Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mumming
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:37 pm 

Can anyone else remember going around mumming on New years eve.

We used to cover ourselves with soot from the chimney and get dressed in rags and carry a brush.

Then we would knock on doors to be admitted where we would sweep out the old year ready for the new. We were never allowed to speak just make a mmmm ! sound. :D

Post subject: Re: Mumming
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:51 pm 

Yes I remember 'the mummers', my mother used to make me hide and pretend we were out for some reason. I don't know whether the tradition has died out now, but in folklore it was to establish boundaries. It is mentioned in one of author Stephen Booths (Burnley Author) books.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:54 pm 

Hi
Yes I can certainly remember 'mumming' on New Year's Eve. As you say, we all had our faces blackened, pinny's on, and went into houses in a line - one with a duster, one with a brush etc.. Don't know if it still goes on though!

Bonfire night was another memorable moment, We all went 'plotting' (collecting wood for the bonfire), and just before bonfire night we would go knocking on doors and sing:

'Remember, remember, the 5th of November,
It's gunpowder plot, we never forgot,
Put your hand in your pocket and pull out your purse,
A penny or ha'penny will do you no worse'

The money we collected would then buy a few fireworks and sparklers. Happy days!!

You can take a lass out of Lancashire, but you can't take the Lancashire out of a lass!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:40 pm 

We didn't like the mummers, so sent them on their way ! I think my mother was too houseproud, and didn 't want all that soot... (well, no soot at all !)

The bonfire night collections are familiar, we used to sing the jingle. Our bonfire was on Cassie (Casterton Avenue, where I lived). We used a patch of rough ground very near my house, where Horton Avenue now comes out. The farmer (Wormwell) had a way through to his field ('Sharp's field' I think), leading over to Fifth Avenue and Laurier Rd. Circa 1950-55. Happy days !

Rex