Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: advice/help needed.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:06 pm 

hello again,
my ancestors Robert and Jane Redman are at Grey Street. Burnley in 1911, they are both approx 57/58 yrs old, born approx 1854 and 1853 respectively. However, I cannot find records of their deaths. I would guess that they wouldn't have moved too far at that age and am puzzled as to why I can't find records. There is pretty good census data up to this point and then nothing. Is there anything else I can do to locate burials? Does anybody with local knowledge know what cemetery is likely the main candidate. Any ideas?
thanks
Rob

Post subject: Re: advice/help needed.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:17 pm 
Computer Whizz

No sign of them on Lancashire bmd's. Sorry.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:19 am 

I went to Burnley Cemetry and searched through burial records, found one gt. uncle that I was searching for, but there is no trace of the other being buried anywhere in the area although I know they didn't move out of the area. If you need to check the books at Burnley, book an appointment, the staff are very helpful.
There is also The Inghamite Church at Fence, the minister there actually helps!!! when you want too search,
hand of course Haggate is a popular place for people at the time your relatives may have been buried.

If they died after 1911 and lived at Grey St, (the area my lot were living close by at the same period), I traced my 'tribe's' progress in the electoral registers at Burnley libary. a long and boring job, but it gets results, Except of course my gt. uncle and wife who were there in 1930, and vanished after that???? :(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:03 pm 

Thank you, Hannah
I didn't realise there were electoral registers at Burnley Library - I suppose using them I could determine a possible year of death when one or both of them disappears off the list. I did this at Trafford local studies centre with my more recent relatives.
So would I be able to book an appointment at Burnley Cemetery too? Hope you find your Gt. Uncle too. Did you ever find any living relatives like cousins etc? I'm hoping I will, well, that's the best I could wish for.
Thanks so much for your help :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:28 am 

Hi again, I got some info. from Burnley Cemetry, they also checked the cremation records, don't forget that possibiity, I then cross checked the Burnley Express announcements for the dates around the deaths, this gave me next of kin etc.

I have given up on my great uncle, last recorded in 1931 when he would be in his mid sixties, the next year not at same address or anywhere close. Everyone on this site has tried to find his death record, if they can't find him, nob can :(
Let us know if you make progress, I have got the hunting bug again reading your details.

Yes I have now 12 second cousins scattered around the world and also BLACKPOOL!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:08 pm 

yeah, it's weird how they can just seemingly vanish into thin air! Just think, one day, at some distant point, every detail and document of history will probably be copied into the digital domain. Folk will be able to google their family tree - but will they have the same fun banging their heads off the wall like us lot do? thanks again for all your tips, Hannah:)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:45 am 
Spider Lady

I don't think it will be as much fun Rob. I got far more enjoyment before there was so much available online. Armchair researchers have no idea of the excitement of a discovery when you had to trawl through book after book or sit winding a Microfilm reader for hours on end just to find 1 family in 1 census or even the atmosphere of some of the older archive buildings. I remember hearing the 'whoops' of joy at a discovery....and also the odd 'whoop' from me of course.

These days you can get back to 1800 within an evening....unlike the months it took when I started.

I feel and sound old!

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:24 am 

I'm totally with you Mel (not about being old, of course!) :wink:
I'm only a recent researcher of the last few years, and I know of a very few people that did family history research in the past and they said how frustrating, expensive and so on it was, having to travel all over the country and visit local studies places. But also how rewarding.
The modern day armchair experience does indeed make it easier, but I'm finding that a potential trip over to Burnley again might just uncover that missing vital link, and there's also the thing about 'feeling' your family there while you are in the actual place they lived and worked, looking around and seeing the things they saw brings you a bit closer to understanding them all (for me it does).
As my friend at work always says 'if it's too easy, it probably ain't worth doing!'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:19 am 

Just another random thought from my random brain. Stonemasons should have records of the work they have done. An American firm helped me with a burial out there,but, would it work here :roll: not too sure about that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:32 am 

Funny, I was thinking about undertakers' records the other night. a lot of them are family business set ups that carry on for generations. I did wonder if anybody had explored these areas.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:39 am 
Spider Lady

I'd be interested to hear if you do go down that route Rob.

I think the Co-op are/were big in the north for funeral duties but would they have archives?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:32 pm 
Computer Whizz

Never thought of that one-----always something to learn isn't there?

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:04 pm 

AND another random thought! Colne library have books and books in the cellar of wills, I spent a long morning fighting with big heavy books when I was trying to find my missing gt. uncle. Got nowhere of course, but you may get lucky, ring to prepare them if you go.

The wills are apparently shared out between different libraries? :roll:Not that that thought helps.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:52 pm 
Spider Lady

Have you checked the obituaries in the newspaper?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:27 pm 

yeah, I've got to use the electoral roll method first to try and determine a possible date of death, followed by a visit to Burnley Cemetery then I would maybe consider undertakers as a last resort. There aren't too many undertakers, but it's interesting to ponder if they ever kept records. that would be a great source of info. I would hazard a guess that they either did, or do, keep an actual register. It seems the kind of business that would do that.