Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:22 pm 

Hello to one and all. I was chatting to my father in law the other day, as you do, and for some reason we got onto the topic of local murders (!). He mentioned that around 50 years ago he was doing a decorating job on Briercliffe Road, and apparantly a man had just murdered his wife. My family moved into a semi up near the old library (Barbon St?) in the late 70's and I can't help but wonder if it was our old house where it happened, as it was really old fashioned and grim when we moved in...and had been empty for some time.
In a nutshell, does anyone know if it indeed happened at 349 Briercliffe Road? My curiosity has got the better of me.
I'd appreciate any information, thank you for reading.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:17 pm 
Computer Whizz

I vaguely remember this, and I am pretty sure it was the semi opposite the entrance to Burnley General Hospital--- it was empty for ages.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:56 pm 
Spider Lady

Welcome to the forum - is it worth contacting Burnley library to see if they have it in the newspaper index? I don't think the index is complete though :(

I wonder if Roger knows anything about it?

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:00 am 

I agree with Gloria, it was one of the semi detached houses facing the General Hospital and it was in the 70's.

Husband had a 'lady friend' ( it was reported in the Express,) does this let me out of a slander claim?
The lady in question persuaded the husband to dispose of the wife. He got life but they were unable to prove her direct connection with the crime
despite his plea that she was an accomplice after and before the fact.

Yeah OK how do I know :oops: She appeared a couple of years later as a patient of mine and was predisposed to chat about it too anyone who would listen.
The house I believe was purchased by the health service and new doctors who could not find accomadation within the grounds were put up at that house as a temporary base.

I do remember the crime was a bit gruesome for this website, body parts in the kitchen I believe.

Sleep well on that info. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:13 am 
Spider Lady

:shock: How awful!

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:27 am 

Thanks very much for that. Our house was a few doors up, but I remember a couple living in that house, my friend and I used to play with their daughters (doctors from the far east if memory serves), glad to put that to rest.