Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:51 am 

I am looking for a marriage at Burnley St Peter's which took place in 1847.

On Lancashire online parish clerks, the register for 1838-56 appears to be the only one missing for the whole period from 1562-82!

Does someone know if the transcriptions online are from the church or the bishop's register - and if the information I am looking for is available from anywhere else?

Ruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:10 pm 

Hi Ruth,

Perhaps they haven`t been transcribed yet for whatever reason.

St. Peter`s marriages are now on Ancestry. If you want to provide their names I can have a look for you and see if they are listed.

Regards,
Mo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:56 pm 

Hi Mo

Thanks for the kind offer. I am in fact currently signed up to Ancestry myself and do already have the basic marriage details (for my great great grandfather Edward Midgley's marriage). I was just hoping I might get a bit of extra information from the transcript. I can't read the name of one of the witnesses on the marriage certificate. Not a big deal.

Ruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:18 am 

Hi Ruth,

I can see you problem with the Witness.

Mo
Added - It looks like William Lusby.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:21 pm 

Thanks Mo.

William Lusby it is.

I was looking into my gt gt grandfather Edward Midgley's marriage witness in an attempt to shed light on why Edward moved from Lincolnshire to Lancashire. I'm not much further with this - I wonder if the link is through an employer with Lancs and Lincs connections - but I thought you/others might be interested in what I have found:

Edward Midgley born Alford (variously Halford and Olford in censuses), Lincs in 1825.
William Lusby born Sausthorpe, Lincs (1841 transcribed as Lansthorf, Lancashire in Ancestry1, but given as nearby Spilsby in later censuses) in 1825

1841, Edward in Alford with his parents.
William not found (he is not the William Lusby in Swallow as this one seems to stay in Lincs).

1847 William is a witness at Edward's marriage at St Peter's Burnley. Edward is a servant, residence Green Hill, Habergham Eaves (does anyone know if Green Hill is an area or a big house?)

1851 Edward is a gentleman's servant, living out at Back South Parade, Habergham Eaves.
William is coachman at Carr Hall; his future wife Ellen Edmondson is a nurse

1861 Edward is a coachman, living out at Plantation St, New Accrington
William, now married with children, is coachman at Heir's House, Colne

1867 Edward died, aged 41, occupation coachman, place of death, Heir's House, Colne

1871 William and his family are in Ellesmere, Shropshire. His occupation is now innkeeper and mal[t]ster.

So it seems the two were long-standing friends and that William helped Edward get the job of coachman at Heir's House.

(As a child I lived in Barrowford Road, so knew of Heir's House - always pronouncing the H in Heir's!

Ruth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:56 pm 

In the last hour I seem to have solved the question I raised in my previous post.

Through a baptism picked up on Google, I found Green Hill, Habergham Eaves was the residence of Robert Artindale, a Solicitor. I then found Robert Artindale living at Green Hill in the 1851 census. His birthplace - like that of my gt gt grandfather Edward Midgley - was Alford, Lincolnshire. Bingo!

Ruth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:21 pm 

Hi Ruth,

There is a picture of Green Hill on here http://www.greenhillclub.co.uk/Club/Welcome.html
I have a feeling that part of what is now Manchester Road was called South Parade. I will go and check.

By the way there is also a Thomas Lusby aged 17 in Cliviger on the 1851 census born Sausthorpe.

Regards,
Mo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:35 pm 

Thanks again Mo. This has been a great leap forward for me.

Ruth