Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:17 pm 

Does anyone have a photo of the old Elim Chapel Briercliffe Rd? Some time ago I photographed an old foundation stone that was part of a bit of memorabilia associated with the chapel. I would now like to reference it against the chapel itself.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:18 am 
Computer Whizz

Have you tried Burnley Library, they may be able to help? or Burnley History Society.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:30 am 

Or the chapel during the week, when the older groups meet.

They must have an old photo.

If you get really stuck I know who has all the old records and should have photo's, I can send you his contact details , he only lives on Brunshaw rd area,

Lancashire Lantern have a half picture on line so the library may be the best route.

Good luck

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:57 pm 

Thanks to everyone. I'll work through your suggestions. I don't get into Burnley too often so it may be a slow process.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:28 am 
Spider Lady

I have an old address book that belonged to my nan. It has a list of names in the back and I'm sure it says Elim at the top. I'll check this first but if it is the case, I'd like to have the contact details from you please Hannah

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:19 pm 

My original query was for the Elim. Partly because it no longer exists but mainly because I think its a shame that all the individual effort recorded by these foundation stones is simply lost to future generations. Over the past years I've been quietly trying to photograph as many church and chapel stones that I can find. I know this pastime attracts some wry comments but if anyone knows of stones or even chapels that time has forgotten I would be pleased to hear from them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:24 am 
Spider Lady

I thoroughly enjoy your posts (and the pictures you have shared wth us) of stones and markings that we walk past, daily in some cases, and just don't see.

When we did a walk with Roger last year, there was a stone in the wall on the Haggate boundary (on the road that takes you to St Pauls at Little Marsden). I forget the full story behind it, I was having difficulty hearing what was being said, but I'm sure he told us it was something to do with Robert Towneley Parker. I seem to remember it had the initials RTP on it. Do you know anything about it Plaques?

Going back to Elim, I posted the list of names from Nans book some years ago - found at this link viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1284

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:45 am 

There are two plaques on the chapel ( now not in use) corner of Hebrew Road and main road just before the bridge at Prestige.

The bottom one is clean and readable but the top one is not to clean and the writing is not very clear but I don't think it is a chapel name?

Any clues, Hannah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:36 pm 

Hi Plaques,

I also enjoy your posts. What was Claremont Street United Methodists has some foundation stones with names on and a row with just initials.

Mo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:44 pm 

These replies are one at a time so that I don't get confused.
Mels boundary stone.

I made a comment about this stone referring to one of Roger's newspaper articles. I think his reply was something to the effect that the stone mason - wall builder suffered from dyslexia and got the lettering mixed up. I would have thought that RTP (Robert Townley Parker) would have been very picky about having his initials mixed up (RPT) . But I'm not knowledgeable enough to argue.

Attachment:
P7110033AC.jpg
P7110033AC.jpg [ 120.79 KiB | Viewed 16371 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:53 pm 

Mo's Claremont Chapel.
I've take pictures of all these stones. All in reasonable condition.
Thanks for your reply.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:47 pm 

Hannah. I think you mean the Ebenezer Chapel. If you are talking about something at ground level then I have missed them. The two main plaques that I've seen are shown below. The fist appears to be a re-cut of the original date stone, while the second is on the newer building facing Colne Rd.
The Ebenezer school room was used as an annex to the Burnley Grammar school. They used to try to teach me Latin and English literature here. I think room 101 had nothing on this place.

Attachment:
P3090266AD.jpg
P3090266AD.jpg [ 86.29 KiB | Viewed 16365 times ]

Attachment:
P3090267AD.jpg
P3090267AD.jpg [ 50.36 KiB | Viewed 16365 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:58 pm 

Yes thanks, the first one is the one I couldn't read

Wow, 1787, would that be one of the early places of that type of worship?

Keep up your work, it is proving fascinating. I seem to spend more time reading these stones than I ever did before.

Hannah

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:45 pm 

Hannah, 1787 makes it the oldest date stone in Burnley. That is not counting those on graves.
The re-cycled stone on the Sion 1830 comes second and the finial on Dawson's Square 1837 third.
The above dates are my findings. Any advance on these would be most welcome.

Note the 1626 date on the side of the Talbot is still a mystery although I now think I've got a reasonable explanation for it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:05 am 

George111 would be king at that time?
As the stone is roughly carved , wonder what the original place of worship looked like??

By the way, no I haven't lost track of the original question about Elim, still trying to find someone who knew it and has a photo :)