Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Talbot Hotel Burnley
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:17 pm 

Peek Into the Past April 2007. Raises the question as to why the Talbot Hotel got its name and also why there were two date stones. ie: 1888 (build year) and 1626 (reason unknown). Were these questions ever resolved.

Post subject: Re: Talbot Hotel Burnley
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:23 pm 
Spider Lady

I can't say that I know...I'll send Roger an email this evening and let you know the response

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Last edited by Mel on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Email sent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:26 am 
Spider Lady

I have received a reply from Roger....

Yes that was resolved - well almost. 1888 was the year in which the Talbot was rebuilt, one of an indeterminate number of rebuilds. 1625 is more problematic but it was resolved that this date refers to an earlier rebuild. The problem is that the stone on which this date appears is only as old as the building - ie 1888. The real thing which does cause difficulties about the building is why is was called the Talbot Hotel. Historically the inn was the Parker's Arms and the Parkers were the Parker's of Extwistle Hall. The family lived at the Hall until 1718 when, after the accident in which Captain Parker blew himself up, his widow removed both herself and Captain Parker's heir to near Chorley in Lancashire. The Parker's (latterly called Townley Parker) (ie without the first "e" in Towneley) continued to live in and near Chorley until the family died out in the male line c 1900. Why the name of the inn/hotel was changed no one appears to know though there are few theories none of which have been proved.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:06 am 

Thank you Mel.

My own theory requires a bit more imagination. Robert Towneley Parker (1793 - 1879) (Extwistle & Cuerden) probably had as part of his coat of arms an image of a Talbot. (a breed of hunting dog). (see the Cheshire coat of arms) The re-build of the Parker's Arms then became the "Talbot". The date stone may have been intended for an extension to Towneley Hall by Richard Towneley that was completed in 1626 but considered unsuitable or confusing. This re-build may have been an opportunity to recycle the stone and to provide a link back to the Towneley's. What does the team think?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:53 pm 
Computer Whizz

Not altogether to do with the Talbot Pub, but, this may be of interest to the Townley/Parkers.
There is a Talbot Inn in Euxton which isn't far from Cuerden Hall and Astley Hall where the Parkers lived. There is also an Euxton Hall very nearby, so I looked to see if they had lived there and came across this site--- http://www.chorleyhistorysociety.co.uk/sys2004.htm
Very interesting reading about the hierarchy of the Chorley area.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:55 am 
Spider Lady

Having no Parker connection myself, I can't say I've ever given any thought to the goings on. Would you like me to email your theory to Roger to see what his take is?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:05 pm 

Hi Mel

As a novice I would welcome any opinion that forwards the knowledge on his subject. My thinking was that the Parker's "ARMS" could be extended to the Parker's coat of arms. But having said this: its not clear if the Parker's Coat of arms included the "Talbot" dog. On the other hand the word "Talbot" is itself the Heraldic name for a coat of arms. Now I'm totally confused.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:15 am 
Spider Lady

I have emailed Roger once more. Unfortunately he does not get much time to view the site and is quite new to computers. He's catching up though gradually.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:54 pm 
Spider Lady

Response from Roger...

The simple answer about the Parker's Arms is we do not know why the name was changed. What I wrote was as speculative as anyone else might have been. I can add, though, that though members of the Parker family were keen huntsmen (this is what the Extwistle Hunting Song is about) their coat of arms contains no dogs. As you will know the Talbot was a hunting dog. The Parker of Extwistle coat of arms shows three stags on the sheild.
Incidentally, I almost resent the reference to any lack of imagination I might have but the individual who has made the enquiry might be on to something. Coats of arms changed when families intermarried or when one family absorbed the estate of another. It could be that there is some sort of Talbot (or "talbot" as in dog) connection. I will look into this.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:09 pm 

Sorry Roger. I didn't mean to imply that you had no imagination only that when you are writing a piece for publication you are restrained to dealing with the facts that are known. Meanwhile, sitting on the sidelines I can indulge in fanciful theories that may be way off the mark.
My apologies.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:46 pm 
Spider Lady

He only almost felt resentment...but he also agreed with you :D
Don't discount your theories....it seems yours are not the only theories relating to the Talbot Inn that might be fanciful. Without documentation, it's all speculation :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:37 am 

This is all a bit serious !

The main thing is it used to do a good pint and hopefully still does !

Rex

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:09 pm 
Spider Lady

Wouldn't know Rex unfortunately. :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:56 pm 

This post only addresses the problem why the Talbot has two date stones. Roger is correct in saying that the 1626 date refers to an early re-build. I have been fortunate to make contact with the family of the builders of the current Talbot. The existing Talbot was built by the Parker's builders of Burnley who incidentally build many of the prominent Burnley buildings. They still hold detailed plans and instructions on these buildings. It would appear that Alice Parker the landlady of the old "Parker's Arms" requested that the date stone from the Parker's Arms to be incorporated into this latest Talbot Hotel. The Parker's builders were related to Alice Parker who was in turn related to the Parker's of Cuerden & Extwistle. and Robert Towneley Parker. Without delving into the full pedigrees of the Parker's and Towneley's I have no reason to doubt this information.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:19 pm 
Spider Lady

Brilliant, thanks Plaques. I will forward this info to Roger as I am sure he will be interested too (he really didn't take any offence).

There is an extensive Parker family tree in the family tree section on the main site.