Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Smith
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:57 pm 
Spider Lady

SMITH John, Pighole, Briercliffe p.Whalley Yeoman Aug 1836

Taken from a book at Rochdale that indexed Lancashire and Cheshire Wills, I think this should be available from the LRO at Preston.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject: Re: Smith
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:04 pm 
Spider Lady

SMITH Richard Lower Haggate Briercliffe Yeoman April 1826

Taken from a book at Rochdale that indexed Lancashire and Cheshire Wills, I think this should be available from the LRO at Preston.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:27 am 
Willfinder General

This is the last Will and Testament of me Henry Smith of 20 Cleaver Street, Burnley in the County of Lancashire made the Sixth day of February, 1920. I revoke all other wills made by me. I appoint my wife Jane Smith to be my Executives, and direct that my Funeral and
Testamentary Expenses and all my debts shall be paid as soon as conveniently maybe after my decease. I give unto my wife Jane Smith
all my real and personal estate whatsoever.
Henry Smith

In His Majesty's High Court of Justice. The Principal Probate Registry.
Be it known that Henry Smith of 20 Cleaver Street, Burnley in the County of Lancaster
died there on the 3rd day of April 1934
AND BE IT FURTHER KNOWN that at the date hereunder written the last Will and Testament

(a copy whereof is hereunder annexed) of the said deceased was proved and registered in the Principal Probate Registry of His Majesty's High Court of Justice and that Administration of all Estate which by law devolves to and vests in the personal representative of the said deceased was granted by the aforesaid Court to Jane Smith of 20 Cleaver Street aforesaid widow the relict aforesaid the sole executor named in the said will.

And it is hereby certified that a affidavit for Inland Revenue has been delivered wherein it is shown that the gross value of the said Estate in Great Britain
(exclusive of what that said deceased may have been possessed of or entitled to as a Trustee and not beneficially) amounts to £459-16-7
and that the said Affidavit bears a stamp of £2-10-0
Dated the 13th April 1934

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:28 am 
Willfinder General

Jane Lowe (1866-1943)
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... 0Smith.htm

Last Will and Testament:
In His Majesty’s High Court of Justice.
The Principal Probate Registry
Be it known that Jane Smith of 20 Cleaver Street Burnley in the County of Lancaster widow died thereon the 25th day of June 1943. And be it further known that the date hereunder written the last Will and testament (a copy whereof is hereunto annexed) of the said deceased was proved and registered in the principal Probate registry of His Majesty’s High Court of Justice and that administration of all the estate which by law devolves to and vests in the personal representatives of the said deceased was granted by the aforesaid Court to Thomas Smith of 20 Cleaver Street aforesaid assistant machinery inspector son of deceased one of the executor named in the said Will. Power removed to the other executor.
And it is hereby certified that a affidavit for Inland Revenue has been delivered wherein it is shown that the gross value of the said estate in Great Britain. (exclusive of what the said deceased my have been possessed of or entitled to as a trustee and not beneficially) amounts to £1179.15.7 and that the net value of the personal estate amounts to £1143.15.7 and it is further certified that it appears by a receipt signed by a Inland Revenue Officer on the said affidavit that £34.7.0 an account of estate duty and interest on such duty has been paid.
Dated the 24th day of July 1943

This is the last will and testament of me Jane Smith of 20 Cleaver Street Burnley in the County of Lancaster widow I hereby revoke all former wills and other testamentary dispositions at any time heretofore made by me and declare this to be my last will and testament I appoint my sons Thomas Smith and Albert Smith (hereinafter called "my trustees") to be the executors and trustees of this my will I give my leasehold dwellinghouse known as number 20 Cleaver Street Burnley unto my trustees upon trust to allow my sons Thomas Smith to reside therein for so long as he shall think fit subject to him paying the going rent and all outgoings in respect thereof and keeping the property in repair and observing and performing the covenants and conditions affecting the property and also subject to him allowing my Grandson Wilfred Gordon Baxter to reside with him for so long as he shall desire or until his marriage provided reside in the said dwellinghouse or ceasing to allow my said Grandson Wilfred Gordon Baxter to reside therein then and in either of sue of such sale calling such cases I direct that such dwellinghouse shall fall whatsoever and whosesoever situate except the said dwellinghouse unto my trustee upon trust to sell call in and convert into money such part thereof as shall not consist of money and with and out of my ready money and the money to be produced by such sale calling in and conversion to pay my funeral and testamentary expenses and debts and to stand possessed of the residue of such money (hereinafter called my residuary estate) upon trust to divide the same into eight equal parts or shares and to pay one of the such equal parts or shares to each of my children Wilfred Smith, Doris Hannah Baxter, Elizabeth Ann Ashton, Cecil Low Smith, Mary Taylor and the said Thomas Smith and Albert Smith for their own respective uses absolutely and as to the last of such equal parts or shares I direct my trustees to divided the same equally between my said grandson Wilfred Gordon Baxter and my granddaughter Elizabeth Winterbottom the children of my said daughter Doris Hannah Baxter for their own respective uses absolutely and I declare that if any of my said children or grandchildren shall died in my life time leaving a child or children who shall survive me and attain the age of 21 years then and in any such case such child or children shall take and if more then one equally between them the share which his her or their parent would have taken if such parent had survived me and I further declare that my trustees may postpone the sale calling in and conversion of any part of my estate for so long as they shall in their uncontrolled discretion think fit. In witness thereof I hereunto set my hand to this my will this eleventh day of February One Thousand Nine Hundred and Thirty Seven.

Post subject: Re: Smith
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:20 am 
Spider Lady

1895 SMITH Fanny Thornber of Hill End near Burnley spinster died 11 November 1894 Administration London to Thomas Thornber Smith cotton manufacturer Effects £17.

1905 SMITH Thomas Thornber of Hill End near Burnley cotton-manufacturer died 4 March 1905 Administration Lancaster 5 June to William Stevenson Smith cotton-manufacturer Effects £13449 13s. 8d. Resworn £14053 3s. 8d.