Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:24 pm 

:? If James and Pricilla Berry both came from Reedley Hallows, would it be unusual for them to marry at St Mary's in Clitheroe?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:38 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

I'm sure I've asked this question myself a long time ago and Rex said Clitheroe would be the appropriate church for Reedley Hallows. But I've slept since then......

Edit - not so daft as I thought (if this link works)

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1782&p=9675&hilit=clitheroe+reedley#p9675

see Rex's post 24/10/08

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:53 am 
Computer Whizz

Thanks Maureen, I always forget that AND I know I have read it and thought--must remember that when searching. :roll:

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:51 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

You're one ahead of me. I think 'must remember that when searching' and when the day comes I need someone to remind me to remember :(

Last edited by portia on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:13 am 

As this Banks family lived in briercliffe for over 100 years with a thriving tailors business, does anyone know if there are any books that may have photo's of prominent business people in them?

thanks, Hannah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:25 pm 

Thanks, Portia - of course, you're right. Mary Lever/Leaver's daughter Tabitha married Henry Burrows in 1860, as his second wife - and of course, John Burrows was their son.
When I was at an earlier stage of researching this line of my other half, I'd got some idea that Mary had married post 1830 and been widowed prior to the 1841 census, and that her maiden name may have been "Jackson", but, as you know, when later I found out that the Mary Lever born Jackson wasn't the same age, and she popped up and was traceable in her own right, I realised I was wrong. I must have looked at some earlier notes pencilled in and not erased when checked out. Thanks for reminding me.
- But if you are "Collecting Levers" please can you keep her in your collection, in the hope that someday we can track her down? I really am trying so hard to tie her down somewhere, I have her in 1841 aged 25, a weaver, with children William and Tabitha, but in 1851 she seems to be (is the expression "living over the brush"?) with a Matthew Green, whilst her daughter is (Ah, I know now where I got the "Jackson" from, the grandmother is listed as "Mary Jackson, widow" with her grandma and the Lord family. [The marriage of Ellen and James Lord gives, I think, the bride's father's name as a John Jackson], but that's no help....) with her grandmother.
By 1861, when Tabitha marries Henry Burrows, Mary Leaver still seems to be with her Matthew Green, but I've not been able to ascertain what happens to her after that. I keep following up clues, and eliminating one "Mary Lever/Leaver" after another, but I can't pin the lady down at all! Can't find a firm candidate for death.
Thanks again, for reminding me. I'm grateful for it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:05 am 
Sage of Simonstone

So what was I saying about reminding me to remember?
Here's what else I just dug up. Mary Lever ws definitely an unmarried mother. Here's her daughter's birth and marriage details:
Date - 8 May 1840
Where - Hag Gate, Briercliffe
Name - Tabitha Lever
Sex - Girl
Father - ----------------------
Mother - Mary Lever
Occupation of Father - -------------
Informant - The mark of Mary (x) Lever, mother of Haggate, Briercliffe
Registered - 18 June 1840
Registrar - Thomas Sutcliffe, Registrar

When - 25 August 1860
Where - The Register Office, Burnley
Groom - Henry Burrows, 27years, widower, cotton power loom weaver of Haggate, Briercliffe
Bride - Tabitha Leaver, 20yrs, spinster, cotton power loom weaver of Haggate, Briercliffe
Grooms father - Henry Burrows, cotton twister
Brides father - ----------------------
Witnesses - Thomas Burrows and the mark (x) of Margaret Nuttall

A couple of years ago my tree got badly scewed up and I had to restore it from a back-up. Not everything got restored and these bits are obviously some of what didn't. (They're on again now tho).

Also here's what I posted 12/6/08, with regard to Tabitha's likely father.

"I'm sure I've been down this road before as I recognise some of the details I've just unearthed.
Tabitha appears on 1851 at Haggate with her grandmother. Trouble is it's a poor image and the names of her and her grandmother have been mis-transcribed.

Piece: 2251; Folio: 104; Page: 15
Haggate
Mary Rackser*, head, wid, 67, born Briercliffe
Tabatha Davis,** gr'daur, 12, born Briercliffe
Alen*** Lord, daur, 25, handloom weaver cotton, born Briercliffe
James Lord, son-in-law, 28, handloom weaver cotton, born Briercliffe
James Lord, gr'son 1 , born Briercliffe
John Lord, gr'son 4 , born Briercliffe
Robert Lord, gr'son 2days, born Briercliffe

*this should read 'Jackson'
**this should read 'Leaver'
***This should read 'Ellen'
So it looks like the father of Mary's child was a Jackson.

The Jackson family are at Haggate in 1841 with a 20-year old Tabatha, so that's obviously where the name came from

I only know it's Jackson because I looked up the son-in-law's marriage to find his wife's maiden name, then looked up the Jacksons on 1841 to make sure there was a family there that fit the bill.
On this one occasion I don't blame the transcriber!"

I've followed Mary through the censuses to 1881
In 1871 she's still with Matthew Green, living at Ash Hole Burnley. He dies in 1877,
In 1881 she's living on her own at Haggate as a washerwoman. There's a death in 1882 of a Mary Leaver aged 69. I've been through all my Mary Leavers, and all the Leaver wives called Mary and none of them fit this death so it may be her.

I note that on the censuses where Mary and Matthew are together, she sometimes describes herself as unmarried, and sometimes a widowed. He on the other hand always puts 'married' So maybe they were and maybe they were in fact 'living tally'
And yes, I'll definitely keep her on my tree. She's a challenge.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:51 pm 

Thanks, Portia, I do have your earlier reply, I appreciated the effort you'd put into helping me, and it did help me a great deal.
Like you I've hunted everywhere I can think of to try and track the wretched Mary Lever down, and I'd also noted the changes in status she gives.
I'd wondered about her for the 1882 death, and I'd made up a nice link with Lords and Emmets through possible links - in 1891 there's a "Tabitha Lord", daughter to Ellen Lord on New Hall Street, and in 1871 James Lord and Ellen have a pauper lodger, a Mary Jackson, with them, and in 1851 they are with a Mary Jackson who is Ellen's mother ( and Tabathey Lever is there, too) yet May Lever is nearby with her Matthew... I'm sure you can see why I can't forget about it, but keep worrying at it, trying to sort it out, and for some time my best bet had been: Mary Jackson (grandma)
Mary Lever ( daughter)
Tabitha Lever ( granddaughter)
And as Tabitha isn't a very common Christian name, I keep pursuing every one that I meet, on all sources.
Thanks for keeping them simmering, as it were. Rest assured, if I suddenly get it all sorted out, I'll be posting on here in capital letters! (Ouch, bad form, I know)