Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Grocers
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:32 pm 

A later Market Street ran on the East side of the old Market Hall. I think the Market Hall was built in 1870 so after the old street had been renamed.

Mo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:39 pm 

Gordon. On the subject of Maps, I suggest you use the Lancashire Mario Maps.
http://mario.lancashire.gov.uk/agsmario/

On the opening page click on Open Mario. This will give a view of Lancashire. Draw the initial expansion box under the "BC" of Burnley BC. This should give you the current Burnley centre. Use the expansion and move controls to get where you need to be.
In the left hand table select "Historical Information" then use the tick box for OS first addition 1,2500.

Takes a bit of getting familiar with but well worth the effort.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:49 pm 

Plaques
Many thanks for telling me about the MARIO mapping system - what a fantastic tool it is. It's answered my query about Market St (which ran north from St James Street along the west and north sides of the Market Hall leading to the Market Place). I've also used it to identify where my other g grandfather (the Blackpool policeman) lived - in an area which was redeveloped in the 60s. Appropriately his house was within the area where the law courts and police station now stand!

Where there's a will, there's a relative

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:54 pm 

Sorry Mo
I didn't spot your earlier message - could have saved myself the effort, but it was a useful introduction to MARIO.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:57 pm 

Gordon. I've just remembered that the Co-Op Branch No 1 at Duke Bar was built in 1892.
Just another little fact.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:55 am 

Thanks, Plaques - built 24 years after St Andrews Terrace, then. An article about retail property ownership in Edwardian Lancashire suggests to me that James Lupton and, later, Albert Lloyd would very probably leased the shop at 138 Colne Road. I don't suppose you know anything about who built/owned St Andrew's Terrace or any nearby properties on Colne Road?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:24 pm 

Gordon. I'm far from being any sort of authority on community history especially in the Duke Bar area.

The majority of Duke bar and the Colne Rd area was developed mainly in the period 1875 - 1900 in response to the cotton mills that had been built. Prior to that with the exception of a few houses and farms it was mostly green fields. Duke Bar as its name implies was because of the toll bar that positioned there.

The Duke of York Hotel was built in 1888 by the Burnley firm of builders "Parker's". The current Mr A Parker being a member of the Briercliffe Society.

For interest some of the date stones that can be seen in this area are:-
Jubilee Buildings 1887. 118 Colne Rd. Although the adjacent building look older than this date.
Angle Street Baptist, 1877. Angle St.
Granville Terrace 1879 190 Colne Rd.
York House 1884. Barden Lane
Waterbarn House 1894 Newman St.

I would guess that there were numerous builders involved in the area many employed dirrectly by the Mill owners

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:24 pm 

Gordon. If it helps to narrow the dates down a little both the 1908 & 1911 Barretts directories show 138 Colne Rd to be occupied by J H Lupton.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:42 am 

I'm still following up on my g.grandfather Albert Lloyd (a grocer on Colne Road, Duke Bar). I'm looking at the First World War now and in particular conscription & food shortages/rationing.
- I can't work out why his eldest son, James, (who would have been 20 shortly after the outbreak of war and 21 when conscription was introduced in 1916) was not conscripted. He, too, was a grocer's manager by then and I can't believe this would have been seen as a reserved occupation. I suppose he may have had a disability or been in poor health. I was interested to see in Papers Past an extract from the Burnley News in 1917 referring to military service tribunal decisions. Does anyone know where I might be able to find more local paper reports like this?
- I'd also be very interested to know if anyone has any insights into the availability of food locally during the 1914-18 war and the rationing scheme (introduced in 1918).