Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Skelton
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:14 pm 
Natural Geek

Dear all,

Returned in the early hours of this morning from a lovely weekend in London. How does this connect with Briercliffe...?

Well, on Saturday we went on a guided tour of the old, old part of Highgate Cemetery which I would highly recommend to anyone. Especially if they think they've seen an impressive graveyard before! This has it all...it reminds one of a ghost-town. Buildings and walkways and subways...but not a (living) person in sight. Oooh...

Anyway, I found a Skelton. Well, I glanced at a Skelton grave as I walked past. I've a Skelton connection on my tree. If memory serves (and it rarely does) she married either Joseph Kippax (1761-1851) or his father. I think it may have been his father. That was, I think, Robert Kippax. Gloria...?

Anyway (again), I was wondering how much we know about the Skeltons. I've always found it a very obscure name (and, indeed, can't even begin to trace 'my' Betty Skelton), but is it a common name elsewhere? If there was a link between this London Skelton and our Lancashire ones, that'd be pretty good.

Especially as, if one has a relative in said graveyard, then one can claim one of the coveted grave-owner's keys. Which means one doesn't have to go on a tour to explore this utterly amazing place!

Stephen

Post subject: Re: Skelton
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:50 pm 
Willfinder General

Surname distribution map http://gbnames.publicprofiler.org/Surnames.aspx

http://worldnames.publicprofiler.org/Main.aspx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:58 pm 

There is a Skelton st in Colne, have you tried the Colne registers, etc

Rex

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:34 pm 
Natural Geek

Rex,

I have checked them, yes. Never found a Betty Skelton, though. She married Robert Kippax in 1756 and had her last child with him in 1769, so a birthdate of 1720s/30s would be appropriate. Maybe she was married beforehand? I've not considered this yet.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:57 pm 

Nothing to do with the Skelton Link but have you read Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffezegger (author of the The Travellers Wife) a quirky book but with lots of info about Highgate Cemetery?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:49 am 
Natural Geek

Judi,

Indeed I have. It was one of the main incentives for going. On a previous (failed) visit to Highgate when we got to the gates only to find them locked, Miss Niffenegger herself was the volunteer who was working that day!

It's lovely to think that she still engages with something so close to her heart...