Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nicholl family
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:31 am 

I'm researching the Nicholl family who originated in Dumfriesshire.

Jennet Nicholl born 1799 in Dumfries married Joseph Stanworth on 20 September, 1819, at St. Peter's, Burnley.

Catharine Nicholl baptised 11 April 1802 at Deardengate Independent Chapel, Haslingden, married John Parker on 3 April, 1820, at St. Peter's, Burnley. They lived at Walshaw.

William Nicholl baptised at Deardengate Chapel, on 13 February 1804, married Elizabeth Halstead 9 March, 1834, at St. Peter's.

The parents of Jennet, Catharine and William were Adam Nichol(l) and Margaret (nee McNeill). I've researched many of the descendants but haven't been able to research back into their origins in Dumfriesshire.

Adam Nicholl worked as a gamekeeper for Robert Townley Parker at Royle until about 1834. The family lived at Lee Green, Extwistle, and maybe at The Lodge, Long Causeway, Cliviger.

Is anyone researching this family?

Post subject: Re: Nicholl family
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:06 pm 

After a long gap I dipped back into my family history this morning and found this website, and your post. I was thrilled!

Jennet Nicholl is my three times great grandmother (female line right back). Until today I didn't know who here parents were. 20 years ago, I found in censuses that she was born in Scotland but when I tried that IGI I found too many possible Jennet Nicholl births in Scotland to follow them up. Later, I found she was baptised in the Burnley area but never followed this up by hunting for her parents there. Presumably this is what you did.

You write that you have researched many of the descendants. I don't know if you have found my line. In brief:

Jennet Nicholl m Joseph Stanworth (Burnley, 1819)

Margaret Stanworth m John Whitaker (Worsthorne, 1843)

Alice Whitaker m John Thomas Bannister (Burnley, 1883)

Mary Martha Bannister m Herbert John Hall (Barnoldswick, 1906)

My parents: Annie Hall 1908-60 (aka Hall Hartley or Hartley following her adoption) m Norman Henry Midgley 1903-1991 (Colne, 1934), two children:

My brother: Donald Edward Midgley (born Colne, 1936) m Margaret Rose Abrey (Crouch End, London, 1967)

Me: Eileen RUTH Midgley (born Colne, 1946) m David Frankland Harding (York, 1995), no children

My elder niece: Catherine JANE Midgley (born Yeovil, 1969) m Robert J. Simister (Winchester, 1996), no children

My younger niece: Laura Susan Midgley (born Yeovil, 1972) m Stephen Fietta (Tintagel, 2004), two children:

Alessia Holly Fietta (born London, 2007)

Sebastian Joseph Fietta (born London, 2009)

I hope you revisit this website and that my information is of interest to you. Thank you again for your post. I have lived in London since 1967.

Ruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:58 pm 

I can not give any details about the Nicholl family apart from when i was a little girl i remember my mother saying that a man once came to grandmas who lived at Slack Farm Briercliffe that he would do the family tree if she wanted him to .
He got them back to a man called Adam Nicholl who lived in Scotland and came to Lancashire to work as a game keeper .
it does sound like the same family im really sorry ive no more details

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:42 am 

Ruth, I will send a private message to you as probably details of our family would not be of general interest. After all, it's five years since my original post. Marg, if you are interested in the Nicholl/Stanworth family I will include you as well.

Joan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:39 pm 

hello Joan , yes i am interested in the stanworth nicholl information .
you could e-mail me at cmarcliffe@talktalk.net if you wanted .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:09 am 

I apologise for possibly having raised false hopes about a Lancashire baptism for Jennet Nicoll. I have now checked back through my files and see that what I had found was an IGI record for Jennet's marriage to Joseph Stanworth in Burnley on 5 Sept 18l9. Under events birth, this print-out states: 1799 Of Extwistle, Lancashire, England.

This was clearly therefore not a baptismal reference but a confusing birth reference. Before seeing this, I had always assumed that Joseph Stanworth had travelled North and found his bride to be in Scotland - which was clearly not the case. Thanks to Joan I now know that the Nicoll family were already in Lancashire for the birth of Jennet's siblings. I also now know the names of her parents.

Yesterday I tried an online IGI trawl for Nicolls in both Scotland and England but had no luck finding with either a baptism for Jennet or a marriage for her parents. So it seems this trail has now gone cold for a while.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:17 pm 

I have just dipped back into the IGI (Scottish births and baptisms via the Family Search website) and found a baptism for an Adam Nichol that might just be our man. I searched for births in Scotland between 1765 and 85 and he was the only one born in Dumfries.

Adam Nichol: birth 14 March 1770, christening 18 March 1770,
at Langholm, Dumfries, Scotland
parents: Thomas Nichol, Agnes Dryden

No luck at all searching for a marriage with Margaret McNeill.

Also no finds for a Margaret McNeill born in the Outer Hebrides - and too many born elsewhere in Scotland.

Ruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:23 am 

Looking for anyone doing research into the Bradshaws living in the area near St Peters church in the 1841-1861 census also lanehead in 1861-81 then Duke Bar & Colne road.Some of the Bradshaws buried at Haggate Cem Sues

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:50 am 

To keep everybody's records straight, I am sadly announcing that I am not after all descended from Jenet Nicholl, who for many years was my favourite ancestor. I liked the idea of being descended on my female line from this long-lived woman with Scottish ancestry living on a Pennine hillside at Extwistle.

Unfortunately, although I am pretty confident that my research into the more distant past was sound, when I did my original research 20 years ago I failed to appreciate quite how many Whitakers and Bannisters there were in the area and was misled by finding the wrong marriage for my Alice Whitaker and John Bannister great grandparents. My link to the Nicholls was through the Extwistle Whitakers and Stanworths. I have found instead that I am descended from Trawden and Colne Whitakers and from Marsden Bannisters.