Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Quarter Sessions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:47 pm 
Spider Lady

The Preston Guardian
Saturday October 23 1847

Andrew Murray, (54,imp.), pleaded not guilty to obtaining, at Habergham Eaves, on the 26th august, from Ellen Whittaker, two lbs. of butter, two lbs. of cheese, and one oz. of tobacco, with intent to cheat and defraud the said Ellen Whittaker of the same. Sentenced to three months' imprisonment, with hard labour, in the House of Correction.

Benjamin Thompson, (26, imp.), pleaded not guilty to obtaining, from Tabitha Atkinson, at Burnley, on the 4th May last, the sum of £2 10s., with intent to cheat and defraud her of the same. Sentenced to six months' imprisonment, with hard labour, in the House of Correction.

James Laycock, 22 (n.,) pleaded guilty to stealing at Burnley, on the 1sr inst., one pair of trowsers, the property of William Hopkins. Mr Milne stated the case. The trowsers had been washed and hung out to dry, when the prisoner stole them, and when taken into custody had them on under his own. Sentenced to two months' imprisonment, with hard labour, in the House of Correction.

Mary Hilton, 34, (n.), pleaded guilty to a misdemeanour, in having in her possession, on the 22nd august last, at Burnley, five pieces of false and counterfeit coin, resembling the Queen's gold coin called a sovereign and half sovereign, with intent, then and there, to utter the same, well knowing them to be false and counterfeit. Sentenced to three months' imprisonment. with hard labour, in the House of Correction.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:24 am 
Spider Lady

Preston Guardian
Saturday July 6 1850

Preston Quarter Sessions

James Hewetson, 44 (n.), pleaded guilty to stealing at Burnley, on the 20th of June, 40lbs. weight of lead, the property of Mr. Henry Berry. Mr. Whigham stated the case. The prisoner was in the employ of the East Lancashire Railway Company, at Burnley, where a considerable quantity of lead was used, and he availed himself of the opportunity of stealing 40lbs. weight of the metal. Sentenced to two months imprisonment, with hard labour, in the House of Correction

James Baldwin, 36 (imp.), was charged with stealing at Burnley, on the 1st of June, one crown piece, the property of Thos. Greenall. In this case the Grand Jury ignored the bill.

Thomas Jones, 28 (imp.), pleaed not guilty to stealing, at Burnley, on the 28th of May, one handkerchief, the property of John Fidgewell. A verdict of Guilty was returned, and the prisoner was sentenced to two months' imprisonment, with hard labour, in the House of Correction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:40 am 
Spider Lady

Preston Guardian
Saturday April 7 1832

Preston Quarter Sessions

James Sherry, aged 20, was charged with stealing at Burnley, on the 14th January last, two shillings and sixpence, the monies of William Whittaker, an innkeeper. The prisoner, it was stated in evidence, asked for change of a half-crown from the prosecutor's wife, and having received it in two shillings and a sixpence, he enquired if they could give it him in sixpences. She asked him if he had returned the first change, which she was not sure of, and he said he had. She then took up his half-crown and gave him the second change. She afterwards found that she was half-a-crown short. It was proved that he was changing half-crowns on the same day, or attempting to change them, in a similar way, with other parties. The counsel for the prisoner contended that there was no case of larceny made out, as the fact of his receiving the change on pretence that he would give a half-crown piece in return, did not constitute the offence, but amounted merely to receiving money under false pretences. He cited several cases in favur of this plea. The prisoner received a good character. After a consultation of considerable length the jury found a verdict of guilty. The Chairman said, that in consequence of the long imprisonment he had already suffered, the court should remand him to one months' imprisonment

Henry Wadsworth, 27 and James Barker, 48, were jointly indicted, the former charged with breaking into a warehouse, at Colne, and stealing ten pieces of cotton cloth, the property of Thomas Thornber and Nicholas England; and the latter with receiving the 10 pieces, and one other piece, knowing the same to be stolen. Thomas Greenwood, who had been apprehended for receiving the same, was admitted approved against the prisoners. There was nothing extraordinary in the evidence. The pieces, it appeared, were offered for sale to Barker, and were bought at a price something below what they would have fetched in the market. Some of the marks which had originally been on the pieces had been torn or cut off. The case as affecting the other. The prisoner Barker is himself a manufacturer of some standing, and received a good character from several respectable witnesses. The jury found both prisoners guilty.
Henry Wadsworth, the above prisoner was then charged, on another indictment, with stealing, in February, from the warehouse of Mr. Smith, at Briercliffe, twenty three cotton pieces, the property of William Smith. The indictment contained a count for breaking into the prosecutor's warehouse. To the style of thereof, the defendant's counsel objected as he considered the venue not to be well laid. Briercliffe is only termed part of a township, namely Briercliffe with Entwistle.
The court confirmed the objection so taken, and the first count in the indictment was quashed, but the prisoner was tried on the general counts of the indictment for stealing only. Prisoner found guilty of stealing.
James Barker was again ordered to the bar, charged on another indictment with receiving at Colne, 23 pieces of cotton, the property of William Smith.
Thomas Greenwood, who turned the King's evidence, proved his having sold the pieces to the prisoner, on the 15th October last for 2s. 9d. per piece.
Mr. Smith, the prosecutor, swore to the pieces being his property, and that they were worth about 4s. per piece.
The clerk to the committing magistrates being sworn to the depositions, the voluntary examination of the prisoner was then read, stating that he had never had any dealings with Greenwood before this.
The jury found the prisoner guilty, and the court sentenced the prisoner on the above indictment to 7 years transportation, and 7 years further on the previous indictment.
N.B. -The prisoner Wadsworth, in the former case, was also transported 14 years - seven years on each indictment.

Anthony Clarke, only 10 years of age, and Jas. Thomas, 13, were indcited for stealing at Burnley, in February, a brass weight, the property of Paul Veevers, and Thomas was further charged with stealing a lead weight, the property of Oliver Tillotson. The Chairman, on summing up, lamented that there was no power in magistrates to deal with cases of persons so young as the prisoners at the bar, in a summary manner, so as to supersede the necessity of bringing such cases before the court. He wished the law were altered in this respect, but as it stood, the must act under it. Both the prisoners were found guilty, and it was stated that there was another charge against Thomas of a similar nature. The Chairman sentenced them to 2 months' imprisonment and to be whipped

Post subject: Re: Quarter Sessions
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:43 pm 
Spider Lady

The Preston Guardian
Saturday Janury 5th 1850

Quarter Sessions

James Thomas, 13 (imp.), pleaded guilty to a charge of stealing, at Burnley, on the 8th of December last, one purse, one sovereign, ten shillings, and two sixpences, the property and moneys of John Clayton. Sentenced to fifteen calendar months' imprisonment, with hard labour, in the House of Correction.

Samuel Eastern, 16 (imp.), pleaded guilty to stealing at Burnley, on the 22nd of December last, one apron, the property of Henry Hoys. Sentenced to four calendar months' imprisonment, with hard labour.

John Dyson (on bail), and Robert Speak (on bail), stood indicted, the former with stealing at Barrowford Booth, on the 18th December last, five half-crowns, fifteen shillings, and ten sixpences, the moneys of William Brown, from his person; and the latter with receiving wo half-crowns, four shillings, and four sixpences, part of the said moneys, well knowing the same to have been stolen.-Mr. Whigham prosecuted, and Mr. Segar was retained for the defence. The jury, after hearing the evidence acquitted both prisoners.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:01 am 
Spider Lady

The Preston Guardian
Saturday Janury 5th 1850

Quarter Sessions

John Wood, 28 (n.), pleaded guilty to a charge of stealing, at Burnley, on the 6th of December last, one case of combs, ten combs, and three pairs of scissors, the property of William Watson. Mr. Milne prosecuted, and Mr. Aston was retained for the defence. William Watson being called, said he remembered Thursday, the 6th of December. He was in the Sun Inn public-house, in Burnley. He was in the bar parlour between 11 and 12 o'clock at night. The prisoner was there also, offering combs and scissors for sale. He bought a quantity from him, for which he paid 9s. He afterwards repeated of his bargain, and said to the prisoner that he would let him have them back. To this the prisoner said, "Let us go to another public-house to make the bargain." They accordingly repaired towards the New Market Tavern, but they afterwards turned back, in order to return to the Sun Inn, when the prisoner tripped him up, knocked him down, and ran off with the combs and scissors. The prisoner's hat flew off, and he ran away without it. He (witness) was not quite sober, but he knew what he was doing. He pursued the prisoner, but could not catch him. - Henry Stuttard deposed to being in the Sun Inn public-house on the evening of the 6th Dec. He saw both Watson and the prisoner there. Watson bought some combs and scissors from the prisoner, for which he paid 9s.; but afterwards rued his bargain. He heard Watson offer to let the prisoner have them back for 8s. The prisoner and Watson went out together. He did not consider either of them drunk, or perferctly sober. John Stephenson, police-officer, said he apprehended the prisoner at between one and two o'clock on the morning of the 7th Dec. He charged him with the theft, to which the prisoner said, "I think not, it has only been a drunked spree." A hat was brought by police-officer Blackledge, which the prisoner identified as his own. - Jamet Blackledge, a police-officer, deposed to finding a hat where the occurrence took place. He took it to the station, and the prisoner said that it was his. A verdict of "Not guilty" was returned, and the prisoner was discharged accordingly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:22 pm 
Spider Lady

The Liverpool Mercury
Friday March 19 1824

John Clegg, 46, was charged with the manslaughter of Richard Aikin, a boy, at Habergham Eaves, Burnley, in Janury last. Deceased had taken some shovels to the shop where the prisoner, a blacksmith, worked. They were to be marked. On going for them again, finding they were not done, he reproached the prisoner. This led to words, and the prisoner threw a pick at hom, which so wounded him as to cause excessive bleeding, and he died a few days afterwards. Prisoner acknowledged, at the time, that he threw the pick in a passion. In his defence, the prisoner urged that the boy was extremely rude to him: and that, in suddenly turning round, the pick had slipped from his hand and wounded the boys thigh. Prisoner was of good character. Guilty; ten months' imprisonment and hard labour.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:17 pm 
Spider Lady

The Preston Guardian

Saturday July 6 1850

Preston Quarter Sessions

James Hewetson, 44 (n.), pleaded guilty to stealing at Burnley, on the 20th June, 40lbs. weight of lead, the property of Mr. Henry Berry. Mr. Whigham stated the case. The prisoner was in the employ of the East Lancashire Railway Company, at Burnley, where a considerable quantity of lead was sued, and he availed himself of the opportunity of stealing 40lbs. weight of metal. Sentenced to two months' imprisonment, with hard labour, in the House of Correction.

James Baldwin, 36 (imp.), was charged with stealing at burnley, on the 1st of Jun, one crown piece, the property of Thos. Greenall. In this case the Grand Jury ignored the bill.

Henry Barnes, 18 (n.), pleaded guilty to stealing at Habergham Eaves, on the 23th May, three shirts, the property of Holden Heap, and two shirts, the property of John Crowther. Sentenced to two months' imprisonment, with hard labour, in the House of Correction.

Wm. Atkinson, 48, (imp.), pleaded not guilty to receiving, at Habergham Eaves, on the 22nd December last, 36 hanks of yarn, well knowing the same to have ben stolen. The prisoner objected to one of the jury, on the ground that he had had some difference with him at Colne about 25 years since. - (Laughter.) Another juryman was sworn, and Mr. Whigham stated the case, and called Wm. Loomas, who said he was a wholesale grocer at Colne about 25 years since. Early in the month of January missed about three dozens of white yarn from the premises, weighing 36lbs. - John Taylor examined, said: I am a weaver by trade, and have lived lately in Burnley. I have lived there for the last six or seven years, but I have been out of it for two and three months together. I know the prisoner. He has a draper's shop at the Lane-bridge, Habergham Eaves. Remeber last Christmas going at about five o'clock in the evening to a warehouse in Manchester-road, Burnley. I went in at the warehouse door, which was partly open, and I turned in at the right hand side. I took two bundles of yarn off a shelf, and taking them out of the warehouse, put them among some stones about 100 yards off. I then went to the Ship Inn, where I saw the prisoner. I said I had two bundles of yarn to sell him, and he asked where I had got it, and I said "At Mr. Lomas's warehouse." I afterwards took the yarn and left it at the prisoner's house, and he gave me two half-crowns for it. - Cross examined by Mr. Segar: I make boxes for a living. I have committed two felonies in my life. - Mr. Segar: What, only two? - Witness: Its enew, is'nt it? - (Laughter.) - Mr. Segar: Only two? - Witness: Two, and this. Never had any transaction with this man except this one. Have been charged with a felony here. Didn't get off with telling of somebody else. Got a month for it. Don't know whether I am to be prosecuted for this felony. The police never employed me. Re-examined: About eighteen months ago I had some conversation with the prisoner. He said he had heard Mr. Haslam had lost a large quantity of goods, and asked me if I had taken them. I said I knew nothing about them. He said that if I had them he would send them off to Wigan. Several other witnesses were called, who deposed to the prisoner's having absconded shortly after the robbery, and to his having been apprehended on the 24th June, at Wigan. - Mr. Segar addressed the jury for the defence, and a verdicr of "Not Guilty" was returned.

Thomas Jones, 28 (imp.), pleaded not guilty to stealing, at Burnley, on the 28th May, one handkerchief, the property of John Fidgewell. A verdict of Guilty was returned, and the prisoner was sentenced to two months' imprisonment, with hard labour, in the House of Correction.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:38 pm 

Maybe today's yobs would think twice if sentences were as strong as these!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:50 pm 
Spider Lady

The Preston Guardian

Preston Quarter Sessions

Saturday July 5 1873

Burglary - Amos Smith 11, was charged with breaking and entering the dwelling-house of Wm. Crabtree, on the 22nd of May, at Little Marsden, and stealing therefrom half a sovereign. -The jury returned a verdict of guilty, and prisoner was sentenced to 12 calendar months imprisonment in the House of Correction.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:33 pm 
Spider Lady

The Preston Guardian

Saturday April 9 1853

Preston Quarter Sessions

Joseph Sutcliffe, 26, charged with stealing at Burnley, 6lbs. of meat, the property of Hartley Foulds. -One month's imprisonment.

James Baldwin, 26, stealing at Burnley, £4, the property of Joseph Greenoff. -Fifteen years' imprisonment.

Mary Green, alias Mary Russell, 30, stealing at Burnley, three-pence, from the person of Thomas Smith. -Bill cut.

Alice Brown, 35, stealing at Burnley, a shirt, the property of W. Henry Sagar. -Three months' imprisonment.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:50 am 
Spider Lady

The Preston Chronicle
Saturday April 19 1834

Thomas Heatley, 26, and Mark Wilkman, 25, were charged with stealing at COlne, a leaden flower pot or urn, and 40lb. weight of lead, the property of Edward Parkins, and John Harris and Robert Berry were charged with receiving the same, knowing them to have been stolen. The two first prisoners having pleaded guilty, the trial affected only the latter. It appeared that the flower pot in question had been stolen from the prosecutor at Emmott Hall, cut up in pieces, and sold by the two first prisoners to Berry, who had afterwards sold it to Harrison, who was a dealer in old metal. The latter in the way of his business exchanged it at an ironmongers for a quantity of tin cups in which he dealt, and no attempt was made by either prisoner to melt the lead or hammer it so that it might not again be known. The examinations of the prisoners agreed with the facts that came out in evidence, and went to exculpate them from a knowledge of its having been dishonestly come by. The Jury acquitted both the prisoners, and the chairman told them to be cautious of whom they again purchased old metal. They were then discharged. The two prisoners who had pleaded guilty to stealing the leaden pot, were then remanded to hard labour for three calendar months each.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:12 am 
Spider Lady

The Preston Chronicle

Saturday 19 October 1833

Henry Wood, 40, was indicted for stealing at Cliviger, two carcasses of mutton, two butchers' knives, and a basket, the property of William Higgin, a butched there. A watchman (one of the witnesses) said in effect, he was on duty in the night in question, and observed the prisoner making away with what appeared to him like two wallet bags, slung over his shoulder. He had some suspicion that all was not right, and went after him along with his dog. He was on one side of the road and the dog on the other. The prisoner, when he got to the canal, threw what he had into the water backwards. Witness then went up and tripped up his heels, till he got him into the canal. (Laughter.) He kept him there for some minutes, until a man came to his assistance, when they took the prisoner into custody. The canal was afterwards dragged, and a quantity of mutton was found, - also two skeleton keys, and two butchers' knives. The mutton, (part of which had since been salted and dried,) was identified, as also the two knives, as having been stolen from the premises of the prosecutor, and his property. The prisoner said that he had received the two bundles from two men, who had run off; but his stry not being credited, the jury gave a verdict of guilty, and as he had a bad character, the sentence of the Court was, that he should be transported for the term of 7 years.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:38 pm 
Spider Lady

Preston Chronicle

Saturday April 7 1832

Joseph Parker, David. Barker, and William Greenwood, were charged with breaking into the canal warehouse at Habergham Eaves, on the 25th of January, and stealing therefrom a large quantity of leather. The goods were found partly in a coal house, and partly in the house of one of the prisoners, and the other two were seen in the house mending" shoes with a portion of it. The Chairman, in summing up, drew a distinction between the probable degrees of guilt, assigning the least to Barker, and the most
to Greenwood. Several witnesses spoke to their characters; but the constable swore, that if it were put to any twenty of the inhabitants of the township, eighteen of them would vote for their transportation for life! _The sister of one of the witnesses spoke up in court, and said that the constables had behaved, most shamefully, and had assaulted her. She added that there were witnesses who could prove that the leather was brought to her brother's house, but the magistrates would not hear them. The jury found them guilty. The Chairman said that there would be no security for property if such characters were allowed to be at large in this country, and he sentenced them to 7 years' transportation.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:50 pm 
Spider Lady

Preston Chronicle

Saturday April 7 1832

James Sherry, aged 20, was charged with stealing at Burnley, on the 14th January last, two shilling and sixpence, the monies of William Whittaker, an innkeeper. The prisoner, it was stated in evidence, asked for change of a half crown from the prosecutor's wife, and having received it in two shillings and a sixpence, he enquired if they could give it him in sixpences. She asked him if he had returned the first change which she was not sure of, and he said he had. She then took up his half-crown and gave him the second change. She afterwards found that she was half-a-crown short. It was proved that he was changing half crowns on the same day, or attempting to change them, in a similar way, with other parties. The counsel for the prisoner contended that there was no case of larceny made out, as the fact of his receiving the change on pretence that he would give a half-crown piece in return, did not constitute the offence, but amounted merely to receiving money under false pretence's. He cited several cases in favour of this plea. The prisoner received a good character. After a consultation of considerable length, the jury found a verdict of guilty. The Chairman said that in consequence of the long imprisonment he had already suffered, the court should remand him to one months imprisonment.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:13 pm 
Spider Lady

The Lancaster Gazette and General Advertiser
Saturday, January 28, 1809

Preston Quarter Sessions

At Preston Quarter Sessions, on the 12th inst. Rachael Dearden for stealing one silk handkerchief, the property of John Eastwood, of Burnley, was sentenced to six months imprisonment.