Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: BMD records
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:06 pm 

:?: trying to pin down a bit of family history that I thought I knew :roll:

My mothers cousin lived at home with her father and his second wife during most of my childhood. No one referred to a last name, although she had been married and had two sons somewhere???

I had my 'free' look on BMD as I realised I hadn't even an idea what my two second cousins first names were, let alone their surname.

So far I have found her marriage, Olga Sumner to ? Mr Jolly in 1934

I have traced two sons Denis Jolly b. 1935 and Anthony b. 1939 who appear to match.

Can anyone find her husbands first name for me?

I have decided to save myself a lot of time and am putting everyone on Ancestry tree, this saves a trip up to the attic and a hunt for the right box with the right family branch in it. :oops: I know!!!! should have done it years ago, I'm getting the hang of this slowly :roll: :roll:

No idea whether these men are dead or alive, but 'am I bovered'???? Probably not.

Post subject: Re: BMD records
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:54 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

From teh Lancashire bmd site:
Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1934
SUMNER Olga & JOLLY John Francis at Burnley Register Office or Registrar Attended. Records at Preston RM/243/75

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:23 am 

Thanks so much :) now I can have a 'tidy' tree.

Wish they had talked about this mystery man,I can't believe I still didn't know her first husbands name even though I was about 46 when she died.

We were all very close but no one mentioned him and it was a case of 'don't ask'!!! So I didn't :oops: :oops:

Apart from the fact that he 'went off with another woman' and I have just realised he took the children, no wonder she was so sad.

Does anyone know how to get on to a website ( as they seem to do with ease on Who do you think you are) to trace my father and his brothers navel WW2 records? I have tried on one that came up and there was no trace of them?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:44 am 

My husband is very familiar with researching army records but not navy. However, he suggests you might find something on the National Archives website (though for soldiers the information up there is a bit random).

Ruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:20 am 

Thanks, I will have a go.

The only website I have found can't find either of their names but has their father WW! Army with no problem. :?

Why did I not listen or ask questions about anything I have had to research over the years :cry:

BUT, maybe this qualifies me in the next life as a politician :wink: