Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:21 pm 

Hi,

This is my first visit to your forum and I wanted to tell you about my family links to Burnley. I have already done quite a lot of research and am happy to help anyone with shared interests. If anyone can help me, I would be over the moon.

James CRUMMETT (1851-1938) and Annie SHACKLETON (1854-1925) were my 2 x gt grandparents and lived at 40 Bridge Street, Burnley. James wasn't from Burnley but was born in Attleborough, Norfolk. He moved to Burnley with his parents, William CRUMMETT and Eliza PAGE and in 1871 married Annie who was a local girl. James, Annie, William and Eliza are all buried in Burnley Cemetery.

Samuel John OSBORNE (1865-1923) and Rebecca SINGLETON (1865-1945) are also my 2 gt grandparents and lived at 47 Hargher Street, Burnley. Samuel John was born in Truro, Cornwall but lived most of his life in Burnley were he was first a coal miner and then around 1900 he set up his own coal dealing business. He was also involved in local politics being a prominent member of the Social Democratic Federation who had a brief relationship with the Labour Party. They disaffiliated at the beginning of the 20th Centry and whilst the Labour Party flourished, the SDF rapidly declined. I understand Samuel and Rebecca's granddaughter was the Mayoress of Burnley 1980/81 (their eldest daughter Elizabeth Ann married Fred Catlow and their daughter, Lily Catlow became Mrs Hudson in 1936 and it was Councillor and Mrs John Hudson who were the Mayor and Mayoress in 1980/81).

I have followed these families with certificates and the census (although James Crummett seems to have avoided the 1911 census totally), and am hoping for more information now to flesh out my family tree. I have been looking for a photograph of the property at 40 Bridge Street for a while and whilst I have found some general views of Bridge Street, I am still hoping to find one with number 40 on it. I have photographs of both Annie Shackleton and Samuel John Osborne as they both appeared in the local newspapers but I am still searching for photographs of James Crummett and Rebecca Singleton. I have some fairly recent photographs of Hargher Street, the houses on which were boarded up (maybe they have gone altogether now) but it would be interesting to know what the street looked like in the early part of the 20th century.

Thank you for reading.

Denise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:30 pm 
Willfinder General

Hi Denise, welcome to the forum!

I am related to Fred Catlow!! You can see his family tree here http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/paf ... 07.htm#545

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:20 am 
Mongrel

Hello Denise

there's good coverage of bridge St on Google Maps Streetview and you can get a good view of no 40.
The whole street looks in good shape.

Good luck with the hunt for older pictures

Charon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:59 pm 

Thanks for your replies.

Had a look at your tree, Leaver. My great grandmother was Eva Osborne who was a sister of Elizabeth Ann who married Fred Catlow.

Thanks Charon for pointing me in the direction of the Bridge Street pictures on Google. I am a bit confused now because it looks like there are two Bridge Streets in Burnley, one in BB11 and one in BB12. I have always thought my Crummetts lived in the BB11 Bridge Street (I don't know why) which is near the Charter Walk shopping centre and only a few properties have survived. The houses in Bridge Street, BB12 do look in good shape, is it possible they could have been the original houses which have been refurbished? Just had a look at the 1901 census - Class: RG13; Piece: 3862; Folio: 112; Page: 12 - Burnley, East Ward, St Peter, ED11. Would you know from this which one it would be?

Denise

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:53 pm 

Just found out that my Bridge Street is the one near the Charter Walk shopping centre and there's not much of it left.

Denise

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:10 pm 
Mongrel

Denise,

thanks for your thanks - I'm sorry I didn't really help! Google maps goes straight for the BB12 Bridge St, and I didn't realise there was another. A lesson to remember.

Charon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:30 pm 

No problem Charon. Appreciate you taking the time to reply. Just my luck that the Bridge Street I am looking for is the one which was half demolished when they redeveloped the town centre.

Debuse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:44 am 
Spider Lady

Welcome to the site Denise.
It's one of those things that happens to us all.

I think they call it improvement but I wouldn't necessarily agree that it always improves an area.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:09 am 

Hi Denise, Welcome to the forum. I have a Barretts Directory of Burnley and District dated 1914. I have found the following

Crummett Mrs. Annie, clothes dlr., 40 Bridge Street and 4 Howe Street, Burnley.

Bridge Street, 40 Crummett Mrs., clothes dealer

Howe Street, 4 Crummett Mrs. A

Interestingly I couldn't find any reference to James, you mention that you couldn't find him in 1911.

Osborne Samuel J., coal dlr., 47 Hargher Street, Burnley