Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:40 am 
Spider Lady

Burnley Express

Wednesday 2 July 1890

Shocking Neglect of a Child at Haggate
Exemplary Sentence.

At the Burnley County Police Court, on Monday, before J. Dugdale, Esq., (in the chair), and other magistrates, Thomas Emmett, stone mason, Back Halifax-road, Haggate, was summoned at the instance of Inspector Cherer, of the R.S.P.C.C., for wilfully neglecting his three children in a manner likely to cause injury to their health between April 24th and June 25th. It was stated on behalf of the society said that the children were aged respectively twelve, eight, an four. It appeared that the deceased's wife died about three months ago. Inspector Cherer, from information received, went to the house on June 17th, but found no one at home. The house consisted of two rooms, one upstairs and one downstairs. There was not a single article of furniture upstairs, and in the room downstairs there was a dirty mattress, a filthy old flock bed, the remains of an old flannel petticoat, a dirty old quilt, a broken three-legged table, and three partly broken chairs. In a cupboard he found a small portion of stale loaf, two ounces of treacle, and a little salt. There was no sign of any other food; neither was there any fire in the grate. In a little coal-house there were some dirty rags, and a pail filled with cinders and filthy matter. In the afternoon the Inspector found the two younger children wandering around the streets. They were in a dirty, filthy condition, both as regarded personal cleanliness, and the state of their clothing. On June 24th the Inspector again went to the house, and found the place apparently in a worse state than before. That morning (Monday) he went a thrid time, and found the three children only partially dressed huddled together on the mattress. The only food in the place was a loaf of mildewed bread, and there was no fire in the grate. The defendant was a good workman and was able to earn 6s. per day. But he was in the habit of putting in only two or three day's work a week, and devoting the rest of his time to drinking. The children had, of course, come under the notice of the school attendance officer, but it appeared that some of the scholars had really refused to sit with them owing to their filthy condition. The defendant had been in the habit of taking the eldest child with him, and keeping him outside the public houses until closing time.
Inspector Cherer, in his evidence, bore out this statement. -George Law, stone-mason, Haggate, said the defendant formerly worked for him, but he was obliged to discharge the man because he stopped away from his work. He might have been away drinking. -Thomas Bannister, School Board Inspector, Briercliffe, said the children in question had attended the school very irregularly, and he had received complaints from the teachers as to their condition. -Ellen Sutcliffe, Haggate, sister of the defendant, said her brother did not work regularly because he went off drinking. She had sometimes given the children two meals a day. -P.C. Pryor said the defendant was a man of drunken habits. He agreed with the previous witness as to the neglected condition of the children. He had frequently seen them out in the streets as late as eleven o'clock at night.
The Chairman said the magistrates considered the case to be a very bad one indeed. The defendant could have provided for the children if he had cared, and the Bench were determined to do their best to put a stop to this dreadful neglect of children. The defendant would be committed to Preston gaol for two months' hard labour in each case - six months in all.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:07 pm 
Computer Whizz

How sad.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:56 pm 
Spider Lady

I hadn't realised that the RSPCC was around so long ago but also, how bad must it have been for their involvement? From books I have read and programs I have watched, I have this impression that living conditions were generally not much better than those described.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:17 am 
Sage of Simonstone

Doesn't mention what happened to the children when he went to prison tho . . .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:40 am 
Spider Lady

He' be out by the 1891 census. I wonder if they were back living with him then?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:48 am 
Spider Lady

There is a possibility that this is him and his children in 1891

RG12/3371 Folio:147 Page:14
12, Haggate, Briercliffe With Extwistle, Cotton Row
LEAVER, Mary Head Single F 47 Weaver Cotton Briercliffe with Extwistle Lancashire
EMMOTT, Joseph Brother Single M 21 Cotton Beamer Briercliffe with Extwistle Lancashire
EMMOTT, Alice Ann Niece Single F 9 Scholar Briercliffe with Extwistle Lancashire
EMMOTT, Thomas Brother Widower M 36 Stone Mason Briercliffe with Extwistle Lancashire
EMMOTT, James Son Single M 13 Scholar Briercliffe with Extwistle Lancashire
EMMOTT, Mary Ellen Daughter Single F 8 Scholar Nelson Lancashire
EMMOTT, Annie Daughter Single F 5 Scholar Briercliffe with Extwistle Lancashire

GREENWOOD, Moses Brother In Law Widower M 33 Weaver Cotton Briercliffe with Extwistle Lancashire
GREENWOOD, Margaret Ann Daughter Single F 6 Scholar Briercliffe with Extwistle Lancashire
GREENWOOD, Ellen Ada Daughter Single F 5 Scholar Briercliffe with Extwistle Lancashire
GREENWOOD, John Thos Son Single M 3 Briercliffe with Extwistle Lancashire

And 1881?

RG11/4148 Folio:151 Page:35
1, Foulridge St, Burnley
EMMETT, Thomas Head Married M 26 Stone Mason Briercliffe Lancashire
EMMETT, Elizabeth Wife Married F 26 Cotton Weaver Burnley Lancashire
EMMETT, James Son Single M 3 Briercliffe Lancashire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:02 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

Thought I'd put this here for the benefit of anyone doing Leavers/ Emmetts.

As you might expect, the mention of a Leaver in here grabbed my interest and I did remember that we had a Leaver who married an Emmett/Emmott.
However that turned out to be Betty Leaver in 1849.
I can find Mary Emmett on all the censuses but never a marriage between a Mary Emmett and a Leaver. So I guess when she says she was single in 1891 she really did mean single as oppposed to widowed.
Absolutely no idea why she called herself Leaver on the 1891 census, unless she'd lived with one for a while and taken his name. (The Leavers did seem to do a fair bit of oer t 'brush stuff!)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:36 pm 

The mention of a Mary Leaver attracted me, although this one is too young - I'm still looking for either the Mary Leaver who was the mother of Tabitha, b 1841, who in 1860 married into the Burrows, or her mother, apparently also a Mary Lever, it seems... b in the early 1800s.The earlier Mary seems to have had other children - varied Leaver and Jackson surnames, and some giving Jackson as father's name - and there's a strong "Tabitha" thread going through the generations I've been wondering if the Jackson connection I think I've also got for her may connect with Emmott/Emmett ... okay, so I know everyone in the area really is related to everyone else, but I can't find the end of the right thread yet.