Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:33 am 

Hi Everyone just joined the list as I'm just starting to trace my Britcliffe line. As I've just found out that the name stems from the town of Briercliffe I was hoping to find out a bit more about it. My Britcliffes were in Smallbridge Rochdale from around 1826 onwards and them seem to dissappear, which i'm trying to investigate at the moment. My GGrandmother was Mary Britcliffe whose parents were John Britcliffe and Hannah/Ann Hargreaves. Mary was living in Manchester from a very early age and was in and out of prison about 10 times before being arrested/charged in 1845 when she was sent here after being in Millbank prison for a while. Anyway I would love to know more about the history of the Britcliffe surname to add to the family history. Many thanks kind regards Dianna from Sydney

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:25 am 
Willfinder General

Hi Dianna, welcome to the forum!

I just did a search for the Britcliffe surname, and I came across this old post viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1849&p=15441&hilit=britcliffe#p15441

I will have another look tomorrow to see if I can find anything more.

What part of Sydney do you live? I lived and worked in the Western suburbs.... Parramatta and Riverstone. Anyhow, I always thought that there must have been a historical connection to East Lancashire because of place names like Pendle Hill.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:28 am 

Hi Lever thanks for your reply. That Robert Britcliffe was the one that was sent here to Tasmania I'm pretty sure as was Mary Britcliffe in 1846, I haven't made a connection between the two of them yet but time will tell, as I don't have all the details on Mary's father John yet Robert could be some sort of relative, it seems as though my group are the only ones in Rochdale. When I looked at the page you gave me there were about 4 other Britcliffe enquiries. I might just send them an email and see if there is any connection. I live in the Eastern Suburbs near Maroubra. Hope to find some more information, my next stop is the poor house around Manchester, and Rochdale for Mary's family. Many thanks Dianna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:21 pm 
Computer Whizz

Hi Dianna,
have you seen this site http://www.btinternet.com/~jim.britcliffe/pedigree.htm
Gloria

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:15 pm 

Hi Gloria thanks for your reply, yes thank you I have seen the site which is quite good but I couldn't email this Jim Britcliffe which was a shame we could have compared notes, but it must be an old site or he's changed his email. Thanks very much for your help though Dianna

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:29 am 
Computer Whizz

Every blue moon I receive an update from the site, cannot remember when the last one was, BUT, when I next do I will let you know if there is a contact address for you.
Gloria

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:39 pm 
Willfinder General

You could private message effilctirb - it’s his site. viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1849&p=15441&hilit=britcliffe#p15441

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:58 pm 

Hi Gloria thank you so much for that I've just sent off an email to Jim, hope he maybe able to offer some advice surely there can't be that many Britcliffes in Lancashire can there?? Thanks again Dianna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:12 am 

Hi Leaver thanks for that I've just thanked Gloria for your reply silly me I've sent an email off to Jim and look forward to his reply Many thanks for all the help from the list Dianna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:08 pm 

Did someone mention my name?

If I haven't replied to the e-mail mentioned above it's because I haven't received it. My correct email address is jim@britcliffe.net
If I can help anybody with their research I would be honoured. Truth is I get a steady stram of e-mails so it's highly likely that some slip through the net.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:50 am 

Hi Jim yes you did here your name mentioned and I have sent you an email direct to the address you kindly supplied the email is a bit lengthy sorry hope it's not too long. Will continue on today with some other inquiries re Britcliffes in Rochdale. Just had a thought about probate records for one Hargreaves Britcliffe will see what I can find (this will make sense to you when you read my email) Many thanks to everyone from a very wet and rainy Sydney. Kind regards Dianna