Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:26 pm 

Does anyone know the location of Smith's Row. The name first appears in the 1881 census enumerators list along with "(Black Bull, Lees head, Baldwin's Hill, Smith's Row, Wilkinson St. Plane Tree Houses, Delph Hole, etc:). I may add that Wilkinson St: is also a mystery. Smith's Row appears in numerous pocket directories as "Smith's Row, Lane Head". I suspect as with my previous query on Hamer's Terrace that it is associated with people who lived there.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:21 am 
Computer Whizz

Not 100% sure but I think it may be the row of cottages up behind the chippy which is next door to the Black Bull, and Delph Hole would be behind it.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:10 pm 

Gloria. You may be right. This area behind the Black Bull had far more houses in the 1880's than it does now. The rows I think you are referring to are now 1 to 7, & 9 to 21, Jib Hill Cottages. From what I can make out Wilkinson St: ran from Marsden Rd: along the path to the right of the "Chippy" and according to Barrett's 1945 directory incorporated all of Jib Hill Cottages. However, to confuse matters there were seven houses in the area now identified as Baldwins Hill but current maps only show 2 houses (Nos:57 & 59 Marsden Rd.).
Since these seven houses formed a block rather than a row I think Nos: 9 to 21 may be the ones I'm looking far. Thanks for your help.