Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Which district?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:08 pm 

Please does anyone know which district of Burnley Pump Yard was in?
Thank you
regards

:?: :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:39 pm 
Photographer

Where have you seen a reference to Pump Yard Maggie?
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:43 pm 

Hi David
The reference to Pump Yard was given to me by the Bereavement Services at Burnley. It stated that " William Threlfall was buried on 28th June 1888 late of Pump Yard".

cheers
:?: :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:45 pm 
Photographer

Ok Maggie,I am on the case.I will post if I get a satisfactory result.
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:03 pm 

:)
Thank you so much.
regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:35 am 
Photographer

Just to update you Maggie. We have located a Pump Street so far but as yet not a Pump Yard,however the search goes on and will revert when furher information is hopefully unearthed. :roll:
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:46 pm 

Hi David
I really do appreciate the the trouble you are taking regarding my query. I did wonder if it should read Pump Street and not Yard but could not find any that either.
Thank you again
cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:17 pm 
Photographer

Ok Maggie.
Pump Street was near the Mitre Inn and Holy Trinity church in Habergham Eaves. Off Trafalgar Street and Accrington Road.
I have sent you a PM of an e mail address to contact to get a photocopy of the original 1888 map showing Pump Street.
Hope this helps
Regards
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:51 pm 

:D
Hi David
Thanks again you are a *. I thought it might be in the Mitre area, if this William is my ancestor then his ?estranged wife Rebecca was living on Napier St. in 1881. The later Threlfalls all lived in the Padiham, Trafalgar area. In fact I myself was born on Trafalgar St well not exactly on the street... but you know what I mean. I shall get those copies of the map and I might even send for the death cert to confirm the address.

Thanks again
best wishes
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:06 pm 
Photographer

Glad it was of help Maggie. By a strange coincidence Mel has just posted under Nutter Burials and there is a James Nutter who lived on Pump Street.
David

ps
I used to walk home along Trafalgar Street when I was a teenager in the 60,s, I lived in Park Lane area and walked from the town along Trafalgar. Remember all the streets that there were off Trafalgar in those days all gone now. Also remember a Pawnbrokers shop on Trafalgar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:24 pm 

You were a great help David and your time is greatly appreciated.
I have been trying to find Pump St on 1881 census just using the street name but it s not playing nice tonight.

So you lived in the posh area? . The Pawnbroker's shop was at one end and a sweet shop at the other end and in between was a row of houses one was 132 Trafalgar St almost opposite a cinema - the Alambra, that was my birthplace. We left there when I was 5 and moved to the Lanehead area but my grandparents, aunts and uncles lived there all their lives. I remember some of the streets but my older sister remembers nearly all of them. Her memory is great but she can't be sure where Pump Yard was.

What a coincidence Mel putting someone on here who also lived on Pump St.

regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:47 pm 
Photographer

Am trying to picture in my mind just where the Alambra cinema was located on Trafalgar. It would be on the right hand side as you travel towards the Mitre. Would it be where Kitchens garage is today??
I also seem to remember a shop that sold electrical and radio stuff, think most of it was spare parts for radios and probably second hand.
I also remember that there was always a fight or two going on particularly after time had been called in the pubs at weekend lol.
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:09 pm 

Yes I think the cinema was where Kitchen's garage is now. There was also a library nearby, my sister always used to go in there during lunch time and when she forgot the time the headmistress, who I believe is still alive, used to go and find her with her nose stuck in a book. I can't remember the electrical shop but I bet my sister would know of it.

So there used to be fighting at throwing out time did they, wonder if my ancestors were involved? I know my grandad, dad and uncles used to go to the Mitre pub. Do you remember several years ago when a baby's body was found behind or under a fireplace in the Mitre? It was estimated that the baby was born about 70 years previously. My son in law was the police officer in charge of that case. He went to the baby's funeral and I remember how sad he was when he came home afterwards. I don't think they ever named the baby or knew who its family were.

regards
ps I remember being in the Alambra on the day that the King died crikey that makes me feel old. I would be about 4 or 5. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:36 pm 
Photographer

The Library was called Marshall's library,I remember that,in fact I think the building may still be there.It is roughly where the hand car wash is at the Mitre end of Trafalgar.
I also remember the baby behind the fireplace, I don,t suppose they will ever find out who,s baby it was.
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:03 pm 

David,my sister remembered the shop which sold all kinds of things but could not recall the owner's name. The Oracle of Trafalgar St and surrounding areas did however recall many more shops and people's names. Near the library and the cinema was also a Conservative Club she thinks. She is also trying her best to think where Pump St/Yard might have been. Next week I will call in the library and get those maps you very kindly discovered and hopefully put her out of her misery.
regards