Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:59 pm 

At the point where Burnley Road becomes Briercliffe Road there is a boundary stone situated on the left as you enter Briercliffe. Sadly the centre piece of this stone is missing. Does anyone know what was on this stone and why / when it was removed. (The Boundary stones between Burnley and Brierfield are in the same condition.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:19 pm 

Have a look at the one down Barden Lane, on the right going down the steeper lowest part. It was I think placed there when the boundary between Burnley and Reedley changed in 1894 (when Burnley became a County Borough).

I can't look just now because Cambridge is a long way off !

Rex

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:41 pm 

Thank You Rex. I've located the stone on Google but the image is blurred and you can't see any detail. The next time I drive into Burnley I'll take this route and have a look at it. This type of boundary stone does appear to mark the old county borough boundaries and they may have been removed by the corporation vandals as Burnley expanded. Has anyone a photograph of them?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:54 pm 

Sorry Rex, We tried but the boundary stone on Barden Lane is in the same condition as the other stones, ie: the centre plaque has been removed. In the excellent book "Burnley" by John Lowe he details all the boundary changes since 1854. This particular section from Barden Lane through Colne Road and onwards to Briercliffe Road has remained the same since 1889. In fact the current boundary marker on Barden Lane is within inches of the old stone. So the question remains "What was on these stones?".

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:44 pm 

In 'Walks in a Lancashire Township, no1, The Villages of Briercliffe', by Roger Frost and Malcolm Higggin, 1985, there is a mention (pp13-14) of the one at the Briercliffe - Burnley boundary (as it was once). I quote : 'Look for a round-topped stone with an odd shape carved into the upper part. This is a boundary stone.' They go on to explain that it was put there in 1889 (so I was 5 years out !). Not that this solves your problem !

You are quite right about John Lowe's book being excellent.

Rex

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:26 pm 

Rex. Mystery solved. There are two complete stones in Ightenhill Park Lane Burnley. Fortunately, they are listed monuments.ref. " Boundary stone. c1889. Sandstone with cast-iron plaque.
Rectangular stone pillar with rounded head, a moulded
cast-iron plaque in the face lettered "Burnley Municipal
Borough Boundary 1889". I will send Mel a photograph.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:17 pm 

Good news !

Once upon a time (pre 1889 I guess) Ightenhill Park (by which I mean the old 'township', not the modern 'municipal' park) was separate from Burnley or Habergham Eaves townships.

The boundary history of 'our' part of NE Lancs is complicated, with having to worry about townships, chapelries, and manors, not to mention such delights as extra-parochial places and Forests (Trawden, Pendle, and if need be Accrington and Rossendale) !

I've something else on the site about the 'Castle Parish' of Clitheroe, which is another factor in all of this.

Rex

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:24 am 
Spider Lady

Plaques wrote:
Rex. Mystery solved. There are two complete stones in Ightenhill Park Lane Burnley. Fortunately, they are listed monuments.ref. " Boundary stone. c1889. Sandstone with cast-iron plaque.
Rectangular stone pillar with rounded head, a moulded
cast-iron plaque in the face lettered "Burnley Municipal
Borough Boundary 1889". I will send Mel a photograph.

This is the link to the photograph that Plaques sent to me a few weeks ago http://briercliffesociety.co.uk/Photo%2 ... Stone1.htm

My apologies for the delay

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:08 pm 

Sorry for the old thread resurrection! Just wondering, what the official boundaries are for Briercliffe?

Thanks in advance.

David.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:42 pm 

For anyone interested:

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/election-maps/gb/

Apparently according to this, Briercliffe starts at st. James primary school :)

Good too know haha.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:29 am 
Computer Whizz

That's a handy link.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.