Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:06 pm 
Computer Whizz

Mel, don't think it was me who said that?

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:57 pm 
Spider Lady

Sorry, I'm getting confused with the Tickle conversation. My turn to have a senile moment! :shock:

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:38 am 
Sage of Simonstone

Thanks Joda for sending this and Mel for transcribing it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:05 pm 

joda wrote:
My grandad Hartley Stuttard was survivor and I have a copy of the letter he sent home to his wife. It is not written in his hand but has been rewritten by someone we presume in the press bureau where letters were censored. The original letter was kept and I would love to see it but would not know where to start my search. He mentions not having seen Harrison Wilkinson who was his brother in law and who perished. If anyone would be interested I can scan the letter

joda wrote:
Does anyone know how or if one can get hold of the original letters. My grandmother was told that grandads letter had been censored and rewritten but that the original had been kept for records.

Joda, as I understand it, the letter sent by Hartley to his wife was not in his hand?

One possibility is that he was too shaken to write himself & had a friend or the Chaplain write it for him.
Or he may have been more injured than he wished to tell her.
There is a letter from the ship's Doctor in the National Archives, but I feel this was an account written at the request of the authorities.
i think the Censor would have crossed out sensitive information, & let the letter through. Other men sent similar letters home.
Kath.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:06 pm 

Grandad himself said it was not the letter he had originally written and quite a few bits had been omitted. Quite a mystery

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:47 pm 

joda wrote:
Quite a mystery

I've looked in the National Archives Catalogue & found nothing - but not everything is in that Catalogue!

Yes, I guess we'll never know.

Kath.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:32 am 

Hi, I've only just found this Forum.

I've been researching my family history and we knew my great uncle died during WW1 at sea in 1915
but until last week we didn't put 2 and 2 together - he was on the Royal Edward.
Went to Burnley Library yesterday and looked at Burnley Express archive and in an article titled Missing and Saved: Ambulance men on Royal Edward, there he is - photo as well.

Private Thomas Stephens - "We are informed that the name of Private T Stephens No.18 Linby St (No 581) of the 2nd East Lancashire Filed Artillery? (RAMC) does not appear in the list of survivors of the Royal Edward."