Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:56 am 
Spider Lady

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-la ... e-16066680

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:01 am 
Computer Whizz

You're fast off the mark this morning Mel. I heard about this earlier on the local news.
They said it had been deliberately buried, which sounds feasible, the locals would probably have done that after the trails.
What puzzles me is the comment in the news report you added that there was a 19c kitchen range in there. Perhaps a slip of the pen.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:26 pm 

There was indeed a very battered late-looking victorian range shown in the national newspaper I take - it looked as if it was soley responsible for "holding up" - or do I mean "propping up" - the rest of the building remnants. Very much doubt it'll be more than a one-day wonder.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:11 pm 
Spider Lady

This is the Burnley Express article for the same...it also says 19th century range
http://www.burnleyexpress.net/news/loca ... _1_4040684

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:05 am 
Computer Whizz

So it hadn't been buried after the witches trials then. Bit spooky about the walled up room with the cat in the wall.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:43 pm 

This story doesn't put the archaeologist, or local historians involved, in a good light I'm afraid.

The hysteria surrounding the United Utilities press release has filterted through 'ghosthunter' Entwistle to Roger Frost who has it that this could be Malkin Tower because there are certain herbs growing in the area!

The truth is much more mundane. This is Lower farm on the former Robinson's Upperhouse estate in Wheatley Booth. In 1902 the building was demolished by Mr Newton, acting for the Nelson Water Authority, to a level of 2m and the ruin was then filled with earth.

The fact that the skeleton of a cat was found in the wall of a room that had 'been sealed off' provided the crux of the sensationalistic story carried in the media. In fact, the placing of cats in the fabric of buildings of this period was a common practice and no more important to the householders of the time than was the recent practice of donkey-stoning the front door step. lso, the type of brick used to fill in the doorway of the 'sealed' room are 19th century and there are many reasons why dwellings such as this were divided - from splitting hereditary property to dividing a property into multi-occupation.

The building, then, would have been erected in the later 17th century and occupied until the end of the 19th century. The date of the building means that it could not possibly have been Malkin Tower - furthermore, one cat does not a Witches' Coven make!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:09 pm 
Computer Whizz

Very interesting Sylvia. Sadly, I think it has all been a bit of sensationalism.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:37 am 
Spider Lady

Very interesting - we all know the media can put a spin on stories.