Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Marriage laws
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:26 pm 

Any body know anything about marriage laws etc in 1700s?

I have had a look on the family search website for a man called John Thistlethwaite who married Ann Sharp in Newchurch in Pendle on 18th November 1783.
He is we assume, my 'lost ' ancestor George's brother.

The next entry I found says Cheshire Marriage Bonds and Allegations 1606-1900, and describes the couple as John age 28, batchelor and spouse, Ann Sharp age 50!!!!!!! Widow. Yes I wondered about that? :roll:

Back to the plot, why would his application, for want of a better description, to marry, be on line, but George Thistlethwaite who also married in Newchurch in 1768 have no ref. in the Cheshire Marriage Bonds?

George was a resident but John seems to have appeared from nowhere although now knowing Ann's age she must be the old girl buried there in 1822, but no husband?

Post subject: Re: Marriage laws
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:18 pm 

Hi Hannah,

John appears in the Cheshire Marriage Bonds and Allegations because he got a Marriage Licence instead of having the Banns read out for three weeks. The Licence dated 18th November, 1783 states he was of the Parish of Newchurch in Pendle, so one thought is that they wanted to keep it quiet - Hmm! They were married two days later. George on the other hand married by Banns so he wouldn`t appear in the Cheshire Marriage Bonds and Allegations.

Mo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:06 pm 

Ah, thanks Mo, as I suspected, their families didn't want to know, I'm not ageist but she must have been :roll: quite an old girl for those days?

On the other hand if she is the one who lived to 90+ :oops: well I better not comment.

I went on line in the wee small hours and had a chat with an Elder over the pond, who tried to get into the Cheshire Marriage Bonds digital folder, but no luck, he said it was not available to them and to try in a couple of months.

They must have got the details from some records here? or is this going to be another dead end.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:17 pm 

Hi Hannah,

I have the images so if you want to pm me your e-mail address I will forward them, but there are no further clues on them. It just states he was a Woollen Manufacturer. Perhaps they just didn`t want tongues wagging in church and around the village for 3 weeks. She may have been an extremely good looking 50 year old or on the other hand quite wealthy :lol: She certainly did something right living until 90+ and probably outlived John.

Mo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:41 pm 

Hi MO. How do you dig ll this info. up??

I found last night a yorkshire website where you had answered a question for me back in I think it was 1997 , but my brain is going dead with the internet, so bear with me.

yes I will send my email address.
I have hunted around the Thornton residents for that period and there are three Thistlethaite families and five Sharp's in the village.

There is a ref. to Thomas Sharp, wife Ann and daughter Ann born 1774.

Can't find their ages though but the daughter would be 10 when Ann remarried? and mother of course would have been about 40, if she is the one of course.

The mind boggles at the scandel they caused and of course we are not in the least bit envious :mrgreen:

If I can link John and Ann to Thornton and assume that George was a very close relative who helped the very happy couple to marry, it may give me a clue about George.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:41 am 

:?: Woollen manufacturer, is this another clue, where would there be a mill in a short radius of Pendle, Barnoldswick perhaps.

Would he mean a wool weaver?

They certainly had quite a lively time back then, I'm even watching Garrow's Law again to keep up with Tracy's Martha Luke.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:27 pm 

Hi Hannah,

On the actual Parish register entry he was a Shalloon Maker (Woollen Blankets or Coverlets for beds).

According to a book I have, there was a Woollen Factory built in the Mid 18c just below the village of Newchurch in Pendle. There is a lane connecting Tyndale and Bull Hole Farms and on the east of this lane there are the remains of the small Factory. It is thought the factory would have closed when Spen Brook and Narrowgate Mills were built in the 19c.

Regards,
Mo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:11 pm 

Thanks Mo I have just got back from Clitheroe via Downham Newchurch on the 'bouncy bus'( this bus ride gives beautiful views but the narrow lanes are not for the travel sick) and as we came through I was wondering about the derelict buildings.

Hope the email address got through last night, Mel will let you have it if I have contacted the wrong person :?: