Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: great grand father
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:50 am 

hi i new been trying to find any info on my descendents far as i get is great grand father amos bannister married to elizabeth booth .got no birth days to go by so i am at a lost every other place i looked get my grand father with my great grand parents listed with state born but no date .my ggd amos was born only in england and ggm elizabeth is in maryland.if any one knows more would love to know my family not even have my father to say he die when i was two years of age .

Post subject: Re: great grand father
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:28 pm 
Computer Whizz

"great grand father amos bannister married to elizabeth booth"
Hi James,
do you have any sort of date for this marriage, or where it occured? also, what were the names of your father and grandfather?
Oh, and where were your gt grandparents listed as state born?

Gloria

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:40 pm 
Computer Whizz

There is a marriage on familysearch site of Amos to Lillie or Elizabeth Booth in Maryland about 1882. It states Amos born England 1860. There is no source of info for this.
Is this the only connection you have with Amos to England? or do you have something more specific to link him with the Briercliffe/Burnley area of Lancashire?
Sorry, this sounds like 20 questions--ha ha.
Gloria

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:00 am 

thanks gloria for looking into it my quest ,my grand father was sylvester paul james bannister .he die in high points guilfort n.c. 1936 ,as for date of marriage for my great grand parents i don't know .only info i got is on my grand father death certifecate and it just gives were they were born .how ever beside my great grand father is the date dec 5 1841 and dec 18 1844 . this was done after it was made with pin and look the date up in my look up of my gg father .not sure if it has any ties to briercliffe or any just wanting to find my family .
thanks james

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:32 pm 

Are you absolutely certain that the P in Sylvesters name was for Paul and not Pearson? I think a good starting point would be to get the marriage certificate to Ethel.

Sylvester P J Bannister died 15th December, 1936 and his birth date was given as 17th September, 1896. Parents Amos Bannister born England and Elizabeth Booth born Maryland.
I suspect his year of birth has been typed incorrectly and should have been 1886. The handwriting across it that shows “Cert 12-6-41 and 12-18-44 may be the dates that extra certificates were supplied for whatever reason.

He can be found on the 1920 census as S P J Bannister in the military aged 33 and on the 1930 census as Sylvester Bannister aged 43. On the 1900 and 1910 census with his parents he appears to be known as Pearson.

Amos Bannister was Naturalised on 16th October 1880 in New York City and gave his birthdate as 3rd October, 1859. Date of arrival was 29th December, 1872.
New York Passenger lists show his arrival entry date as 30th December, 1872 on the City of New York and his ethnicity as “Irish” but I would take this with a pinch of salt after looking at the rest of the entries.
Amos Bannister, Male 36, Miner
Cath Bannister, Female, Wife 47
Amos Bannister, Female, 11
Ada Bannister, Male, 6

An Amos Bannister married a Catherine PEARSON at Manchester Cathedral on the 19th December, 1854.

There is a possible baptism of Amos Bannister at Manchester Cathedral on 30th October, 1859 with parents Amos and Catherine Bannister and there is an Ada Bannister with the same parents baptised 7th January, 1866 at Manchester Cathedral.

On the US census Amos states that his father was born in England and his mother in New York. This information matches the 1861 and 1871 census for Amos, Catherine and family in England. Catherine being listed as being born America in 1861 and New York in 1871.

Do you have access to the English census or would you like me to type it up?

Regards,
Mo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:21 am 

i would like you to type it up would be greatfull mo.pearson is name i seen when i was looking my self and think i was getting some where .i got a copy of his death certifacate so think you are on to some thing not been able to check on military background was not sure if he had been in.thank you for looking it looking like i might find some family history was not looking good .
thanks james

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:31 am 

12 Coppocks Buildings, Manchester
Amos Banister, Head, Married, 25, Outdoor Labourer, born Lancashire Stretford
Catherine Banister, Wife, Married, 38, born America
Lucy Ann Banister, Daughter, 5. Scholar, born Lancashire Manchester
Amos Banister, Son, 1, born Lancashire Manchester
Alfred P Banister, Step Son, 15, Spindle Fettler, born Manchester
33 Mather Street, Manchester
Amos Bannister, Head, Married, 55 (as written!!), Gas pipe layer, Born Lancashire Stretford
Catherine Bannister, Wife, Married, 47, Born U.S.A. New York
Lucy Ann Bannister, Daughter, Unmarried, 15, Winder at Mill, born Lancashire Manchester
Amos Bannister, Son, 11, Scholar, born Lancashire Manchester
Ada Bannister, Daughter, 5, Scholar, born Lancashire Manchester