Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:50 pm 

I'm wondering if anyone's found any connection with namesakes in Nottinghamshire involved in the lace making industry, particularly John LEAVER/LEVER of lace-making machine fame.

I'm not sure if I've traced a link with my husband's LEEVERS family, though have been given two different 'certain' details for him; both of whom happen to be in my tree. Unfortunately it's a popular first name for LEVERs boys in Notts around 1770 when he was born, so I'm really not sure.

I noticed that this group has a number of folks of the name who are in the lace industry in Lancs and wondered if you had more knowledge of this.

Very keen to hear from researchers of this name in any case, whether or not you have anything about this specific enquirey and I shall be making my way through the numerous postings asap.

Please let me know if I'm breaking group rules, or there is some protocol I've missed in my enthusiasm. Hard being the new gal.

Best regards,
Jack
Mrs Jackie LEEVERS nee SAVAGE

Nottingham Machine Lacemakers
A Lecture by Elisabeth Simpson at Our October Meeting.
(Tulle 24, February 1989)
This is a story about some lace-makers ... in particular machine-lace-makers.
One notable name is that of JOHN LEAVERS.
He was born in Sutton-in-Ashfield in Nottinghamshire in 1786 and learnt his trade as a "setter-up" of lace machines in Radford.
Much has been written about him, his ingenuity, his patience, his withdrawal from the mainstream of the industry. He liked to work alone - some say to protect his patents - some because he was just that sort of man. But we have to remember that he was trying to build this machine during the time when the Luddite rebels and frame breakers were
smashing everything they could lay hands on.
Is it particularly remarkable then that he seemed to be working in secret? Undoubtedly he was a genius and is recognised today as the "Father" of the modern lace industry.
By 1815 he had built a prototype of the machine which would become world famous and stamp the name LEAVERS for ever into the industry . . this he did in a tiny garret in a building in Nottingham which can still he seen today.
A machine which was later described as combining the strength and intelligence of the elephant with the delicacy, patience and artistry of the spider.
Leavers "Improved" machine was first used in a factory belonging to STEVENSON and SKIPWORTH in Nottingham ...this about 1815... and the machine-made lace industry "began" in Nottinghamshire.
A lot of people prospered, but strangely the story relates that John Leavers often hadn't two half-pennies to rub together.
By 1821 he was thoroughly disillusioned and with two of his brothers, Thomas and Joseph, moved over to France.
There they built a machine at Grande Couronne, a suburb of Rouen. Later, it is said, these machines formed the basis of the Calais lace industry.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:11 am 
Willfinder General

Welcome to the site, Jack

I am unfamiliar with John Leaver the lace-maker, so thank you for your post and the information you provided.

As can be seen from the 1881 surname distribution list (http://www.nationaltrustnames.org.uk/Ma ... &type=name ), the surname Leaver (and its variations), was most prominent in Lancashire (Bolton and Burnley area), so it would be interesting to trace John Leaver’s lineage to see if it ties into one of the Lancashire families.

Do you know if there is a Lancashire connection?

Coincidentally, I was born at King's Mill Hospital in Sutton-In-Ashfield.
Edit: and we lived at 2 The Villas, Eakring Road, Mansfield and 9 Guildford Ave., Mansfield Woodhouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:02 am 

Thanks for the welcome, good to be here.

Wow, that is a coincidence. Shame we haven't found a connection with the Olds. As far as I know there's no known connection - yet! I can't help but think there is one though, given how unusual the name is and that they are both in the lace trade.

My husband's ancestors go back to Henrie LEEVERS born about 1599 in Greasley. He has 3 children that I know of: Elizabeth, Mary and Henry, all born in Greasley, Notts. Greasley was a big centre of the name spelt LEEVERS in any case in the 1600 and 1700s.

I've two trees on TribalPages if you want to take a look:
http://www.jack63kids.tribalpages.com - has my family tree; though some of the connections are 'speculative' about the connections;
http://www.leeverslace.tribalpages.com - which is John LEAVER/S - LEVER/S tree, to the best of my knowledge.
Both are open to corrections.

How far back have you gone with your Lancs folks? Have you any idea where they came from before these shores? We suspect my husband's lot came from either France (Huguenots) or possibly Dutch. The first thought comes from family folk lore - and we all know how reliable that can be; the second from other researchers who think they recognise the name. Given that the earliest one we know of is Henrie, I'm rather liking the French connection. There is also a known connection with the French lace trade, where John LEAVER ends his days.

Let me know any thoughts,
Jack
Jackie Leevers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:26 am 
Willfinder General

HI Jackie,

My family trees can be seen here:

James Leaver http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/paf ... /index.htm
John Leaver http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/paf ... /index.htm

As you can see, I have gone back as far as James Leaver (1710-1755). I have more information that suggests the family came from Cliviger (about 4 miles from Briercliffe), but I’m not certain, so I haven’t added the info to my tree. Before this, I presume the family probably came from the Little Lever area of Bolton, but this is speculation at this point.

I will look at your tree tomorrow morning. Its my bedtime now :D