Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:10 pm 
Spider Lady

Burnley Express

Saturday 31 October 1885

The Sagars of Catlow

On the brow of a deep glen, overhung with shady woods, stands the homely and unpretending homestead of "Catlow Hall." An inscription over the kitchen door reads as follows:- "William Sagar and Margaret his wife, 1666." The Margaret here mentioned was the daughter of John Brierclive, who built the old house at "Burwains," and tradition says the Sagars or Segars came over from Flanders during the reign of Edward III, and were among the first to commence the manufacturing of cloth in this locality. The origin of the patronymic is evidently Norman, as Segar is a common name at present in French Flanders, and also in Normandy. The manufacturing and delaing in cloth has been carried on by this family up to a recent period. The solitary fulling mill that existed here up to the close of the last century has disappeared. It stood on the north bank of the stream in "Catlow Bottoms," a few yards below the weir, close to the ford leading from Catlow to Story Raikes. It was used as a cottage up to about twenty years ago. From an inquisition, post mortem, temp. Henry VIII., John Sagar held lands in Brierclive and Great Marsden. The John Sagar here mentioned was the grandfather of William Sagar, who built Catlow Hall in 1666. He was remarkably fond of the chase, and rode hard after the hounds, and was a boon companion to Cunliffe of Wycollar. From an examination of the "Burwains' papers," kindly placed at my disposal by Mrs. Robertshawe, the venerable owner of the Burwain's estate, I find a deed of settlement entered into between Robert Hammond, gent., and William Sagar, of Catlow, whereby the said Robert Hammond bequeaths certain lands in Great Marsdeane as a marriage dowry to his daughter Mary. This gift subsequently proved a source of litigation in the Duchy Court at Lancaster, in which Gyles Hammond was plaintiff and William Sagar defendant, and which ultimately resulted in favour of the plaintiff, an order from the court, signed by Sir Thomas Howard, Kngt., peremtorily ordering the said William Sagar to pay forthwith the sum of £100 into the court. Gyles Hammond was constable of Great Marsden in 1641, and was a descendant of the Hammonds of Crawshaw Hall. William Sagar, of Southfield, a collateral branch of the Sagars of Catlow (Carr's annals of Colne), was born in the year 1751, and was the son of a cloth merchant who, by industry and prudence, had amassed a considerable fortune. He passed his boyhood in a careless, though respectable, mode of life. His father was extravagantly fond of the pleasures of the chase (this seemed to be hereditary in the family), and when his son grew up his most earnest desire was to see him first in the field. For a time, with an ardour hardly to be surpassed, the two hunted all day, and then, to redeem lost time, worked hard all night. The father joined the Wesleyan Methodists, and when he died in 1806, the new religion lost a friend whom it was almost impossible to replace. When the Wesleyan Chapel at Colne was built, in the year, 1824, we find among the list of subscribers the names of Richard Sagar, of Southfield £105; William Sagar, do., 3105; and Lister Sagar, of the same place, £50; and Mrs. Sagar Catlow £21. On Easter Monday, 1655, a bull baiting was held at Gisburn, which attracted a great number of the local gentry. The bull, infuriated and lashed into rage by its tormentors, broke loose, and dashing among the bystanders scattered both men and dogs right and left, and several persons were dangerously wounded, among whom were Richard Towneley, Esq., who afterwards died from his wounds; and William Sagar, of Catlow, received several internal injuries, the effects of which he carried to his grave. The descendants of this old Lancashire family no longer dwell in the paternal home at Catlow, although it still remains in their possession, but, following the example of great numbers of our rural population, have migrated to "the busy haunts of men," occupying respectable social positions in Burnley and neighbourhood, not altogether forgetting, I hope, the home of their ancestors, whose walls have braved the force of many a wintry storm under the shade of Old Boldsworth.
Tattersall Wilkinson.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:46 pm 
Computer Whizz

Interesting Mel, thanks.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:14 pm 

Thats great news. I actually own the area in question from the ford right down to Pighole Mill half mile down river. Last year while fencing near to the bridge in the said area, I came across a line of walling that I couldnt breach with my posts buried about a foot down which lay a few feet back from the bridge. Next to this going parallel with Southfield lane were the remains of an old walled track leading towards Catlow Hall. I might well have to ask John Clayton down for further investigation.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:16 am 
Spider Lady

Sounds interesting!! Let us know what John thinks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:50 am 

I`ll do my best but he`s a very busy man these days and dont suppose he`ll have too much time inbetween his many exploits.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:40 pm 
Spider Lady

You could try Roger? I'm sure he'd be just as intrigued

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:14 pm 

jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

Last edited by DaveE on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:32 am 
Spider Lady

Oh Wow! How exciting!

So does it get officially recorded or referenced now?

The penny has just dropped - I was thinking of John Bentley when you mentioned a John. You mean Barrowford John! Tell him Melteaser said hi!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:43 am 
Computer Whizz

Well Wow, tell John Hi from Gloria off "oneguy".
That is just a brilliant discovery.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:53 pm 
Computer Whizz

I've looked in "The History of Nelson and Marsden", "The History of Briercliffe with Extwistle" and also on old maps, but, I cannot see where Catlow Hall is / was. In the History of Nelson and Marsden are two photos, one of Catlow Old Hall (16th century) the other Catlow Hall 1666 but I don't recognise them. Where is it?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:25 pm 

Hi...The Old Hall at Catlow was unfortunately taken down by its previous owner Alec Cannon, a good few years ago. Said to have been built in the 1500s but certainly not the first to be built on those foundations. The present one, built in the 1660s still remains but is infact now split into two, with the eastern wing stonepainted in white and can be seen from Southfield lane when approaching Catlow Bottoms.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:04 pm 
Computer Whizz

Thanks Dave. I wonder how Alec Cannon got away with pulling the Old Hall down, you'd have thought there would have been an uproar about that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:22 pm 

For an update on the mill site see topic Catlow Bottoms Mill.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:51 pm 

Following Johns report on the buildings seen on the various old maps, and with nothing much to do over Christmas other than look out over the valley in the rain, I realised maybe the fulling mill wasn't the same building John was investigating and perhaps we should look again at another area.

Go back to the original gazette entry. " it stood on the north bank of the stream in catlow bottoms , a few yards below the weir, close to the ford leading from catlow to stoney raikes. ". This appears to be right there next to the main ford, not on the smaller river which joins further downstream.

The fulling mill site excavated is on the south bank 100yards down from the ford.

Our 'garden' takes in some walled land on the north of catlow brook, right up to the ford. A strip 10 feet wide by some 50 yards long. This may well be the site referred to in the gazette.
This area is a puzzle as to why land from 'Catlow' across the river, (now Pendle) is walled off and linked with briercliffe land.
4 massive Beech trees stand on this land now.
It would make sense that water from the weir/ford could be easily drawn off for use here. Now I know nothing shows on the maps, but there are many shaped stones in the section of river below the ford that may have belonged to some sort of industrial workings.

Roger Frost is giving a presentation at the end of January about catlow bottoms in the hopes of getting to the bottom of the centuries of development down here and I wanted to point out the north/south discrepancy for the benefit of the discussion.

I'll post up a few pictures as soon as I can.

Andrew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:34 am 

Interesting theory Andrew. The fact that the 'Mill' was still being used as a cottage wouldn't support this though. The dwelling in question, according to the paper was still in use in around 1865. If you look on the 1848 Ordinance Survey map, the only dwelling in this area, apart from Stepping Stones is the 'Mill' in question. Just as the paper states, it had all but disappeared by the time of the next map being drawn up in 1893. In my opinion and on those grounds in particular, I would personally conclude that the Fulling Mill was definitey 'In situ' with John Claytons original findings.