Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Burrows
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:31 pm 

I would be interested to hear from anyone researching the surname of Burrows. Best wishes Jean.

Post subject: Re: Burrows
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:31 pm 
Computer Whizz

Sorry not me.
Gloria

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:18 pm 

Hello Jean, I do have Burrows in my family. The earliest I have found is James Burrows of Little Marsden who I believe married Mary Thornton in 1744. I think they had seven children, Ellen, James, Betty, Peggy, Nancy, Sally and Nelly. There was another James Burrows also of Little Marsden who married Elizabeth Rushton in 1759. I don't believe it is the same James who remarried because the children overlap. If you see any names you recognise, do let me know. Gill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:20 pm 

I have Elizabeth BURROWS marr Richard WATSON 13 Sept 1795 at Clitheroe, though both were of the 'Castle Parish', indicating they lived, probably, in Reedley area (it's an ecclesiastical oddity). Richard was from Southfield in Gt Marsden originally, I haven't found Elizabeth's birth. a witness however was Abraham BURROWS. Possibly related to John BURROWS, an inaugural trustee at Haggate Baptist in 1767 (see my booklet !). Richard and Betty (Elizabeth) did register their children at Haggate. In the earlier years of their marriage they lived in Filly Close, the north-western part of 'Reedley'.

Rex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:49 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

I have an odd few Burrows on my tree, starting with Henry b1796.

Coincidentally, one of Henry's decendants, Thomas Emmett, is the man mentioned on the thread about the neglected children.

Descendants of Henry BURROWS
Generation 1
1. HENRy1 BURROWS was born in 1796. He married BETTY UNKNOWN. She was born in 1796.
Henry BURROWS and Betty UNKNOWN had the following children:
i. ALice BURROWS was born in 1821. She married ROBERT EMMETT on 22 May 1843
in St James Church, Briercliffe, son of Hartley EMMETT and Ellen CATLOW. He
was born on 30 Jun 1821.
2. ii. MARY BURROWS was born in 1825. She married JAMES EMMETT on 21 Jun 1850 in
St James Church, Briercliffe, son of Hartley EMMETT and Ellen CAT LOW. He was
born on 05 Jun 1819.
iii. JANE BURROWS was born in 1826.
iv. JOHN BURROWS was born in 1828.
v. HENRY BURROWS was born in 1831. He married TABITHA LEVER in Sep 1860 in
Burnley 8e 303. She was born on 08 May 1840 in Haggate, Briercliffe, Lancashire,
England.
vi. NANCY BURROWS was born in 1834.
vii. WILLIAM BURROWS was born in 1836.
viii. THOMAS BURROWS was born in 1840.
- -------------
Generation 2
2. MARy2 BURROWS (Henry") was born in 1825. She married JAMES EMMETT on 21 Jun 1850 in St
James Church, Briercliffe, son of Hartley EMMETT and Ellen CAT LOW. He was born on 05 Jun
James EMMETT and Mary BURROWS had the following children:
i. ELLEN3 EMMETT was born in 1853 in Briercliffe, Lancashire.
3. ii. THOMAS EMMETT was born in 1855 in Briercliffe, Lancashire. He married ELIZABETH
COOK on 18 Sep 1875 in St James Church, Briercliffe.
4. iii. ANN EMMETT was born in 1859 in Briercliffe, Lancashire. She married MOSES
GREENWOOD in 1883 in Burnley Register Office or Registrar Attended. He was born
in 1858.
iv. NANCY EMMETT was born in 1859 in Briercliffe, Lancashire.
v. HARTLEY EMMETT was born in 1862 in Briercliffe, Lancashire.
vi. JOHN EMMETT was born in 1865 in Briercliffe, Lancashire.
vii. JOSEPH EMMETT was born in 1870 in Briercliffe, Lancashire.
Generation 3
3. THOMAS3 EMMETT (Mary? BURROWS, Henry" BURROWS) was born in 1855 in Briercliffe,
Lancashire. He married ELIZABETH COOK on 18 Sep 1875 in St James Church, Briercliffe.
Thomas EMMETT and Elizabeth COOK had the following children:
i. JAMES4 EMMETT was born in 1878.
ii. MARY ANN EMMETT was born in 1883.
iii. ANNIE EMMETT was born in 1886.
4. ANN3 EMMETT (Mary" BURROWS, Henry" BURROWS) was born in 1859 in Briercliffe, Lancashire.
She married MOSES GREENWOOD in 1883 in Burnley Register Office or Registrar Attended. He was
born in 1858.
Moses GREENWOOD and Ann EMMETT had the following children:

----------------:--------------- ----- ---- -
Generation 3 (con't)
i. MARGARET ANN4 GREENWOOD was born in 1885.
ii. ELLEN ADA GREENWOOD was born in 1886.
iii. JOHN THOMAS GREENWOOD was born in 1888.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:14 pm 

Like Portia, my other half has a Burrows line going back through Henry Burrows b 1831. Henry seems to have married twice, the first time in 1852 to Nancy Bridge, they had a daughter Nancy, b c 1859. Nancy-the- wife died at the very start of 1860. Before that year was out, Henry married a Tabitha Leaver, born c 1840. Tabitha was the daughter of a Mary Leaver, we're not sure if there was a permanent partner.
Together, Henry and Tabitha had a son, John Burrows, born 1863. I have no knowledge of any other children. My other half's line is via this John.
John married an isabella whalley in 1883. They had children: Tabitha (1886 - 1929), Ada (died young), Mary (b 1888/9), Henry/Harry (b 1895/6), William (1898/9 - 1916), and Sarah Ann (b 1899). Isabella died towards the end of 1903, aged 38.
John re-married in 1906, to an Ellen Turner. Their children, as far as I know, were Herbert (1908), Wilfred, and finally Frank (b 1911).
I've no idea what the fate was of most of the family of the two marriages, although for some reason I have the idea many died quite young. I'm afraid I know nothing of any 20th/21st century descendants, really.
At present I'm trying to explore the origin of Mary the mother of Tabitha Leaver. She's on the 1841 census, and 1861 as grandmother of young Tabitha, but I keep getting muddled, somewhere there's a Leaver/Jackson link or marriage - and I think, from piecing together bits into what still is just a tissue of speculation - that sounds good, must remember that term- there's a John Jackson, and possibly a John Leaver, maybe a Matthew Smith, somewhere in the mix - Mary seems to have had a Mary as her mother, and siblings Tabitha (m Hudson) and Ellen (m Lord) who figure later in returns. There may have been others. The "Tabitha" name keeps popping up, there's even a Tabitha Jackson born way back in 1806 who may be linked - but I'm not able to get any of this fixed yet.
I know you'll get a lot of help from this site. I wish you good luck, better than mine, in your search.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:45 pm 

Im hope this thread is still active. I am a direct descendent of John Burrows. I believe him to be my Great grandfather. I believe the line was Henry (Great Great Grandfather) John (Great Grandfather), Wilfred (Grandfather), Michael John (my Father), Richard John (Myself), Finley John (my son).

Id be very interested to hear from anyone with interest in our family.
Richard.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:39 pm 

I have a John Burrows in my family tree but I suspect not the one you refer
to. The John I have was born in Little Marsden in 1868 and married Lavinia
Eastwood. His mother and father were Edmondson and Ann Burrows who also
lived in Little Marsden.
I don't have a Henry in my family but the family you refer to could be part
of the same family through a different connection

John was father to Harold (b. 1867), Albert (b.1890), Walter (b. 1891) and
Willie (b. 1898). My John was connected to Nelson Cricket Club if that
helps, as were many from the Burrows clan.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:27 am 

I think that Wilfred Burrows b. c1898/9 may have been the next to youngest of the second John Burrows marriage. John b 1863 had two wives, firstly Isabella Whalley, and their children were Tabitha, Sarah A., Ada, Mary, Alice Emmot, Henry (Harry), William and another Sarah. Several seem to have died young. After Isabella died 1903, he remarried, to Ellen Turner, and the children of this marriage were Herbert, Wilfred and Frank. I'm pretty sure Frank died young, too.
I think Alice Emmot Burrows may have married an Isaac Hargreaves, and had children, and Tabitha a William Leigh, and they had children. I'm pretty sure that the survivors of the brood worked in cotton or similar. I actually know very little about the family, sorry. I hope that this has been of some help to you.