Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Lowerhouse Cricket Club
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:57 am 

Lowerhouse CC is 150 years old this year and we are trying to accumulate an online and documentary archive. If anyone has any old images of the cricket ground or that general area in Lowerhouse, old teams etc., could they please let me look at them? Any suggestions as to where to look gratefully accepted.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:06 pm 

There is an image of Lowerhouse at the start of Briercliffe Societies You Tube "Postcards of old Burnley and Neighbourhood". It is actually a view down Bear St. Taken from the corner of "Victoria Terrace" Now the junction of Lowerhouse Lane and Scott St. There is also an image of "Sweet Clough" Now the junction of Lowerhouse Lane and Kiddrow Lane in the area of the new flats.
If it helps in your project both Lowerhouse Fold and the gas Lamp in the fold are Grade 2 Listed buildings/monuments.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:01 pm 

Thank you for this - I did notice those images which is why I thought I'd ask if there were any more anywhere perhaps with the cricket club on. Really enjoyed looking at the postcards.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:46 am 

I may be stating the obvious here but the only sources I can think of are the memorabilia stall in the Burnley Flea market and the Burnley Library. The Burnley Express records may show pictures of the club house fire and also the "sports" days where they had someone diving from a 500 ft tower into a wet sponge (I exaggerate).

Last edited by Plaques on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:52 pm 

Please send a link when it goes online as I would love to see it. The only thing I can find at the moment is a Burnley Express newspaper clipping c.1976 of my husbands grandfather with the score board in the background when he was made a life member after 72 years unbroken membership of Lowerhouse. Apparently he joined the Junior Team aged 16 in 1904 and served on the Committee from 1932 to 1946. I probably have more being the "keeper of the photographs etc", but at the moment everything is packed up as we are moving home on Friday/Saturday.

Mo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:49 pm 

Mo - I am dying to know who your grandfather was!! Once you have moved please would you get back in touch?? I can show you what I have from the early days, ( we have a copy of a programme for a fund raising bazaar from 1914 and club reports from 1867 onwards) I believe the club's website is having a few problems at the moment so don't think the stuff I have scanned for them is on yet.

Plaques - I am going to work through the newspaper archive eventually and will check out the flea market chap also.

Thanks for your interest.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:22 pm 
Spider Lady

Welcome to the site Westender - have you been in touch with Roger Frost? I don't know if he has anything, but there is always a chance that he may have something of interest to you stashed away in the Society collection somewhere.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:49 pm 

Hi,

My husbands grandfather was Bill Fisher or to be perfectly correct William James Fisher (1888 - 1979). If you would like the newspaper cutting I can send it to you. I am sure we have a proper photograph of it, but where the heck it is at the moment is anyones guess :roll: I do have a vague idea which box it is in though.

I will be offline from Friday until Tuesday - the internet will be the last thing unplugged at this house!! If you see a strange woman driving around with her laptop on her knee looking for a wi-fi "hot spot" over easter it will be me having withdrawal symptoms :lol:

Mo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:15 am 
Spider Lady

Head for McDonalds - I think they have an open zone :lol:

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:05 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a good idea :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:43 pm 

Hello.
I just arrived and saw this thread
I am also looking for pictures of Lowerhouse Cricket Club from around 1940 onwards.
Did anyone find anything which I could see online. Sadly, for me, Burnley is a long way off!
Thanks
Max

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:30 pm 

Hi all,

I know this thread is 4 years old, but after some googling - I stumbled across it.

I presume Westender is a fellow contributor to this (I have a sneaky suspicion who you are) - but I have been putting together "The History Books" on our website (The Lowerhouse Cricket Club) website.

It features a lot of the things that people have been looking for/asking for.

Link here

I'd particularly recommend Lowerhouse Cricket Club - A History or The Creation of Lowerhouse Cricket Club which Westender could have written themselves!

Just hope you have email notification of replies turned on and see this message.