Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Boot Inn, Burnley
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:57 pm 
Willfinder General

History of Burnley's Boot Inn
Published Date: 14 January 2009
TO mark the beginning of the Christmas shopping season a popular event has been held, for a number of years, at the bandstand in St James's Street.

The evening is organised by the Markets and Town Centre Manager. This year it was held in mid-November.

The event drew large crowds, as it usually does, and after I had made my contribution (an interview on Radio Lancashire) I found myself looking around this part of the town centre. It is something I have done so often that it might be thought there is nothing more for me to learn about this part of town.

That evening, however, my attention was drawn to the former Yates's Wine Lodge which has been closed for some time.

The site of Yates's has a long and interesting history and I thought it might be possible to write about it in this column. The building we know today dates from 1911 and was designed as a pub, the Boot Inn, by Blackpool architect H. Thompson, who also designed the White Lion which stands on the other side of Parker Lane. However, the pictures which accompany this article are of the building Mr Thompson had to demolish before he could construct the structure with which we are familiar.

If you look at the two illustrations you will notice one is a close-up of the Boot Inn, whereas the other shows the same building as part of an interesting street scene. In the latter picture the Boot is in the building painted white just off the centre of the photo. It is difficult to date either of the images with precision, particularly the one which shows only the pub, but it is possible to give you estimates.

There are a number of clues in the street scene image. For example, the tall shops directly behind the Boot date from 1876. They were the work of Padiham architect Virgil Anderton and remain one of the most impressive rows of Victorian shops in Burnley. Notice also there are tram lines in St James's Street. They were first constructed in 1880 but the trams were not electrified until 1901 and, as there are no signs of electric cables or the columns which supported them, we know the picture dates from before 1901.

If you look closely you will see the track is reduced to single as it passes through the narrow stretch of St James's Street. In the earlier part of the 19th Century this section of the street took its name from the Prussian general, Blucher, who contributed to Wellington's great victory at Waterloo.

In the foreground, notice the track ceases to be single. The section of St James's Street at the bottom of Manchester Road used to serve as the Market Place and was much wider than the rest of the highway. The building left of centre was famous before it was demolished. The shop was occupied by Bob Munn, who was a chemist and acted as the town's Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages. Next door was Richard Webster's first Burnley pawn shop, but that was in Water Street whereas Munn's was in St James's Street.

The shops designed by Anderton postdate the Boot. This can be seen in a number of ways but the tall chimney is clearly one of them. The chimney stack was constructed out of brick, necessary as smoke from the fires at the Boot would have not been able to get away from St James' Street without it.

The image which shows only the Boot confirms that the building, though much altered, pre-dates its use as a pub. It was originally a small farmhouse with stables and a number of such properties were converted into pubs in the late 18th and early 19th Centuries when Burnley centre moved from the St Peter's area to what became St James's Street.
http://www.burnleyexpress.net/peek-into ... 4877089.jp

Post subject: Re: Boot Inn, Burnley
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:35 pm 
Willfinder General

Boot Inn
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Pho ... urnley.htm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:51 pm 

According to family hearsay my grandmother's family eventually ran their blacksmith business out of the Boot Inn yard (family name Pate) They originally started up near St Peter's- Dawson Square I think. Do you think this was likely?- the business collapsed either during the first world war or in the early 1920s. The 3 sons went to serve as blacksmiths in the army and one of my great aunts tried to keep it going.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:20 am 
Willfinder General

Barrett’s Directory of Burnley and District, 1893
Pate Mrs. Esther, 16 Adlington street
Pate Ethelbert, beerhouse, Cricketers' Arms, 53 Anne street
Pate Fielding, grocer, 1 Carr street
Pate James, tallow chandler's manager, 233 Padiham road
Pate John, mechanic, 90 Dall street
Pate John, mechanic, 4 Austin street
Pate John, grocer's assistant, 37 Hufling lane
Pate Lindley, farrier and horse shoer, Cobden street; h. 19 Briercliffe road
Pate Lord, postman, 27 Sackville street
Pate Mrs. Margaret, 23 Parker lane
Pate Robert (Exors. of), shoeing smiths, Boot yard
Pate Thomas, hairdresser, 3 and 5 Fleet street; h. 7 Hart street
Pate Whittaker, blacksmith (j.), 36 Hart street

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:40 am 
Computer Whizz

There used to be a blacksmith in a small yard which backed onto the river, opposite St Peters Church. It was run by Harry Collinson in the 60's/70's.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:11 pm 

Thanks the list of names from the trade directory contains several of my ancestors-Esther (Roberts widow), Lindley (Robert's brother i think), Whitaker (Roberts son). I assume the Boot Yard is literally the yard of the Boot Inn. Robert had died in 1886. Do you have access to any earlier directories?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:28 pm 
Willfinder General

Hi, yes, I have the "Directory of East Lancashire with Ramsbottom and neighborhood by P. Mannex & Co., 1869" and "Barrett’s Directory of Burnley and District, 1890".

Barrett’s Directory of Burnley and District, 1883
Pate Ehelbert, beerhouse, Cricketers' Arms, 53 Anne street
Pate Grace, shopkeeper and beerhouse, Baltic Fleet, 46 Briercliffe road
Pate Henry, shopkeeper, 6 Turf street
Pate James, collector, 141 Windsor terrace, Accrington road
Pate John, shopkeeper, 40 Heap street
Pate John, glass and china dealer, 3 Bridge street
Pate Lindley, blacksmith (j.), 2 Cuerden street
Pate Robert, shoeing smith, Parker lane, & shopkeeper, 56 Lindsay street
Pate Thomas (late Astin), hairdresser & perfumer, 3 & 5 Fleet street

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:53 pm 
Willfinder General

This is the only Pate I can find in the Mannex directory.

Directory of East Lancashire with Ramsbottom and neighborhood by P. Mannex & Co., 1869
Beer Houses
Pate Robert, Burnley lane

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:59 pm 

Thanks for all this information- Robert appears to have moved around alot. I'm pretty sure that must be him as Robert doesn't seem to have been used much as a christian name by other Pates. Does Beer Houses relate to his trade? or where he lived?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:02 pm 
Willfinder General

Beer Houses is the trade, but the name of the tavern is not listed, unless I missed his name (I will have another look). I will see what the 1890 directory has.

Edit: The tavern name is not mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:48 pm 
Willfinder General

JVG wrote:
According to family hearsay my grandmother's family eventually ran their blacksmith business out of the Boot Inn yard (family name Pate) They originally started up near St Peter's- Dawson Square I think. Do you think this was likely?- the business collapsed either during the first world war or in the early 1920s. The 3 sons went to serve as blacksmiths in the army and one of my great aunts tried to keep it going.

Burnley Express and Advertiser, 13th, September 1933
Octogenarian's Death
Link With Old Burnley Family
An old "Top o' t' Towner", and a member of a family which began business in Burnley as farriers and blacksmiths over a century ago, Mrs. Elizabeth Ann Starkie died early on Monday morning at the home of her nephew, Mr. J. Pate, 127, Barden-lane, Burnley. Mrs. Starkie, who celebrated her 86th birthday last June, had been in failing health for some time.
A daughter of the late Mr. Lindley Pate, Mrs Starkie was born in Dawson-square, near St. Peter's Church. Her father, who was widely known, carried on business as a farrier and blacksmith at premises where the Market Hotel now stands. He also had premises on the site of the present Market Hall. Later the business was transferred to the rear of the Boot Inn, and at a still laer period to Cobden-street, where Mrs. Starkie's nephew, Mr. J. Pate, continues the same occupation, thus providing a direct link with the founder of the concern.
Mrs. Starkie, whose husband, the late Mr. J.C. Starkie, predeceased her about 10 years ago, could relate many interesting happenings of the days when the life of Burnley centred in the neighbourhood around St. Peter's Church. After her marriage she lived for a long time in the Stoneyholme district, where she was very well known. She leaves no family.
the funeral takes place at Briercliffe to-day (Wednesday).
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1175&p=6149&hilit=pate#p6149

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:53 pm 

Magic- I haven't seen that one. Must ask Mum if she remembers that side of the family.Many thanks. Must shut down for the night. Hopefully on again tomorrow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:56 pm 
Willfinder General

Leaver wrote:
This is the only Pate I can find in the Mannex directory.

Directory of East Lancashire with Ramsbottom and neighborhood by P. Mannex & Co., 1869
Beer Houses
Pate Robert, Burnley lane

Does this grave relate to your family? Pate's at Burnley lane
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... 0Sykes.htm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:15 pm 

I've had a look at my tree- but the nearest in date is John born 1831- so I don't think there's a straight link. Thanks anyway

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:50 pm 

Hi, been reading these forums for a long time, very informative.
I spend a lot of my spare time researching, chatting about, walking over and metal detecting in Briercliffe and Cliviger. Not treasure hunting, just trying to put together little pieces of history, and saving interesting bits and bats from rotting away forever.
Now the point of this post is that I found a little token, its a bit corroded but perfectly readable. Its for 1 1/2 pennys, and its issued by E. Pate Cricketers arms Burnley. If this E Pate is one of your relatives, you are welcome to it, though from reading above not sure if he was one - different beer house possibly.

It does look a bit better in real life and would probably clean up a little better.

Thanks for the forum