: Alice Ashworth
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:29 pm 
Computer Whizz

The only Alice Ashworth I can find born c1761 in the 1841 census is living with an Edmund Ashworth aged 40yrs at Fowl Edge, Haslingden. I cannot read what is her means of employment but he is a cotton weaver. Both born in county.
Hope this helps.
Gloria

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:27 pm 

Thanyou Gloria, she is a possible. I need to do some more research. Why is everything so complicated.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:31 am 
Computer Whizz

It keeps us on our toes Gill.
What else do you know about Alice? Anything/dates/children/marriages/where she lived would be helpful.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:35 pm 

Alice was the wife of Edmund Ashworth. They lived in Waterside Colne. He was a wool comber. ( not to be confused with the more affluent Edmund who was a farmer I believe at Blacko. )They had a son John who married Mary Walton. At least I think I have the correct John because he is the only John Ashworth I can find in the 1841 census who was born in Colne. However there is quite a major problem. Their child John was born in 1783 but not baptised until 1792 .Yet his age on all the census is as if he was born on his baptism date. I cannot believe that someone who was 9 when they were baptised wouldn't know that they were really 9 years older than their baptism date. They also had another child Emund born in 1787 who died a pauper aged 1 year in Colne on 20.11.1787. I only know of those two children. I can find no marriage for Alice and Edmund except in Rossendale and their dates don't match. Maybe as they were so poor they were never legally married.
So that's my problem. Maybe there was an error in the recording of the baptism, or maybe I,m on the wrong track altogether. I am only confident that John Ashworth married Mary Walton in 1823 . Further back than that I am not sure.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:07 pm 
Computer Whizz

The Alice I found in 1841 Haslingden with Edmund, I would have thought was her son. He would have been about 40yrs at the time, bearing in mind some of the enumerators of the 1841 used to round ages up/down. If she had already had one named Edmund who died it is entirely feasible they would have called the next by the same name.
On the familysearch site is a wedding of an Edmund Ashworth to an Alice on 4th Nov 1782 Newchurch in Rossendale, Lancashire. That would fit in with John born 1783.
I put in Edmund Ashworth as father and Alice as mother, to find any children, and there is a rake of them around Rossendale, none in the Colne area.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:43 pm 

Thankyou Gloria. The only wedding I had found was an 1897 one between Edmund Ashworth and Alice Taylor. I don't know how I came to miss that one. I take it that Alice was also an Ashworth as there is an actual date for the wedding, not just speculation. However as they had loads of children in Rossendale, it looks as if they aren,t the lot I'm searching for. I think my next task is to search for a burial of John and Alice in Colne.However I think I've already tried that unsuccessfully. I really must make a clear note of what I havn't found as well as what I have to save going over the same stuff over and over. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:02 pm 
Computer Whizz

"""I really must make a clear note of what I havn't found as well as what I have to save going over the same stuff over and over. """

That is the bane of my life, took me ages to twig to doing that, and still I find myself going over the same stuff again.