Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:33 pm 

The Sparrow Hawk, now closed as a hotel, still retains a side window advertising its wines and spirits.
see attachment. The question is "Who was Philip Constantine and what year(s) would this window be referring to?

Attachments:
P9070300AD.jpg
P9070300AD.jpg [ 30.75 KiB | Viewed 12743 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:29 am 
Computer Whizz

I have searched ancestry and Lancs bmds. I have looked through Bennett's History of Burnley, and his History of Marsden and Nelson, but there is no mention of a Philip Constantine.
There is a reference to a King Constantine on this site here--- viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4144

Just as an after thought you could contact the Pendle and Burnley Branch of LFHHS to see what they could add---- branch e-mail address---- pendle@lfhhs.org.uk

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:59 pm 

Thanks Gloria for your suggestion. Before I start getting others involved I will search through a few of the trade directories and see what they throw up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:48 am 
Spider Lady

On the 1911 census there is a Philip Constant born 1894 and living in Woolwich and also a Philip Constantine born 1904 and listed as a boarder at a private school in Worksop.

Looking at the birth indexes, there is no Philip Constantine born locally but there are a few born Lancashire and Yorkshire. There were only 46 listings in total (from 1837 to 2006) on the index for this name.

Moving on to the death indexes, there are only 2 deaths for 'Philip Constantine'. One in Durham in 1959 and one in Barton, Lancs in 1977.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:57 pm 

The only Constantine I ever heard of in the area is Sir Leary the cricketer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:15 pm 
Genealogist in Waiting

Oh, this thread triggered something in my poor addled brain! I remember as a child my grandparents were very friendly with a neighbour on Granville Street...referred to always as Mrs Constantine. This would be 60 years ago...and at that time Mrs. C. would have been over 60 herself. You do the math!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:43 pm 

The Sparrow Hawk was built around 1888. I doubt if this window was painted at the time of the build. In its time this was a very prestigious hotel. Constantine may not have been a local supplier but could have been of sufficient standing to advertise his name here.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:23 pm 

The Philip Contantine lettering looks as though it has been added at a later date as it is not quite as sharp. All licensed premises had to have the name of the "landlord" over the door so I don`t think it was advertising. Perhaps this was altered at a much later date.

Mo