Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:45 pm 
Willfinder General

Did you do anything for Remembrance Sunday?

I paid my respects at the Cenotaph memorial at Whitehall this morning.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... emony.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:55 pm 
Librarian

I saw you Kris in the crowd :wink:
My Grandson stayed with us last night so we watched it together on the telly this morning. He was really interested in all that was going on and he enjoyed the commentary as well. Think they can never be too young to learn about the brave men and women of this country and our allies, and honour their memory and say a silent thank you to them all. Bet it was a lovely feeling for you Kris, you were so lucky, I get quite emotional watching the march past, would love to have been there.
I buy my poppy and put it with the photo of my uncle who was killed in Korea in 1954 aged just 21.
I also take a poppy cross to Burnley cemetery for a friend of mine who cannot do it herself as she lives too far away, it is for her Father who was a prisoner of war at the hands of the Japanese, he suffered terribly, he was never the same man again.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:22 pm 
Willfinder General

So you saw me six or seven rows back? :shock: I arrived a little late this year and although I was close to the actual Cenotaph I was too far back to see very much. All the same, it was nice to stand by like minded people and the two minute silence was very moving.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:55 am 
Spider Lady

We were driving the M6 at the time. We were listening on BBC R4.

We called into Briercliffe while we were out to get photographs of the War Memorials with the new wreaths. I was a little disppointed at the bowling green memorial though as the wreaths were tied to the railings and not actually on the memorial.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:17 pm 
Genealogist in Waiting

At the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month (yesterday) I came back from the pool to our motorhome to look at the photos of the Briercliffe soldiers......courtesy of the Briercliffe Society's website. Here in Texas, 'Veteran's Day', altho' meaningful, isn't the same....no poppies and a focus, naturally, on U.S. conflicts, past and present.
I looked at the photos of my dad and my grandfather and Uncle Willie Mason...and all the others....and remembered.
Ten minutes out of my lucky and blessed day seems inadequate somehow to express my gratitude, but it was meaningful to me.
Thanks to the Briercliffe Society for that gift!
Thanks to all those brave men and women.

I miss you dad and gaga...and Uncle Willie.