Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Causes of death
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:43 pm 

I have discovered that the Colne St Bartholomew burial registers for 1792 to 1812 include causes of death.

Does anyone know whether this was part of a wider initiative - or just an enthusiastic parish official at Colne?

I'd be interested to hear of any other examples. I think they make fascinating reading - but can understand that not everyone would agree.

My favourite is 'visit from God' (presumably a stroke, as another entry gives 'stroke from God').

There were obvious epidemics of measles, whooping cough (also apparently called chin cough) and smallpox. I thought there were rather fewer deaths in childbirth than I would have expected, though obviously there were a fair number. Some deaths were simply put down to 'decline' ...

Ruth

Post subject: Re: Causes of death
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:17 pm 

The incumbent from c. 1789 to 1811 was John Hartley. The actual register runs from 1790 to 1812.

The printed register, originally produced by a Nelson WEA class under the direction of Wifred Spencer in 1965-66, contains some statistical and other analysis of the information. The 1990 reprint by John Bentley (one of the original WEA class !) warns of some deficiencies in this analysis.

It is suggested that some other registers around this period, at least in Lancashire, also had extended information of this type.

Rex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:23 am 

Many thanks Rex.

Do you know where I might be able to get hold of John Bentley's reprint?

I was very interested to read that Wilfred Spencer had directed a WEA sudy of the information.

I was born in Colne but left in 1961, aged 15. I met Wilfred Spencer a couple of times after that, when visiting one of my cousins in Colne, and have signed copies of his 'Colne as it was' and 'Another Look at Colne' from the 1970s.

Ruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:35 pm 

I met Wilfred once or twice too in the 1960s, when I was starting on my family history, he helped me, very enthusiastically, with an old weathered gravestone in Colne churchyard (1682 !!).

The reprints (and further registers) were done around 1990, just A4, and are I am sure in Colne library. 'Online Parish Clerk' makes these redundant on the whole, but of course the burial register in question has all the analysis I mention. Out of print I guess, John himself may know of a source.

Rex

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:06 am 

Thanks for the information. I'll certainly go to Colne Library next time I am visiting my cousin. I know there is lots of useful material there. (In the 1950s my mother was a friend of Doreen Crowther, whom I know was one of the leading players in the early days of local family history, and whose research was given to the library when she died. Sadly, I didn't take much interest when she contacted me when I was a student in the mid 1960s.)

Ruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:38 pm 

can this info be accessed on line?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:11 pm 

The parish registers for Colne St Bartholomew's are available on the Lancashire online parish clerks website:

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Colne/stbarth ... index.html

As far as I know none of the analysis is available online. I was tempted to have a go myself - and still might sometime – but thought I would wait until after I next visit Colne, which I hope to do some time later this year.

Ruth