Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:24 am 
Willfinder General

will extract
1951 – LEAVER Noel Harry of Rowan Cottage Harriet Street Burnley died 24 July 1951 Probate London 13 September to Jane Leaver widow. Effects £3,873 6s. 11d.

Post subject: Noel Harry Leaver
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:30 pm 
Willfinder General

In His Majesty’s High Court of Justice.
The principal Probate Registry
BE IT KNOWN that Noel Harry Leaver of Rowan Cottage Harriet Street, Burnley, Lancashire, formerly of 6 Rossendale Avenue, Burnley, aforesaid, died on the 24th day of July 1951, at Rowan Cottage aforesaid.
AND BE IT FURTHER KNOWN that at the date hereunder written the last Will and Testament
(a copy whereof is hereunto annexed) of the said deceased was proved and registered in the Principal Probate of His Majesty’s High Court of Justice and that Administration of all the Estate which by law devolves to and vests in the personal representative of the said deceased was granted by the aforesaid Court to
Jane Leaver of Rowan Cottage aforesaid, widow the relict of deceased the sole Executrix named in the said will
And it is hereby certified that the Affidavit for Inland Revenue has been delivered wherein it is shown that the gross value of the said Estate in Great Britain
(exclusive of what the said deceased may have been possessed of or entitled to as a Trustee and not beneficially) amounts to £3,873. 6s. 11d.
And that the net value of the estate amounts to £3,718. 4s. 5d.
And it is further certified that it appears by a Receipt signed by an Inland Revenue Officer on the Affidavit that £74. 11s. 0d. on account of Estate duty and interest on such have been paid.
Dated the 13th day of September 1951
Extracted by Donald Race and Newton, Burnley

This is the last Will and Testament of me NOEL HARRY LEAVER of 6 Rossendale Avenue, Burnley in the County of Lancaster, Water Colour Artist
1. I HEREBY REVOKE all former wills made by me and declare this to be my last Will and Testament
2. I GIVE DEVISE AND BEQUEATH all my real and personal Estate whatsoever and wheresoever unto my wife Jane Leaver absolutely and I APPOINT her sole Executrix of this my Will
IN WITNESS whereof I have hereunto set my hand this 24th day of December, one thousand nine hundred and thirty five
SIGNED by the said Noel Harry Leaver the testator as and for his last Will and Testament in the presence of us present at the same time who at his request in his presence and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed out names as witness

Noel H Leaver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:45 pm 
Spider Lady

There is a picture of Noel Harry Leaver on the main website at http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Pho ... Leaver.htm

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Last edited by Mel on Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:59 am 
Spider Lady

You're famous Kris.
http://dorseyland.blogsome.com/2007/11/27/burnley-lads-cousin-noel-leaver/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:30 am 
Willfinder General

Wow.

Noel Harry Leaver can be seen on the tree here - http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/paf ... 09.htm#765

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:41 am 
Sage of Simonstone

Ooh. think you should start charging people for connecting up their links for them Kris. (Excepting those you've been to family weddings with!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:16 pm 
Willfinder General

Noel Harry Leaver is buried at Newchurch in Pendle

http://briercliffesociety.co.uk/Grave%2 ... eaver2.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:29 pm 
Willfinder General

1984 – LEAVER Jane of Wheatley Court Fence near Burnley died 19 April 1984. Probate Liverpool, 3 August. £44,873

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:53 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

Wonder what that sort of money equates to in current day terms?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:14 pm 

Hi Portia, there's a site that measures the purchasing power of the British pound from 1264 to 2006, using the Retail Price Index.

http://measuringworth.com/calculators/ppoweruk/

According to these calculations, 44,873 pounds in 1984 would have a value of 99,680.14 pounds in 2006.

Joan

Post subject: measuring worth
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:30 am 
Sage of Simonstone

Thanks Joan. I've just had a really fascinating 15 minutes, looking at what some of my relatives left. At the time it seemed quite modest but now I've seen it's current worth I'm wondering where the money went!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:04 am 
Photographer

Have you looked under the mattress or the floorboards. Sykers are canny folk you know Portia. :lol:

David

Post subject: Noel Harry Leaver
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:26 pm 
Willfinder General

Leaver wrote:
In His Majesty’s High Court of Justice.
The principal Probate Registry
BE IT KNOWN that Noel Harry Leaver of Rowan Cottage Harriet Street, Burnley, Lancashire, formerly of 6 Rossendale Avenue, Burnley, aforesaid, died on the 24th day of July 1951, at Rowan Cottage aforesaid.
AND BE IT FURTHER KNOWN that at the date hereunder written the last Will and Testament
(a copy whereof is hereunto annexed) of the said deceased was proved and registered in the Principal Probate of His Majesty’s High Court of Justice and that Administration of all the Estate which by law devolves to and vests in the personal representative of the said deceased was granted by the aforesaid Court to
Jane Leaver of Rowan Cottage aforesaid, widow the relict of deceased the sole Executrix named in the said will
And it is hereby certified that the Affidavit for Inland Revenue has been delivered wherein it is shown that the gross value of the said Estate in Great Britain
(exclusive of what the said deceased may have been possessed of or entitled to as a Trustee and not beneficially) amounts to £3,873. 6s. 11d.
And that the net value of the estate amounts to £3,718. 4s. 5d.
And it is further certified that it appears by a Receipt signed by an Inland Revenue Officer on the Affidavit that £74. 11s. 0d. on account of Estate duty and interest on such have been paid.
Dated the 13th day of September 1951
Extracted by Donald Race and Newton, Burnley

This is the last Will and Testament of me NOEL HARRY LEAVER of 6 Rossendale Avenue, Burnley in the County of Lancaster, Water Colour Artist
1. I HEREBY REVOKE all former wills made by me and declare this to be my last Will and Testament
2. I GIVE DEVISE AND BEQUEATH all my real and personal Estate whatsoever and wheresoever unto my wife Jane Leaver absolutely and I APPOINT her sole Executrix of this my Will
IN WITNESS whereof I have hereunto set my hand this 24th day of December, one thousand nine hundred and thirty five
SIGNED by the said Noel Harry Leaver the testator as and for his last Will and Testament in the presence of us present at the same time who at his request in his presence and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed out names as witness

Noel H Leaver

Burnley Express, July 25, 1951
DEATH OF MR. NOEL H. LEAVER
AN ARTIST WHO WON WORLD RENOWN
Recognised as one of the leading British water colourists of the day, whose pictures have earned him fame in all parts of the world, Mr. Noel H. Leaver, A.R.C.A., of Rowan Cottage, Harriet-street, Burnley, died yesterday morning at the age of 62.
He had not been in the best of health for some months, and earlier this year had been in hospital for treatment.
Mr. Leaver was perhaps the greatest water colourist in architectural studies among British artists, and his paintings of cathedrals and churches were, like his still-life studies and landscapes, widely sought after by art lovers everywhere. He had in fact painted pictures of almost all the better-known cathedrals in the country.
His deep love for nature was reflected in his beautiful landscapes, which are masterpieces of their medium. As for his still-life studies, they, too, demonstrate his remarkable eye for colour and design.
Mr. Leaver had a fine feeling for old buildings and a rare skill in drawing. As a colourist he had learnt something from the old masters, though he was no slavish disciple. His works were always strong enough to be placed in juxtaposition to the paintings of his great forerunners- like Girtin, Turner, Varley and Prout – without running the risk of compromise to his disadvantage.
IN BIG DEMAND
The news of the quality of Mr. Leaver’s work spread abroad very quickly, and he was kept busy meeting the demands of art lovers all over the country. His works quickly found their way into many well-known private and public collections both abroad and at home, such as Towneley Art Gallery, where there are several of his fine pictures.
One prominent collector had no fewer than 30 examples of his work, and among others who had acquired some were Ronald Colman, the film star.
Mr. Leaver had no use for stunts in painting, his aim being to interpret a subject truthfully and to emphasise this parts which give character and beauty to the composition. He made a point of following the tradition of British water colourists, though he never copied them. He once said: “It is for us moderns to make use of the fuller and more varied palette of the present day by getting more colour and life into our drawings.”
VERSATILITY
While Mr. Leaver’s reputation was chiefly acquired by his studies of architecture, both in its mass and detail, his versatility was remarkable, and the subtlety and vitality noticeable in all his other work helped to build that world-wide reputation which he had soon made for himself.
Mr. Leaver was a son of Mr. Peter Leaver, who for 34 years was headmaster of St. James’s Day School, and who was a member of an old Worsthorne family and had taught at Brierfield and Austwick, in Yorkshire, before coming to Burnley. The late Mr. Noel Leaver was born at Austwick, and was in his boyhood when the family came to Burnley.
He married, in 1924, Miss Jane Simpson, a teacher at the Burnley High School, and the youngest daughter of Mr. T. Simpson, of Colne-road.
BRILLIANT PROGRESS
Mr. Leaver was training in the Burnley Art School at the Mechanics Institute for four years. At 16, he won a National Scholarship and Local Exhibition, both tenable for three years at the Royal College of Art, London.
He proceeded to South Kensington and gained the Full Associateship and “School’s Associateship in Design.”
Mr. Leaver was also awarded the travelling studentship of the R.C.A. for the first place in the college list, and went to Italy for six months and studied architecture and decoration.
On returning to England, he won the Royal Institute of British Architects Travelling Studentship and re-visited Italy, spending his time chiefly in the study of decorative colour subjects. While in Italy he was greatly influenced by the work of the early thirteenth century schools – Fra Angelico and Botticello at the monastery of San Marco in Florence, and also of Turner, greatest of British Water colourists.
A PERSONALITY IN ART
Then after years of serious study and practice, Mr. Leaver emerged as a personality in art. To a thorough academical training at South Kensington he owed the development of remarkable powers of decorative draughtsmanship, and the purity and simplicity of his delightful colouring, to the early Italian masters whom he had studied at first hand.
His student days were a series of brilliant triumphs during which he carried all available honours before him, even to the distinction of a full associateship of the Royal College of Art at 20.
A democrat in ideas, his desire always was to make available to the people beautiful paintings at a modest figure, believing that the “man in the street,” had as much right to enjoy the beauties of nature as his more fortunate fellows.
Mr. Leaver, in his early days, secured distinction coveted by all artists – to have a picture accepted at the Royal Academy. The picture was a water colour of Siena Cathedral.
His fame was such that exhibitions which he held in various centres throughout these islands attracted great interest. He held many exhibitions over the years in Burnley, where his work is very well-known through his pictures at Towneley.
For many years he had a special commission from the Canadian Pacific Railway for drawings.
Mr. Leaver was the president of the Burnley Artists Society of which he was largely instrumental in founding.
He is survived by his widow and by two brothers, Captain Grey Leaver, M.B.E. (a former Conservative agent for Burnley, who is connected with the firm of Fryer and Co., Victory Works, Nelson, and now lives at Southport), and Mr. Bertram Leaver, headmaster of the senior school at Malton, Yorkshire, and by a sister, Mrs. Moffett, wife of Mr. Harold Moffett, former headmaster of Abel-street School, Burnley.
At Mr. Leaver’s own wish, he will be buried at Newchurch-in-Pendle, in the countryside he loved so well. The funeral will be at 11-30 a.m. on Friday following a service at St. Matthew’s Church, Burnley at 10-30 a.m.
GRIEVOUS LOSS
Mr. Harold Grahame Holt, the secretary of the Burnley Artists Society, said to a staff reporter last night: “The Artists Society has sustained a grievous loss by the death of Mr. Leaver. No one could appreciate more than did the officials and committee the magnificent encouragement which he gave to the members of the society. Week after week he came to give us the benefit of his long and varied experience. He was ever ready and willing to offer his help and guidance to local talent.
“We are proud of the credit he brought to Burnley by his great artistic distinction.
“But we will remember nothing more appreciatively than his friendship for all. Despite his eminence in the world of art, he retained that real sincerity of manner which endeared him to all who knew him. He was a gentleman in the true sense of the word. We shall miss him greatly.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:09 pm 
Spider Lady

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Noel-Leaver-scene-of-Phil-PA-on-unused-blotter_W0QQitemZ150256597112QQihZ005QQcategoryZ4089QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122

Bidding closes 15th June but item is in the US.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:25 pm 
Spider Lady

Available on Amazon Noel H. Leaver, ARCA, 1889-1951

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Noel-H-Leaver-A ... 557&sr=8-1