Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Local Baptists: Studdart
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:02 pm 

Having seen Rex's recent post about his new Mormons booklet – with its mention of his booklets on Haggate and Colne Baptists (which I have just ordered from him by post) – I am promped to ask if anyone can help me link in some of the Baptists I have come across.

One of my great great grandfather Thomas Croasdale's sisters was Elizabeth Croasdale (baptised at Colne Particular Baptists on 20 November 1818.). From an Ancestry family tree, I discovered that she married Jabez Stuttard, baptist minister, on 3 September 1850, at Ebenezer Baptist Chapel, Burnley. I subsequently found Jabez (general Baptist Minister) and Elizabeth in Castle Acre, Norfolk in 1851. I haven't found them in 1861 but have found them later at Crowle, North Lincs. I assume that, given his occupation, this Jabez must be related to the John Stuttard mentioned in Rex's Haggate supplement.

It seems that apparently unusual names were really quite common locally - I see that there was at least one other Jabez Stuttard born in Colne in the early 19th century!

Ruth

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:16 pm 

Nice to know I have an order on the way !

There is some detail of the STUTTARDs in an Appendix to the Colne booklet, where I make mention of genealogical information to be found in the online Newsletters of the Pendle Branch of the Lancs FHHS.

The STUTTARDs are a complicated clan !

The Jabez at Crowle etc was the son of John, married Sally WALLBANK. John was the son of Jabez, married Betty DYSON. This Jabez was brother to John the minister at Colne. Their father was another Jabez ! [I'm no expert on the genealogy of this family : most detail I have given here comes from Peter Walsh, involved in the newsletters I mention.]

There is more on the site about this family I think.

Rex

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:53 am 

Many thanks Rex for the information re Stuttard baptists. I'm looking forward to reading more in your booklets in due course. Thanks too for the reference to the FHHS website, which I didn't know about before. I had already seen references to Stuttards on this Forum.

Ruth