Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1841 Manchestr census
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:45 am 
Sage of Simonstone

Does anyone know of (or better, have acccess to) a street index for the 1841 Manchester census?

I'm stuck with my 3x g'grandfather, William Tickle, who was born in Chorlton on Medlock (Manchester) in 1821.
Apart from his marriage certificate, the only trace I have of him is the 1851 census at 15 Porter Street Chorlton on Medlock. this is ironic because the 1851 census documents for this area were badly water-damaged and to this day some of them are unreadable.

He was married in 1844 and his address then was 98 Oxford Road (not Oxford St), C-o-M. I wanted to look at that street in 1841 but it's a tedious job ploughing through the census page by page to find it.
I've started doing just that, checking every page for a William, a man aged 20 and/or a glass cutter but it's going to take forever.

So any ideas are most welcome.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:01 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

I just had a (rare) thought. Why don't I look at 1851, then try to find some of the neighbours in 1841 which might take me to the right page?? Duh!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:34 pm 
Computer Whizz

Have another rare thought Maureen---could this be him?? if you use your imagination his occupation could be glass "something".

Name: William Tickle
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1821
Where born: Lancashire, England

Civil parish: Manchester
Hundred: Salford
County/Island: Lancashire

Street Address:

Registration district: Manchester
Sub-registration district: Ancoats
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 577
Book: 14
Folio: 17
Page Number: 28
Household Members: Name Age
Martha Tickle 45
William Tickle 20
Elizabeth Tickle 18
Peter Tickle 12
John Tickle 8
N K 16

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:00 am 
Sage of Simonstone

Thanks Gloria. I can't tell you how many times I've looked a that family but it's not them. From memory, that William married a Mary whilst my William married a Sarah. I think I managed to find them both in 1851. I can't check any of this because my Ancestry account's acting weird. It just has me as a registered guest so I can't look at anything. Really frustrating.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:54 am 
Computer Whizz

I've looked for both in 1851 census and can only find the one with Sarah, I cannot see another one born in that area around that time. In 1861 there is a William Tickle with a Mary, he was born Warrington and a glass blower. It seems a really strange coincidence that two William Tickles are both glass "somethings"!! There is also in 1861 a Sarah Tickle, married, living with her sister Mary Colclough in Ashton in Makerfield. You don't think he has left Sarah and gone off with Mary do you?? What was Sarah's maiden name?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:05 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

Gloria
This family is a nightmare. I used to think Tickle was an unusual name till I started my tree but unfortunately, in Lancashire it isn't - especially Waarington and Wigan. William is a very popular name amongst the Tickles.
My William, b 1821 Chorlton-on-Medlock, was the son of Thomas Tickle, which I know from his marriage sertificate. He married Sarah Miller in 1844.
In 1851 they were living in Porter St, Chorlton-on-Medlock and had a son, John, born February/ March 1851.
In 1852 they were living in Wollaston, near Stourbridge where their son Francis (my 2xg'garndfather) was born.
It's possible that Sarah died in 1866 in Manchester. I've sent for a death certificate to try and find out whether it's the right Sarah.
Also there's a possible death for William in Stourbridge in 1855 and I'm waiting for that cert too.

I've looked long and hard at the William & Mary family in the past and I don't think it's them but I can't definitely say it isn't.
1. Mary's William appears to have been William James from the 1871 census - There's no evidence that my william had a middle name.
2. They have a son, John, b 1853. Which is possible but unlikely if Sarah's John was still alive. (I think he was as there was a John Tickle witness at Francis's wedding).
3. I can't find Francis anywhere between 1852 and 1875 and if Sarah had died I would have expected him to be with his father. Which suggest that the whole family is missing.
4. My william was a glass cutter in 1852 and shows on Francis's marriage cert as that in 1875. I think a glass blower is a whole different trade.

As I say, the whole thing's a mess. I keep picking at it like a scab, trying to find odd extra bits of information that might build into a bigger picture.

Well you did ask :lol:
But thanks for trying.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:36 pm 
Computer Whizz

"I keep picking at it like a scab"
I do this with a couple of mine, drives me bonkers. I keep expecting a miracle and one day I will do search and there they will be-- dream on Gloria :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:39 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

Not so much a dream as a nightmare. I makes me mad - I can trace Ben's lot back to the flood because they lived in a samll place and never went anywhere. My mother's lot is another matter. 1821 and I'm stuck :(

Ps think the Sarah in Ashton-in-Makerfield was nee Penward. There's a Penward/ Coleclough marriage in 1840 and there are some Penward lodgers at the same address.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:44 pm 
Computer Whizz

mmmm I saw that marriage. Ah well onwards and upwards---yours will be in the canal with Mels and mine.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:13 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

Well I just scored 1/2 on the death certificates. It was indeed my William who died in Wollaston, of TB, in 1855. So very sad, 34 years old with two boys under 5.
The Sarah who died in Manchester in 1866 doesn't apear to be 'my' Sarah Tickle.
The strange thing is the person who reported William's death wasn't Sarah, but a neighbour 'present at the death'. Possibly Sarah was out at the time or maybe she'd already died?
Anyway, I've chipped a little bit of the wall but I still haven't found the boys between 1851 and 1875 or Sarah after !852.
I might try and track down the neighbour on the off-chance the boys ended up with her.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:26 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

Oh deep joy :D :D :D
I searched Lancashirebmd on a whim, for a marriage of Sarah Miller in Manchester. (Miller being Sarah Tickle's maiden name).
I FOUND HER. It gives an alternative name of Fickle, which is obviously a mis-transcription of Tickle. The wall's beginning to look a bit shaky :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:32 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

Joshua fit the battle of Jericho, Jericho, Jericho . . . .
I'm so excited. I found them all on the 1861 census, with the boys showing under their step-father's name of Oakley.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:51 pm 
Computer Whizz

Well done you, I can picture you dancing a jig :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:57 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

Had to post it on here - there was no-one around to tell!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:59 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

Sadly by 1871 she was widowed again, with a houseful of children, some of whom weren't hers. Haven't found any of them since - yet