Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:34 am 

I have (@ least two) identified graves which belong to my family under the surname Simpson and on looking @ your website I am 99% certain that a further grave belongs to Annie Simpson of 290b Colne Rd, Burnley who died 21/02/1904. However, although I have been up to the graveyard on several occasions have been unable to locate the grave and would appreciate a pointer in the correct direction.
A photo' is on the website under "Simpson", the details start - ?? THE BELOVED WIFE ?? WILLIAM SIMPSON. It is noted as being in the Halifax Road section. I wonder if anyone could be more specific?
Thank you for your assistance.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:39 pm 
Spider Lady

Hi Fiddler, welcome to the forum.
I'll give Stephen a nudge and ask if he can hep as he took the one you are interested in. With a bit of luck, he will remember just where it was.
Winter is always a better time to visit the Halifax Road section though I should point out that it is fenced of for H&S reasons.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:18 pm 
Natural Geek

Mel,

Thanks for the prod!

The grave in question I remember well as, worryingly, whilst I was trying to clean it, I noticed the letters becoming loose. Hence I left it (largely) well alone.

How to find the grave? Well, as Mel said it's in the old part of Haggate. Head to the back of the 'normal' grave yard and under (or over) the fence. Keeping the wall to your right, follow it around the corner and the grave in question is about half-way down the slope and is leaning against the wall.

Good luck in finding it! It definitely is there, though!

Stephen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:39 pm 

Hi Stephen & Mel,
Thank you both for your help.
I have now found the grave & can Identify it within my family tree and clarify the ?'s on the "grave photo" on this website.
Unfortunately it now gives me other (@ present) unanswered questions as there are further inscriptions on the side of the stone - "Died March 10th 1909 aged 55 years" - to which I have not yet identified the correct relation!
Also, some of the stonework from the grave is missing but I hope to find this during the winter months when the grass has died down.
There is also another stone close with a M.I. of - "In Loving Memory of Mother Mary Anne Sutcliffe who died Feb 15th 1935 aged 76".
Another bi-product of the visit was finding a handbag hanging on a tree over the grave - clearly thrown over the wall by a thief (with £60.00 in cash & a driving licence + other sundry items inside). We, (the wife & I) were able to return this to the grateful local owner who had been visited by an unwelcome visitor a few days before.
So, once again, thanks for your help.
Fiddler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:15 pm 
Spider Lady

How lucky for the handbag owner!

I'm going to be looking through my Sutcliffes now to see if I can help with the 'Mother Mary Ann'.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:17 am 
Spider Lady

Hi Fiddler, could you tell me what the ??? on the stone were please and I'll amend the picture on the site - assuming you mean you managed to replace ??? with detail :shock:

I have a possibility for the Mother Sutcliffe. I have a Mary Ann Emmott (who married Henry Sutcliffe) who was born in 1857, lived Briercliffe area, with no date of death and I don't know who the children married.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:07 pm 
Computer Whizz

Well done for recovering the bag and returning it.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:57 pm 

Thank you for your quick response & encouragement etc.
The correct details of the M.I. are as follows;
On the front of the stone -
"Annie the beloved wife of William Simpson, of Colne Rd Burnley who departed this life Feb 21st 1904 aged 28 years"
And on the right hand side of the stone -
"Died March 10th 1909 aged 55 years."
Fiddler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:15 pm 
Natural Geek

Deaths Mar 1909 (>99%)
SIMPSON Andrew 62 Burnley 8e 171 Scan available - click to view
SIMPSON Elizabeth 56 Burnley 8e 218 Scan available - click to view
SIMPSON Nancy 44 Burnley 8e 158 Scan available - click to view

Elizabeth Simpson, perhaps...?