Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Caygill - Storey family
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:32 pm 

I am researching my family history. I have looked at the 1891 census for my Great grandfather James Caygill (born in 1860 Newbiggin Yorkshire)
In his household in 1891 was 4 of his children and also another family named Storey. James was a widower and later married Elizabeth Storey. She had two daughters by a previous relationship, the eldest Jane was 1 years old and baby Elizabeth was 1 month old. At this time they lived at Pike Hill Burnley. ( These two children both died, Jane was 5 and Elizabeth :?: was 12 months old)
Moving on to the 1901 census it shows a Joseph W Storey age 15 living with them at Saxifield Farm. He was Elizabeth's younger brother.
I am interested in finding if there is any connection to Storey's bakery in Harle Syke. :) The gentleman that ran the shop was call Gerald or Gerard and his wife Gladys.
I do not know if they were called Storey or were they just employees. My Great Aunt Maud Potter and also my mother in law Gertrude Braithwaite both worked there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:29 am 
Spider Lady

Hi, welcome to the forum.
I'm not from the area myself so forgive me for having to ask - when did Storeys have/work the bakery?

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:21 am 

Hello, I think it would be in the 1960's .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:40 am 
Spider Lady

Obviously census records won't apply for the 60's so I have had a look at births and deaths to see if I could find any mention of Gerald/Gerard. I haven't found a birth or death for the name but then we don't know that he was born or died in the district.

I'll email Roger and ask if he knows anything about Storeys bakery and its origins.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:24 am 

Thank you Mel, That is very kind of you. I have had a look for Gerald on the census and I cant find anything. I think he could have been born approx between 1920 and 1940.
I am subscribed to "Find my past" which is very useful (and time consuming) Regards.posting.php?mode=reply&f=6&t=4393#

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:36 am 
Spider Lady

Just to confirm, I have sent an email to Roger this morning.

One of my Nans brothers (Frank Sutcliffe) married an Elizabeth Ann Storey in Morpeth in 1923. I think he was stationed in that area while serving in the army. He was from Burnley (& lived in Harle Syke as a boy with his parents) but I'm not sure about her origins.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:07 pm 

I remember Gerald and Gladys Storey had the cake shop in Harle Syke in the 1950's to1960's. They had a daughter called Cynthia who is on the school photo's on this site. Gerald used to bring pies and cakes to the shop in Lane Bottom for the mill workers to buy for lunch.I also remember your mum in law and the family - some of the family went to Haggate school when I did.

Happy memories - Sylvia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:24 pm 
Computer Whizz

I remember Storeys, it was still there when we left Haggate in 1985. fantastic steak pudding, peas and gravy.
My husband went to Haggate school with a Stewart Storey who spent a lot of his time at Caygill's Stoneyrakes farm

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

Last edited by Gloria on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:50 pm 

Elizabeth Storey was born in 1871 in Starbotton Near Skipton.
She married my Great Grandfather James in 1892.
My Great Grandfather James (B. 1860) farmed at Saxifield and then his son James (B.1903) took the farm over.
Elizabeth's younger brother Joseph W. Storey (B.1886) appears on the 1901 census and lived at Saxifield Farm with his sister Elizabeth and his family. I have looked on people search and a Joseph W. Storey married in 1910 (someone, don't know who.)
I was wondering was he the father of Gerald Storey?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:15 pm 
Computer Whizz

Pretty sure Gerald and Gladys were not called Storey, although the shop was always known as that.
Roger will definitely know.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:09 pm 
Spider Lady

Roger has replied

My sister lives in the Storey family's old house which is in Haggate. The bakery was founded in the early 20th c (I have the date somewhere) and was originally a bakers and butchers with a large café above. The café was open each lunch time for the workers in the mills in the village. There was only one mill which had a canteen so those who wanted a proper lunch had to leave their mill and go to one of the cafe's in the village. There were 4 or 5 of these at one time. I remember Gladys and Gerald. Both of them were very hard workers and I think that I am correct in saying that they were married. Gladys had hearing problems. I helped Gerald, when he was elderly, with a disabled parking space for outside his house. I do not think that either Gladys or Gerald were Storeys. Eventually Gerald bought the business. When I was a boy I helped Storey's delivery man, Mr Hutchinson, taking pies and cakes to Seedhill which was Nelson's football and cricket ground. Incidentally, Storey's made very good (and I mean excellent) meat & potato pies and peas. Their scones were second to none. In the village there were 4 confectioners when I was a boy and the following is what they were best at, according to my mother who knew about these things. They were Storeys - meat, and meat and potato pies; Drivers, bread; Thornton's, dainties, and Harle Syke Café, cakes. Mum was a baker by training and when she was not able to do her own baking, which she usually did, she knew which shop had the best pies, bread, cakes etc.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:55 am 
Computer Whizz

We think Gerald and Gladys's surname was Parkinson but not 100% sure.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:23 pm 
Spider Lady

It's highly likely, I have found a Gerald Parkinson marrying a Gladys Appleby in the 1950's in the Nelson district

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:03 pm 

Thanks for all the information on Gerald and Gladys. Perhaps I will have to look further back to find the Storey family. Does anyone have the address of the bakery? I could do a search on the address and perhaps that would tell me who started the bakery.
By the way I have found a really good website - "Dales Geneology" Its brilliant if anyone needs to research their family from that area.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:54 am 
Spider Lady

I did reply to Roger to ask if he knew anything of the origins of the Storeys, he hasn't got back to me yet.

Is this the link for the Dales Genealogy site? http://dalesgenealogy.com/